Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Christian Fuchs on the lookout for next generation of Leicester stars

The Leicester City left-back is recruiting for his Fox Soccer Academy

By

James SharpeSports Writer

19:01, 20 APR 2018

UPDATED19:26, 20 APR 2018

Christian Fuchs is on the lookout for the next generation of Leicester stars.

The City left-back wants to recruit up to 25 budding footballers to his Fox Soccer Academy to help them fulfil their dreams of becoming a professional.

Fuchs opened up the Leicester branch of his academy two years ago, to go alongside others in New York and Austria, but that was aimed at children from 8-16.

Now, the Premier League winner and former Austria international captain is opening a scholarship programme in Leicester for footballers aged between 16 and 19.

"When I was a teenager I was assured by many academies in Austria that I don’t have the potential of becoming a professional footballer," said Fuchs. "I took this as my motivation to show them that they were wrong and worked harder than anybody else to achieve my dream.

Christian Fuchs is hoping to inspire the next generation of Leicester footballers (Image: Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

"With Fox Soccer Academy I want to achieve exactly that: giving children the best possible training and know-how to strive for their dreams even if they have been rejected before.

"In that time it was very important to me to spend as much time as possible with my team and the players on the pitch. I find it a special motivation to personally mentor them as much as I can."

Fuchs is offering those successful stars a two-year football and education scholarship programme, based on a Premier League syllabus put together by Fuchs and other top-flight coaches, which includes training four times a week, competitive games, a monthly academy showcase against professional clubs.

There is also the chance to play European matches and jet off on international tours, as well as personal mentoring by Fuchs himself.

As well as the football, the scholars will also study for a BTEC level 3 in sport, as well as the potential for additional A-Levels, an FA coaching badge and a refereeing qualification, and help getting into universities in the UK or scholarships in the USA.

Any boy aged 16-19 in the next academic year can apply, but must have gained five GCSEs, including maths and English. Players must also pass a trial.

Applicants should email their name, date of birth, address, position and outline of their playing career to [email protected] or visit www.foxsoccer.academy.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Academy of attrition then, if you can't make it doing what you're training for, at least you can do something else. That's motivation for you.

Blimey there's a whole load of negativity amongst LCFC fans at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

The whole GCSE negativity seems a bit daft in my opinion. As davieG pointed out its a prerequisite for the BTEC course which is out of Fuchs hands. 

Yes, it may exclude a few from this generation who have already taken their GCSEs, but moving forward it should act as motivation for any aspiring young footballer to at least strive towards ascertaining a basic level of education knowing that if they don't make it within club academies (which they most likely won't as academies these day's will take anyone who can lace their boots up in under 5 minutes, giving false hope to lots of young people who will clearly never make the grade just to avoid said club potentially losing out on a late developer) they may get a second bite of the Cherry.

If youngster's aren't committed or lack the self discipline to follow a pathway that is a compulsory requirement in this country for all, then you have to question their desire to actually fulfil their dreams. It's not as if the college the academy is working with have requested 5x 'A' grades. How anyone can criticise a scheme setup to better people and help them potentially have a better future whether that be in football or not is somewhat surprising. 

I'm no longer surprised.

4 hours ago, sylofox said:

So he's just binned off the next Vardy Mahrez or Kante because the kid has no GCSE's.

Not sure how a GCSE in math's or English helps you score or save a penalty.

Fuch is thinking long term. The new Vardy will be able to calculate the net profit on his skittle vodka energy drink and spell caveat emptor.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Academy of attrition then, if you can't make it doing what you're training for, at least you can do something else. That's motivation for you.

Dear God. What has Puel done to the fan base? It's now knives out for the left back who helped us win the league because he's trying to find us new players while also increasing the education levels of our youth?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Dear God. What has Puel done to the fan base? 

Dear God.

Yes your right now explain what Puel has to do with this thread.

While you're at it can you explain why we have forums and what use they are.

As I see it this forum has no fvcking use what so ever. If you don't agree your wrong or get labeled a dumb plastic.

Sorry for expressing my concern that the poor dumb fvck at the back of the class is not being given a chance. Sorry for being bothered we may miss the next Vardy Mahrez or Kante because he's fvcking dumb

30 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I think you're a cracking poster Sylo and particularly appreciate your ITK posts however I think you've missed the point here mate.

The stark reality is that if someone is good enough then they probably will make it eventually (regardless of their level of intelligence) however if they don't, isn't it better they have something valuable that can help them move in to a good career in that scenario?

