Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt_Lcfc

PUEL IN

Puel has us trying to play a style of football Leicester fans are just not used to. We've only ever really had Sousa who had us trying to play football like this and he was soon binned off. And so I can understand why people are frustrated by this slow, patient football that isn't quite delivering right now which fans aren't used to. Tbf the most frustrated are probably the daftness that thought we'd challenge for top 4 before the Palace game. Anyway, let's be honest, at home, we are pretty dull to watch. I can also see why Southampton fans were fed up of him. 

But he has to be given time to bring in and work with players that can actually play football. We'll lose Mahrez and it's imperative we replace him properly but we will still need a bit more creativity added, full backs that can actually do the job Puel wants, and replacements for those past it. He's done alright considering what he's had at his disposal. I don't know if it will be any more exciting next year but he has to be given the chance to properly implement what he wants with players capable. 

Huge summer ahead for everyone at the club, can't afford to mess it up. A European campaign might help recruitment but I think it would be bad news for our season. 

Happy to give him more time, we have a lot of players who just don't fit in with his approach.

Saying that, there are some things I feel he needs to sort;

-Some of his team selections are confusing (we look a lot better with Iborra back in the side- god knows why he persisted with James, those points dropped at home could cost us another European tour) 

- He leaves his subs very late and struggles to make an impact tactically during games

I also think it was slightly strange that we didn't do more business in January, considering we were looking to implement a completely new style and had big problem positions in moving that forward.

The interviews really don't concern me.

I'm just frustrated that we could be left wondering what might have been this season, but I suppose it's credit to him for having us in that position in the first place, and no worry of a relegation scrap coming into the final few games.

I do want puel to stay but imo it will come down to how we do in our remaining home games. We've got Newcastle, west ham, southampton and arsenal. Probably not in the right order but they are all winable even arsenal with how they are doing. I think with southampton last season didn't score in the last 5 home games. I certainly hope he gets who he wants in the summer. Even looking at the away games with the expection of spurs they are winable. Overall there's no reason why we shouldn't be looking at least winning 5 out of the 8. 

9 hours ago, Babylon said:

People keep acting like we're not scoring as well, we've scored 45 goals, the best outside the top 6. The nearest is Watford with 6 less... and in context Chelsea have only scored 7 more than us. United in second only 13 more and they've spent how many hundreds of millions on attacking talent?

In seven of our last eight matches, we have been held to one goal, with a number of games at KP against inferior talent. Yes, we were scoring earlier in the season, but now we aren't, and it is most directly due to Puel's philosophy of starting heavily defensive line-ups against inferior teams, which has significantly limited our scoring output. He is playing for 1-0, when we need to be playing for 2-1. Some fans/analysts are pointing to the number of shots we are creating, but the majority aren't quality goal-scoring opportunities. The team counterattacks far less effectively now than we did under Shakey, and when we build from the back, we lack a clear idea of how to break down a well-defended box. 

The reality is, we had a nice output in four matches vs. teams in a relegation fight, plus a 3 goal burst against the worst Arsenal team in ages. In the other 25 matches, we are averaging 1.12 goals per match, and that is entirely representative of the team we have seen the last two months. 

We have better talent that, but it is worthless unless Puel plays them.

• Like 2

Lets suppose youre someone who does want him sacked.

What do you want from your new manager, and who is going to deliver that in a way that it will make us better than 8th in the Premier League and two cup quarter finals.

Realistically.

People talk about the style of play. So if a more patient style of play isnt your cup of tea and you want someone who plays direct football, WHO is out there right now who plays an attractive brand of direct football, that would come to us and be better than 8th with patient football?

Direct football is always tarred with the same brush. Think direct, who comes to mind? guys like Sam Allardyce. Sean Dyche plays a direct brand of football. Outside of that, looking at other leagues, at times Van Bronckhorst plays a pretty direct style. Ive seen Heynckes play some direct stuff with one twos and through balls but he aint coming to Leicester. Juve can play pretty direct at times too, but obviously we wont get Max Allegri.

So if style of play is an issue, i dont really see who is going to come here, play direct and somehow make us better.

I dont really know what the opposition to Puel is to be honest. What benefit would sacking him be before hes had at least a summer and a few months next season AT LEAST? Its obvious that the squad needs changes whoever the manager will be. Puel is already here and has had a good look at the squad. Hes got a clear idea of the football he wants to play and no doubt has targets in mind to implement it.

Obviously, if its going terribly a decision will have to be made, but it isnt.......were in a good league position and weve already started to make changes to our style

Edited by Donut

22 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Pawson is one of the worst leagues in the ref. People bang about Moss on here but Pawson is as bad, if not worse. Everytime he refs us he favours the opposition.

He was actually born Craig Arbuthnot but changed his surname to the first words in response when he asked his referee assessors how he had performed in his most recent game.

1 hour ago, vanity said:

In seven of our last eight matches, we have been held to one goal, with a number of games at KP against inferior talent. Yes, we were scoring earlier in the season, but now we aren't, and it is most directly due to Puel's philosophy of starting heavily defensive line-ups against inferior teams, which has significantly limited our scoring output. He is playing for 1-0, when we need to be playing for 2-1. Some fans/analysts are pointing to the number of shots we are creating, but the majority aren't quality goal-scoring opportunities. The team counterattacks far less effectively now than we did under Shakey, and when we build from the back, we lack a clear idea of how to break down a well-defended box. 

The reality is, we had a nice output in four matches vs. teams in a relegation fight, plus a 3 goal burst against the worst Arsenal team in ages. In the other 25 matches, we are averaging 1.12 goals per match, and that is entirely representative of the team we have seen the last two months. 

We have better talent that, but it is worthless unless Puel plays them.

Since new year we've still scored more than most and only one less than Man U. People need a bit of perspective and to compare against other teams to see that what we're doing is still above average.

You mention CS... Christ give me the current games than the West Brom, Bournemouth, and Huddersfield games where we were utter shit, struggled to break them down and were lucky to not concede way more than we did.

• Like 1

WTF is wrong with people. Soton are getting stick for sacking Puel we would get much more stick.

He's doing Alright. We are in a decent position in the league and playing well.

I think, like any manager, it will take a while for Puel to put his stamp on the team. He's only really signed Diabete, so to be honest I have no idea how good he will be long term 

11 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I really think the possession stat is the most irrelevant stat going, as we proved when we won the league, I would like us to be a little less conservative especially at home, and a little more incisive with our passing, speed it up a bit basically, 

The problem Puel has is that people see our boring dull approach as a direct reflection of his personality. 

I personally agree with possession. It was more of an add on to prove we do look dominant in games. I don’t think he has a dull personality, read the Times article by Northcroft, he comes across as interesting and astute.

3 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

I personally agree with possession. It was more of an add on to prove we do look dominant in games. I don’t think he has a dull personality, read the Times article by Northcroft, he comes across as interesting and astute.

Could someone link us to that article please, avoiding subscription if possible....?

I am on the fence with Puel. The optimist in me thinks it is a transitional phase before we kick on and dominate next season. I would like to see more speed from back to front and more aggression all over. Let's not lose all of the blood and guts identity of Leicester City in the process of transformation.

Although even more important than Puel's coaching ability will be our transfer dealings. We need to buy starters. No more squad players. We need top quality. Especially if we need to replace Mahrez.

Interesting times ahead. In context of out club's history these are the golden years for which we need to be grateful. We should all remember to enjoy the next seasons before we do the classic Leicester Yo-Yo! :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vanity said:

There is worse, if you also remove the matches where Leicester scored one goal or more, the average is 0.00 goals per match.
PUEL OUT.