Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

Stoke post match 1-1

12 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

Mahrez appears apathetic these days - nothing like the player he was two seasons ago. Is that because he has no-one to share the creative load with? Or because the grass seems to be getting greener and greener elsewhere. At one point he chose to shoot wide instead of passing to Vardy. Other times he was shoddy in possession and, so unlike him, sending poorly weighted passes forward. Shaquiri, his counterpart, showed limitless desire to be involved. Mahrez only bucks up when the team bucks up - and that only began to happen after Gray and Simpson were subbed (and they were feisty at the start). Albrighton worked hard, as did Chilwell, - but they lack Mahrez's incisiveness. Vardy had little to work off - as usual. He was nowhere near atrocious - that's just hyperbole.

Maybe Puel needs to recognise Mahrez needs ball-players to take the load and bring the ball forward. Diabate should now be starting the game - instead of Gray.

Is Dragovic now the better alternative to Morgan - he appears to be a better passer of the ball. Maybe Amartey would offer more scope for transitioning play than Simpson.

Puel's not going to get away with defensive thinking against Chelsea.

Thankfully in the Chelsea game I dont think it matters what tactics Puel plays, the crowd an players will take it upon themselves to revert to whatever is needed on the day.

Edited by Beachyboy

Outplayed

out fought

out thought

I'm starting to lose belief in Puel. We are actually going backwards now. He clearly doesn't believe in attacking football. We pass sideways and backwards but hardly ever forwards. We are so slow moving from defense to attack it is unreal. His tactics are a bit like when you were at school and you had one kid far better than everyone else so you just keep on giving the ball in the hope he can win you the game. What on earth does he say to Chillwell- run to about ten yards inside their half then stop cut inside and pass it backwards?

Why does he persist with James and Ndidi in midfield. this = zero creativity and both were worse than poor today.

1 striker at home against the side next to bottom what the hell is that all about?

What has happened to the high tempo and pressing and electric quick breaks which won us the league. As far as I'm concerned his tactics are sucking the life blood out of us and even sucking the enthusiasm from the supporters. The atmosphere was terrible and this is surely a reflection on the football being played.

We didn't look motivated. At times they simply seemed to want the ball more. Ok we scraped a point but let's hope we can scrape enough to get past 40 because we sure don't look like winning many before the end of the season. Two very poor sides played out a very poor draw. Not acceptable by us in any shape or form.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, reynard said:

Outplayed

Amazing, wrong from the very first word... we controlled the game, they scored with their only real attempt. What they did was defend very well, set up to force us to probe and pick to get through or lob it into the box, and we consistently went the second. We lacked ideas to break them down, but we certainly weren't outplayed.

• Like 1

Just now, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Really? You know what I mean but I will bite - so, why? Certainly in the case of James. Ndidi is looking jaded too at the moment and his first touch continues to be a real weakness although I like him.

You asked the question why we're not playing those who fit Puels style - who then, aside from Simpson who is in based on a lack of options if nothing else, is playing who doesn't fit his style?

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Amazing, wrong from the very first word... we controlled the game, they scored with their only real attempt. What they did was defend very well, set up to force us to probe and pick to get through or lob it into the box, and we consistently went the second. We lacked ideas to break them down, but we certainly weren't outplayed.

Well if that is controlling the game then I'd hate to see us when we don't. Sorry I disagree with you but that's football for you. We looked like the side in the bottom three for much of the game.

• Like 1

We looked shit.

Why are we playing James?? 

We don't take chances at all....Stoke were a wank team and did fa but score all game. How many corners did we have ffs?!

So disappointed. Let's be honest we are not that good as we seem to think we see. Should be so much better. Puel has a lot to answer for imo too. Strange tactics.

Chillwell was wank I thought again. I really rated him until recently too.

Mahrez almost wanted to do too much and Vardy was isolated all game

hate midday kickoffs. no intensity. no atmosphere. just plain wrong.

Morgan's limited passing ability really obvious having had dragovic in there. Chilwell, James and Gray especially disappointing today.

Silva good enough for Portugal and Iborra good enough for Sevilla yet we persist with James and playing 3 wingers in the same team.

Kaspet also v lucky not to have conceded eith yet another poor kick out. 

Overall a very disjointed performance, only the last 5 mins we actually looked like putting real pressure on.

MOTM Buckland lol. Funny that the announcer gave him the goal as they usually don't!

1 minute ago, reynard said:

Well if that is controlling the game then I'd hate to see us when we don't. Sorry I disagree with you but that's football for you. We looked like the side in the bottom three for much of the game.

