Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Cricket 2018

1. Burns - About time he's given a chance.

2. Pope - Didn't get enough of a chance for me.

3. Vince/Malan - Best of a bad bunch for me. Vince has had a good County season.

4. Root (c) - He's that determined to play 4 so may as well let him.

5. Bairstow - Bring him down the order but not enough to make the new ball a problem

6. Stokes - Batting all rounder.

7. Buttler (wk) - Best wicket keeper we have. 

8. Curran - Bowling all rounder.

9. Ali - Able to bowl a lot but still come in at 9 and slap it about.

10. Rashid - We need two spinners (at least) for Sri Lanka.

11. Anderson - Can't drop him.

Tempted to play something like that in Sri Lanka.

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

3. Vince/Malan - Best of a bad bunch for me. Vince has had a good County season.

5. Bairstow - Bring him down the order but not enough to make the new ball a problem

I wonder if Anderson may sit out the upcoming away series to Sri Lanka, or the ECB may choose to rest him. He has done a fairly obscene amount of bowling this summer. 

21 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I think i'm being trolled now

1 hour ago, Walkers said:

Dunno lol Bairstow is the most moveable of those lot and has turned into a pretty handy ODI opener, not that that guarantees he'd pull it off in tests. I see you post in here a lot so i'm probably not talking about you but I see far too many people still seeming to think that Moeen is a bowler who can bat a bit. His batting is underrated. And yes his 200 was "Only in the CC" but where else are you supposed to prove yourself? Not to mention it was against a fairly decent Yorks attack of Bresnan/Brooks to name two off the top of my head, not some Glamorgan reserves.

It's a massive problem we have. We've got more all-rounders and batsman than we can shake a stick at and no openers or number 3.

(This is looking ahead to Ashes with one or no spinner playing)

1/2/3 - Jennings (shite) Burns (unproven) Bell (old) Livingstone (unproven) Gubbins (been shite) Hameed (now can't even get in relegated Lancs team) Malan (shite) Stoneman (shite)  - none of them solid picks. 

4 is Root.

5 is Bairstow

6/7/8/9 - Buttler (cert to play) Stokes (cert to play) then two from Pope, Curran, Moeen, Woakes, Leach or Rashid. (I can see the idea of Moeen at 3 as it gets two of these in for SL but that's not going to happen next summer which means potential number three has one test match v Ireland to prepare for Ashes)

That's not even talking about Brooks or Stone etc. 

10/11 - Anderson and Broad

How do you make a balanced team for Australia next summer here I genuinely have no idea.

We'll bundle through the winter with all sorts, the middle bunch all could be batting 4/5 different positions over the course of it.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

I don't think that is a million miles off - would be very harsh on Pope though, done all his county batting at 6, then England at 4 and then asked to open lol

If he is in I think he might be in at 5 with Buttler going up.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I wonder if Anderson may sit out the upcoming away series to Sri Lanka, or the ECB may choose to rest him. He has done a fairly obscene amount of bowling this summer. 

He wrote a column today saying he can't wait and fully expects him and Broad to go, some press reporting Broad will be rested. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all as it makes selecting two spinners easier. We won't need four seamers.

Edited by MattP

1 hour ago, Walkers said:

I think i'm being trolled now

Ali averages 40 odd when high up in the order at this level.

He'll also be required to bowl a lot of overs.

These two test tours are ideal in order to blood some genuine batsmen for the Ashes. It'd be a waste to play Mo at 3.

Burns obviously has to have his chance but I'm starting to wonder if we should give it a radical shake up for the winter and just get the best bats out there in positions they'll need to learn.

Burns

Bairstow

Buttler

Root

Pope

Stokes

Curran

Ali

Leach

Broad

Anderson

Then Woakes (or Stone, Brooks etc) in for either Ali or Leach for Australia, depending on who has nailed down the spin place over the winter.

Edited by MattP

13 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Ali averages 40 odd when high up in the order at this level.

He'll also be required to bowl a lot of overs.

These two test tours are ideal in order to blood some genuine batsmen for the Ashes. It'd be a waste to play Mo at 3.

You have somebody you called a bowling all rounder coming in before a batting all rounder. Main spin bowler or not that is what he is.

