Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

Stoke post match 1-1

24 minutes ago, Callabinho said:

I think anymanager who doesn’t walk in and win the league again will be criticised for some time by some sections of our fans. It’s clear we’re still in a stage of transition, and will be until Puel has had time to bring in his own players. 

But in the meantime do you think it would be better to play to players strengths and set up accordingly or else he won’t be given the chance to bring in his own players!!

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Jesus,are you blind...Vardy was racing in and nearly got a Nick.....

Calm your self down kid, it wasn’t a dig at vardy, it’s stating a fact, I would be getting frustrated at the lack of service, and the amount of hopeless balls lumped to him, I personally don’t think he’s as motivated to chase the lost causes as he used to be, probably because there are so many hopeless balls played up to him.

I personally think vardy is suffering the most under the new style, and feel frustrated 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Calm your self down kid, it wasn’t a dig at vardy, it’s stating a fact, I would be getting frustrated at the lack of service, and the amount of hopeless balls lumped to him, I personally don’t think he’s as motivated to chase the lost causes as he used to be, probably because there are so many hopeless balls played up to him.

I personally think vardy is suffering the most under the new style, and feel frustrated 

The same vardy that had scored in the previous 5 games.... 

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

That result, for me is on Puel.

There were a number of decisions to make for the line up. A lot of 50/50 choices and for me, he got nearly all of them wrong.

Danny Simpson. Simpson is in Football Manager terms, a defensive full back. He's trying to get forward more under Puel and it's not anything to do with his attitude, but he just isn't any good at it. He overlaps better but is pretty hopeless on the ball, and consequently we create nothing from it.

Matty James. I don't think he's a bad player, and has a part to play, but I don't buy he's one of our best two midfielders. I need to see more of Silva to be sure of what I think of him, but I thought the game bypassed James yesterday and it's not the first time.

Demarai Gray. I'm sorry, I'm close to giving up with thinking he'll ever amount to anything more than an occasionally tricky player at this level. No matter how many chances he gets, he ends up flattering to deceive. I really do think if Bournemouth are back in for him this summer we should sell him. Diabate looks for me, more intelligent, more selfless, more productive, just a better player and I'd be starting him against Bournemouth.

Can't believe some people blamed Mahrez. He's had better games but as per usual he was still our best player.

Ultimately he picked a team that isn't suited to the way he wants us to play, which is to dominate and control the game, Stoke let us do it anyway, which made for a very bland game and I think it's going to be a theme. I put a 1-0 win but I was never confident in all honesty. I don't trust us to win these kinds of games at the minute. It's like watching England.

If he wants to play that way, he's got to make some significant changes in the summer.

Excellent post... I completely agree.

Wasn't great at all and a win would have covered up some of the cracks, hopefully lessons have been learned and we move on experiments tried that have not worked. Could well be by next season from the league winning side only Vardy and Kasper will be  regular starters and Kasper needs a better understudy to push him, maybe the chap from Sheff Utd. The back 4 have had their best days and if not moved on will not be nailed on starters. Only Marc A will be here from the midfield and just Shinji and vards from the forwards. Will be an interesting pre season, lets hope we have European football on offer

17 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

So you don’t think vardy is isolated then, I didn’t say he hasn’t score, I said he is isolated and has had to adapt more than anyone

He was isolated yesterday but only because stoke did a job on him, it will happen some games but I thought vardy actually lacked desire a bit yesterday as well 

• Thanks 1

For all the moaning that we're doing, let's think about this:

We've lost 2 matches since we lost 2-1 to Liverpool. How long ago does that feel? One of them was to Manchester City at Manchester City.

We ought to have won yesterday, we ought to have won against Swansea. Multiple efforts in both matches saved miraculously or hitting the post. 

We'll be okay. I woke up this morning feeling like it was a loss yesterday.

Dans big post raised the question about puels decision making.  Now i don't dislike puel.... but i hope he has people around him who van go throufh these decisions.   In the days of some of our previoys managers  often wondered if we were watching the same games or having the same priorities  . I hope puel evaluates his own decisions

7 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

That result, for me is on Puel.

There were a number of decisions to make for the line up. A lot of 50/50 choices and for me, he got nearly all of them wrong.