Just to check, you did actually watch the game right? They ventured forward on about 3/4 occasions, got a goal then just defended. They went for the smash and grab. We had pretty much all of the ball and territory - what we didn't have was the creativity to open them up.

Outplayed is what we were a fortnight ago, not having the majority of the territory and not knowing what to do with it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Just to check, you did actually watch the game right? They ventured forward on about 3/4 occasions, got a goal then just defended. They went for the smash and grab. We had pretty much all of the ball and territory - what we didn't have was the creativity to open them up.

Outplayed is what we were a fortnight ago, not having the majority of the territory and not knowing what to do with it.

Yes I watched the game and personally I thought they controlled it with the exception of the first 4 minutes and the last 10.

Just now, The Doctor said:

So in other words you can't actually answer the question of who is playing who doesn't suit the style as you complained about...

Since you don't appear to understand English I will say it again.  IMHO, Iborra and Silva are better players possession and passing wise, which seems to be Puel's preferred way, than James as are Amartey and Dragovic similarly better than Simpson and Morgan. That clear? You might disagree but I gave you my view.

Just now, reynard said:

Yes I watched the game and personally I thought they controlled it with the exception of the first 4 minutes and the last 10.

So, you missed 75 minutes of us pumping the ball in, them clearing it easily to the halfway line for us to pump in again? Lucky you, but just clearing everything is not outplaying a side

1 minute ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Since you don't appear to understand English I will say it again.  IMHO, Iborra and Silva are better players possession and passing wise, which seems to be Puel's preferred way, than James as are Amartey and Dragovic similarly better than Simpson and Morgan. That clear? You might disagree but I gave you my view.

When you say we're not playing those who fit Puels style, that means those who are playing don't fit, not that you'd rather different players who also fit his style. Let's be clear, James is a good passer, tidy, keeps it moving. What he lacks is a creative spark - he plays the five yard recycling balls, which is tbf what Iborra does as well.

10 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Agree we had the majority of the ball, and didn’t know what to do with it, but at no point did they dominate us.

Two poor sides out there today, and probably on balance, and taking my blue tinted specs off, with their  goal, giving us a goal, they should have won though, as until butland gifted us a goal, I don’t think we’d have scored in 180 minutes, it was going to be one of them games

Edited by Monsell1976

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

I try to be objective and I do get wrapped up in the game so maybe I was doing him an injustice. It's always misguided to pick out one player when a team is misfiring - and I suspect I decry him because I want to see Silva or Iborra start. He's just too 'passive' for me.

By the way, has anyone told you yet one of your posts was quoted in the i yesterday - pre-Stoke thread? Must have contacted you - it's kind of copyright???

Ha ha no I've not seen that!

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

When you say we're not playing those who fit Puels style, that means those who are playing don't fit, not that you'd rather different players who also fit his style. Let's be clear, James is a good passer, tidy, keeps it moving. What he lacks is a creative spark - he plays the five yard recycling balls, which is tbf what Iborra does as well.

We'll have to disagree then. 

13 minutes ago, reynard said:

I've got to be honest, it was the worst showing of PL football I've seen this year. I think we have been very lucky of late that there are about 3 teams worse than us currently. 

This talk of 7th needs to stop, we will be lucky to remain in the top 12 with the dross that has been served up of late.

Really poor display of football today and it lies at Claude's door I'm afraid.

3 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Agree we had the majority of the ball, and didn’t know what to do with it, but at no point did they dominate us.

Two poor sides out there today, and probably on balance, and taking my blue tinted specs off, with their  goal, giving us a goal, they should have won though, as until butland gifted us a goal, I don’t think we’d have scored in 180 minutes, it was going to be one of them games

Should have won? What we judging that from? We had more chances, more of the play.

We have issues, but we we are better than them.

Worst second half performance I have seen for a long while. Schmeichel looked a liability and every time Maguire got the ball he looked like he was going to lose it. Matty James shouldn’t of been on the pitch as he offered nothing and Vardy hardly touched the ball second half. 

Edited by Marmite

in a game when we needed passing ability and a calm head we leave silva and iborra on the bench 

and nacho ? i was super excited when he came but that passed very quickly , the guy looks lost half the time and the other half hes waving his hands in the air moaning about the ball he just lost. he lacks intensity and desire which slimani had in bags (just saying) 

we also spent most of the afternoon trying to cross balls into the box for a big man with heading ability to latch onto and were was he ....oh thats right newcastle and brighton 

im just not sure this team is cut out for slow build up play and passing and needs an overhaul if thats the way we are going 

opposing teams are now getting the time to mark the danger players and we are giving the ball away to much and sitting off them allowing them to be creative and find space which they failed to get when we were a counter attack pressing team .