12 hours ago, Walkers said:

You have somebody you called a bowling all rounder coming in before a batting all rounder. Main spin bowler or not that is what he is.

He's going to be putting in no end of overs down in Sri Lanka. He'll be picked because he's one of the few half reasonable spin bowlers we have.

I'd have him far lower down the order if we were playing at home or in the southern hemisphere.

• Haha 1

It's a great underdog story and a great two fingers up at your Notts/Lancs etc. who persist at pinching top players that non-test ground counties spend a long time nurturing. It's been a few years in the making with our improved shorter format form, having won the T20 north group stage this year and topping the Royal London group the last two. We've froze at any T20 quarter final/RL semi final we've played in the last 6 or so years so getting to finals day in the first place was a major morale booster. I remember we were 33/1 along with Leics to win the T20 before a ball had been bowled, and written off on Friday as though we hadn't even made finals day judging by some one eyed preview on BBC sport. We've proven the doubters wrong all summer though. There have been stages in the last week where I thought our luck had ran out with a few injuries knocking around our better players, two of our overseas (Callum Ferguson and Martin Guptill) being unavailable for today leaving us with just one who was probably our worst player today ironically, losing the toss both times. We stuttered today in both games in the high middle order but came through it. Cox is a good story, been around about 10 years already and is only 26. The whole squad is a good story, a lot of time invested in and giving our young players a chance in the first team. The squad today featured 7 academy players and that discounts Moeen who we took from Warks as a kid. Pat Brown was incredible today, for a kid thats just turned 20 to be able to bowl with the control and variations he did.

bit late to the party as I've been on holiday but what a way for Cook to bow out of his test career. Any cricket-loving fan would and should appreciate how well he's done there and how momentous that final innings was. Very happy for him that he could bow out like that. Epitomised how classy a player and professional he is and has been over the years. 

As some have said a few pages ago, perhaps 4-1 flatters England a little (?) but it's still a deserved win overall. Key moments in sessions in certain test played a big part. 

Oh man I'm still recovering from Finals Day. If you've never done one before I'd fully recommend. Great to see Worcestershire win it at their biggest rival's home, and all four counties represented well in the stands despite the allocation issues.

Still, sure it's got nothing on what The Hundred's final will be like. :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Oh man I'm still recovering from Finals Day. If you've never done one before I'd fully recommend. Great to see Worcestershire win it at their biggest rival's home, and all four counties represented well in the stands despite the allocation issues.

Still, sure it's got nothing on what The Hundred's final will be like. :rolleyes:

Good to hear, the crowd sounded fantastic on TV.

Ben Cox must be on the radar of England soon as well, hard to think he wouldn't already be if he weren't at a more fashionable county.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Good to hear, the crowd sounded fantastic on TV.

Ben Cox must be on the radar of England soon as well, hard to think he wouldn't already be if he weren't at a more fashionable county.

Yeah, was really impressed with him. Pat Brown as well, some absolutely insane figures for two T20 games.

Funniest part of the day had to be Jennings doing a ridiculous celebratory flourish of the bat when he reached his 50 in a losing cause. Well done chap, well done.

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Yeah, was really impressed with him. Pat Brown as well, some absolutely insane figures for two T20 games.

Funniest part of the day had to be Jennings doing a ridiculous celebratory flourish of the bat when he reached his 50 in a losing cause. Well done chap, well done.

lol I missed that in the early match.

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

Still don't see the hype about Jofra Archer either, he's quick yes but he's all over the shop.

Thought Sussex pace bowlers did well against Somerset but Cox and Ali made them all look pretty ordinary in the final. Briggs, Parkinson, Khan and Ali all bowled superbly but bowler of the day was easily Pat Brown. He's like a really brilliant and intelligent version of Jade Dernbach minus tattoos and ego. lol 

22 hours ago, MattP said:

Still don't see the hype about Jofra Archer either, he's quick yes but he's all over the shop.

He wouldn’t get into the test side for me right now but I’d consider him for the white ball stuff.

All in all though he’s young, tall and can chuck it ****ing quick. Something we lack. Could be something to look at for the next Ashes tour.