IMHO Fuchsy is doing a good thing by saying even if you've not been signed by the time you leave school then here's another chance but make let's make sure you've got an insurance policy. By offering a good quality, Level 3 qualification he has to abide by government requirements and insist on those 5 GCSEs as any provider has to. 

The flipside to this is the current academy set up whereby kids are expected to focus solely on football at the expense of their education and then when 99.2% of them are released they're left with broken dreams and often with no decent qualifications to help them make the next step.

Would it not be worse if CF allowed anyone in and then binned them off with literally nothing to show for it when they don't make it a further 2 years later? 

Aside from all this I think the bigger point is that this is just one route for a certain type of kid. There are other routes for kids who don't get their GCSEs. Fuchs' academy shouldn't be criticised for not providing a solution for every type of kid.

Spot on.  In fact I know of someone that pulled out of the Leicester Academy  at 16 as they wouldn't let him continue with A levels. The chances of making it are very slim indeed and the kids can be left high and dry, it really doesn't have to be that way and is selfish by the clubs imo. You have to also realistically question the usefulness of some of the level 3 btec courses for future employment. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, davieG said:

Blimey there's a whole load of negativity amongst LCFC fans at the moment.

How's that line go? Semper Eadem - always the same? :dry:

• 7 months later...

Fuchs to carry on at Leicester despite lack of games
Fuchs is yet to feature in the Premier League for Leicester this season.

Press Association
Last updated: 12 December 2018 - 1.46pm
 Fuchs to carry on at Leicester despite lack of games
Christian Fuchs has vowed to fight for his Leicester place despite not playing a single minute in the Premier League this season.

With Ben Chilwell now the Foxes’ number one left back, Fuchs has been restricted to just three appearances, in the Carabao Cup, having been the preferred choice since joining on a free from Schalke in 2015.

Title-winner Fuchs announced last season he intends to leave the Foxes when his contract expires at the end of the current campaign but is not yet considering a January exit.

He told Press Association Sport: “Not as of right now. I’m trying to give my best for the club, that’s always been the case.

“I’m always very straightforward and I’m aware of my situation. I believe whenever I’ve played I’ve tried my best and performed well.

“The gaffer knows he can rely on me, if there’s a need. I’m not doing things half-heartedly, I’m just trying to give me best.”

Chilwell’s form has earned him five England caps this term after breaking into Gareth Southgate’s squad and Fuchs believes the 21-year-old has what it takes to reach the top.

He said: “Ben is at the very beginning. A lot of things are happening very fast for him, being in the national team, and it’s about keeping the level of performance.

“I’m convinced of his talent, I’ve seen him over the last three years, and it’s down to him what he makes of it.

“He knows what he has to do. He knows the game, but sometimes you see things better when you’re watching from the outside.”

Former Austria international Fuchs was speaking at his Fox Soccer Academy at Aylestone Park FC in Leicester as the project continues to develop.

This season sees the first group of 16-19-year-old scholarship players at the academy.

They are second in the AoC Sport East Midlands Men’s Championship Invitation A, aiming for promotion to the Category One level, and have played showcase games against Notts County, Mansfield and Kidderminster

The academy, which also has bases in New York and Austria, was initially opened for eight-to-16-year-olds.

But the scholarship, which also offers players the chance to study for a BTEC level 3 in sport, an FA coaching badge and a refereeing qualification, is taking off.

Scouts from professional clubs are paying attention and, despite the success of the first year, Fuchs does not want to stop yet.

“I see the talent and how they work,” said the 32-year-old. “It’s a surprise because they had little experience but they’ve set the standard, so I expect them to keep performing like that.

“There are scouts coming down, if you win against good teams word travels fast.

“When we started it five years ago in the US the thought was that it could be a pathway. Along the way we’ve changed out goals a little but the main focus of finding talent is still our priority.

“It’s one of the goals to get them into an academy, or a fourth-tier club – which is still very good – and develop them.

“When I was young I wish something like this existed, to give them training, education, a full-time coach who is dedicated to you.

“By next summer we’re trying to expand in the UK – there’s so much more talent out there.”

• Like 3

On 21/04/2018 at 08:25, sylofox said:

So he's just binned off the next Vardy Mahrez or Kante because the kid has no GCSE's.

Not sure how a GCSE in math's or English helps you score or save a penalty.

Can't say that I'm aware of many of that age that has passed less than 5 GCSE's, not  really an all excluding demand...but it will be selective against "recently" immigrated kids who will not have had enough UK education ans is a group where probably most of the raw talent exists.