Danny Simpson. Simpson is in Football Manager terms, a defensive full back. He's trying to get forward more under Puel and it's not anything to do with his attitude, but he just isn't any good at it. He overlaps better but is pretty hopeless on the ball, and consequently we create nothing from it.

Matty James. I don't think he's a bad player, and has a part to play, but I don't buy he's one of our best two midfielders. I need to see more of Silva to be sure of what I think of him, but I thought the game bypassed James yesterday and it's not the first time.

Demarai Gray. I'm sorry, I'm close to giving up with thinking he'll ever amount to anything more than an occasionally tricky player at this level. No matter how many chances he gets, he ends up flattering to deceive. I really do think if Bournemouth are back in for him this summer we should sell him. Diabate looks for me, more intelligent, more selfless, more productive, just a better player and I'd be starting him against Bournemouth.

Can't believe some people blamed Mahrez. He's had better games but as per usual he was still our best player.

Ultimately he picked a team that isn't suited to the way he wants us to play, which is to dominate and control the game, Stoke let us do it anyway, which made for a very bland game and I think it's going to be a theme. I put a 1-0 win but I was never confident in all honesty. I don't trust us to win these kinds of games at the minute. It's like watching England.

If he wants to play that way, he's got to make some significant changes in the summer.

Great to see a measured and thought provoking post Dan. 

• Like 1

This could be an interesting listen to tonight and to hear Gerry's thoughts on the game;

Join former Leicester City and Stoke City defender Gerry Taggart on Monday night’s Weekend Review show from 6pm GMT.

- Leicester City legend Gerry Taggart joins Sam Putnam in the LCFC TV studio on Monday night
- Weekend Review starts at 6pm GMT and will take a detailed look at Saturday's clash with Stoke City
- The two sides played out a 1-1 draw at King Power Stadium
- Foxes fans who are Digital Members can tune in for free on LCFC.com

Alongside presenter Sam Putnam, Taggart, who was on hand in the pressbox on Saturday to commentate on the game for LCFC Radio, will take a look at the Foxes’ display against Stoke.

Not defending the poor performance of Gray but I could see what Puel wanted him, Mahrez and Albrighton to do behind Vardy..

CP probably wanted them to interchange as needed and break their defending formation to create more space but Gray slows down pace by keeping the ball for too long..

He just seems to be Mahrez wanna be and running straight into opposition just to lose possession..

Silva I think could have done much better job in Grays position and King as well if he was here..

I like what he's trying to do, but I'm seriously starting to question Puel's judgment after recent performances. 

Ultimately the buck has to stop somewhere for the recent spate of poor decisions on team selection and substitutions. 

To some extent I do have some sympathy with the argument that this isn't 'his' team - but still, some of the decisions are baffling, almost random in their absurdity. 

Perfect encapsulation of this on Saturday was Wes gesticulating wildly to the bench after Puel's double substitution, clearly he had no idea what was going on. 

Needs to buck up his ideas or I can see us sliding down the league pretty rapidly, although thankfully we are all but safe already... 

On 24/02/2018 at 23:04, Gerbold said:

I don't share your confidence in the ability of the team to make the best decisions. Puel will decide on the squad - if there are no leaders and thinkers on the field then there'll be no "whatever is needed".

Schmeichel, Maguire, Morgan an Vardy are 4 leaders straight away that will play

On 2/26/2018 at 16:04, F1_AN said:

Not read entire thread but has anyone come up with a good reason why Morgan backed off shaquiri and even opened up space for the shot?  No attempt at all to close the space in front of him. Unforgivable 

Plenty of players at fault there for me. Simpson's pass was poor, Ndidi gave the ball away from it, James came over and gave them far too much space in midfield, Morgan backed off and I think Schmeichel arguably could do better too. Just a really crap goal to concede.

Can't argue that the first half performance was awful. No tempo and seemed to not know how to deal with the ultra negative tactics from Stoke. However, was a shame that James hit the post late on as he would have been spared all the stupid victimisation and Puel would have deserved credit for turning things around. Fine margins as Pearson/Shakespeare would have said. 

On 3/1/2018 at 06:08, Gerbold said:

I think you and I have a different idea of what constitutes a 'leader'. I'm thinking of those individuals who read the game as they play and/or direct and command their team mates - by instruction or their presence. For example: Alfredo di Stefano, Dave McKay, Billy Bremner, Franz Beckenbauer, Graham Souness, Dunga, Bryan Robson, Andrea Pirlo, Roy Keane and others. You may not have heard of some of them but they're all to be found on Wiki.

Vardy's no leader and Schmeichel is too far away from outfield play (except when defending corners and free kicks). Morgan is a exemplary battler and Maguire is a steadying presence but a player is needed further upfield to really assess and direct the game. Technically Mahrez is the most capable but has no idea of leading, as such.

All those names are from some time ago - bar Pirlo. I can't think of anyone in the Premier who emulates them - de Bruyne is an excellent reader of a game and maybe Eriksen but leadership has largely been sidelined in professional football. Players are given detailed instruction on what to do - that smothers true leadership.

I find it offensive that you are not even keeping the conversation in context by not mentioning 1 Leicester city player throughout the whole clubs history and frankly, currently you could count on 1 hand in the whole league that caliber of leader, an yet you expect Leicester to have a Beckenbauer esque leader? we may have won the league but Bayern Munich or Real Madrid we are not. I have heard of all of those players but would appreciate if it was more specific to the football club, like who you think is out there that would come to the football club to improve this aspect?

Edited by Beachyboy

14 hours ago, Gerbold said:

Then you're very easily offended and apparently emotionally a tad leading toward the fan-atic. Remember that we're all City fans on here - some might display less fervour but hold just as much affection for the team.

You haven't read my post either objectively or well enough to respond sensibly. You're wandering from my point, but to answer you - for me, City are greater than Bayern or Real could ever be. And here you are telling me you're put out because I haven't named a City player in the context you deem appropriate.

Did I state that I expected City to have a Franz Beckenbauer-esque player? Men like him emerge infrequently in football - that's why the list is so short. I was drawing your attention to the essence of what makes the ideal leader - in football terms. Ok - if you're upbraiding me for not mentioning a Leicester player, I'll try to worship at your particular shrine. John O'Neill, Steve Walsh, Matt Elliott, Gary Mac, Colin Appleton - they were the kind of players I'm alluding to (although Walshy wasn't exactly a Corinthian style of captain).

As to who is "out there" who could be bought in to fulfil that need - that's crystal-ball reading! Have you any ideas yourself?

I'd much prefer it if someone in the squad developed those qualities - ideally in midfield. But I won't hold my breath. You state that there are a handful of players who are of that calibre in the Premier at the moment. I can't think of one. I'd be interested in your mighty handful might be..

I appreciate your humour, an will acknowledge, much like the word Legend is banded about far to easily so is the word leader, I believe Vincent Kompany is a true leader, but due to injury hasn't really had many opportunities to display it, an watching him play in the Carabao cup final actually made me worry about Belgium for the first time, as for all their individual talent it's the key missing ingredient in their team. A lot has been talked on other forums of getting Silva or Iborra in the team, I would look to 1 of those two players, maybe not to be a leadership figure, but be a calming influence, as you quite rightly say we can get drawn into the emotion of the game sometimes in this country and fail to see things objectively, I may well have been guilty of this in some of my earlier posts. In terms of who is out there, I know what I don't want which is more expensive risky signings, I would really like to see another from the academy break through into the team and surpass Chilwell, which has to be possible with the success the U23's seem to currently be having.

Regardless of the result today HT 0-1 think we are in for another 1-1 home draw, you can see the players instinct is to just knock it long to Vardy an yet, they aren't most of the time, the change to a more possession based game isn't an unconscious instinct but as long as we are away from the relegation places, I reckon its gonna need at least another 12 months to consistently get right game in game out. The Mahrez situation needs sorting, he needs to leave an replacement of as close to the quality as possible brought in. Pre season should give Puel 4-6 weeks to solidly work on these concepts, an I wouldn't really be prepared to comment on his impact until this time next year, when he has had more time an 2 more transfer Windows with money available recruitment is key, with 3 quality additions 6th place could be up for grabs next season.