Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Cricket 2018

Just now, MattP said:

What makes you think he'll have a good tour? He's never had a good tour away from home on turning pitches.

You can't be serious about Moeen at 3 either?

Because,I believe it's grabbing the moment....Don't get me wrong,there's a lot of doubt, so I am putting a big but!! Forward.

We just might fill that n03 dillemma. I don't see Moen as an easy wicket. 20+  - 40+. is in from him,which means not great but

gets us into 70+ before collapses,instead of..33- for 3 or even 4.

He and Root together could protect our middle order,a little longer.

Burns I suppose comes in..

Jennings...I would take him,if he plays then we haven't found a decent replacement.Maybe that cover for n03.

Rashid,plays the tours 1st test...it's only a guess,but he is the man in place,and I expect he will do well in Sri-Lanka.

Besides Moen...We should try and take another 2 uninjured in form spinners.

Vince,last chance Saloon.

We have enough for the middle-order,no new names...Moen can again drop down.

But we should take another opener,if squad allows it 2.

I would like at least 1 new name pace bowler.

I am fed up in throwing in a new guy for no3,so this whole winter,it should be 1st covered by Moen,as a new idea but experienced head.

Then Jennings (get out spot)..or Vince as cover....

We are not a country who have 2players for every position.

14 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

yes!!!   Shredded through Anderson!!!I

What a great Series, totally totally enjoyed every game...I

Pundits ,pitch analyse...100%. Wrong.

Well done India...finding a pace attack. Kohli,proving he can play around the world.

Plus I see them staying no1  for awhile,deservingly.

A v good series and unusually England won all the key sessions of play but the series result doesn't really reflect the teams' respective abilities. But well done to all concerned.

with Cook gone and Jimmy probably getting close this side looks pretty thin and I have rarely felt less confident in an England side undertaking overseas tours . Hope I'm wrong 

3 hours ago, surrifox said:

A v good series and unusually England won all the key sessions of play but the series result doesn't really reflect the teams' respective abilities. But well done to all concerned.

with Cook gone and Jimmy probably getting close this side looks pretty thin and I have rarely felt less confident in an England side undertaking overseas tours . Hope I'm wrong 

'respective abilities'...What does that mean...today/in the last 2 years.  20/20, modern one day cricket, more than ever is changing,effecting even

affecting the way the Tests games are playing out. The old traditional Tests are out of the window. A new dawn is upon us,and even experts and

Pundits,who follow old ways are not up to it. The most Honest is Corkie who admits we have to take a new look at things.Willis tries to take a modern

approach,but tradition keeps him straggling.....

I come from the old traditions, I am 65, but Cricket is changing,old day says of bowling,but more relevant batting has now a totally different starting block,

and platform.  We really have to see how re asses,and project what we expect from our top 5, then our wicket keeper.

Our tail,like our top 4 ,can collapse easy,or score some solid run...one of the best if not the best,last (4) or 5 tail end batsman.

But those traditional top 5, will now be a learning process for all nations...OZ,still have Smith,and India have Kohli,we have Root..

All best at } 4  {

Cook gone,Warner modern day opener. So where is cricket now with Top 3....everybody can name names,but it/they don't change,the

New needed selection attitudes. This forum and cricket debate,shows the mixed up thoughts...

So I say let's try and be more flexable.

For England....Try and keep to Openers,might mean again,picking 4 for these 2 tours...or be strong in consistency.

1-2...Burns...a.n.other.or keep to Jennings. Plus take one more.

3...try to make Moen a nr3..he plays through the SL- tour.

3.or Drop Jennings into that slot.Give him a go .

4. Must be Root.

5.Pope...batsman only

6.Stokes/Butler/Woakes

7.Bairstow/ Butler

8. Curran/Broad

9.Rashid

10. Spinner..(make your choice)

11. Broad/Anderson.......one might have to be sacrificed for this tour,but not one stays at home.

Quite honestly...we have reached a selection cross roads,and any selection will have its strengths and weaknesses.

Vince,Opener,Spinner...also to go.

It could well be,we might not see this tour..   Moen,Stokes,Bairstow,Butler,Curran/Broad,Anderson on the same team sheet.

No fan or pundit,can call it,then be judgemental...We have a great core,but at times indifferent group of players.

There are 3 major positions that have to be sorted for the tour...Plus 4 newish names.

For SL/WI

Burns

Bell

Root

Bairstow

Stokes

Buttler

Curran

Ali

Leach

Broad

Anderson

For Australia

Burns

Bell

Root

Bairstow

Stokes

Buttler

Curran

Woakes

Leach

Broad

Anderson

Burns is now the best opener in Britain, Bell is still the best no 3 in England so comes in to either open or play three with someone else moving up, if he fails go to Gubbins, no idea who plays three as Joe Root refuses too, probably have to move up Bairstow or Buttler.

Edited by MattP

25 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

'respective abilities'...What does that mean...today/in the last 2 years.  20/20, modern one day cricket, more than ever is changing,effecting even

affecting the way the Tests games are playing out. The old traditional Tests are out of the window. A new dawn is upon us,and even experts and

Pundits,who follow old ways are not up to it. The most Honest is Corkie who admits we have to take a new look at things.Willis tries to take a modern

approach,but tradition keeps him straggling.....

I come from the old traditions, I am 65, but Cricket is changing,old day says of bowling,but more relevant batting has now a totally different starting block,

and platform.  We really have to see how re asses,and project what we expect from our top 5, then our wicket keeper.

Our tail,like our top 4 ,can collapse easy,or score some solid run...one of the best if not the best,last (4) or 5 tail end batsman.

But those traditional top 5, will now be a learning process for all nations...OZ,still have Smith,and India have Kohli,we have Root..

All best at } 4  {

Cook gone,Warner modern day opener. So where is cricket now with Top 3....everybody can name names,but it/they don't change,the

New needed selection attitudes. This forum and cricket debate,shows the mixed up thoughts...

So I say let's try and be more flexable.

For England....Try and keep to Openers,might mean again,picking 4 for these 2 tours...or be strong in consistency.

1-2...Burns...a.n.other.or keep to Jennings. Plus take one more.

3...try to make Moen a nr3..he plays through the SL- tour.

3.or Drop Jennings into that slot.Give him a go .

4. Must be Root.

5.Pope...batsman only

6.Stokes/Butler/Woakes

7.Bairstow/ Butler

8. Curran/Broad

9.Rashid

10. Spinner..(make your choice)

11. Broad/Anderson.......one might have to be sacrificed for this tour,but not one stays at home.

Quite honestly...we have reached a selection cross roads,and any selection will have its strengths and weaknesses.

Vince,Opener,Spinner...also to go.

It could well be,we might not see this tour..   Moen,Stokes,Bairstow,Butler,Curran/Broad,Anderson on the same team sheet.

No fan or pundit,can call it,then be judgemental...We have a great core,but at times indifferent group of players.

There are 3 major positions that have to be sorted for the tour...Plus 4 newish names.

what it was intended to convey was that despite England winning the series  4-1 that was an unrealistic reflection of the two sides ability. Neither captain was particularly outstanding but arguably, despite all his brilliance as a batsman, Kohli made some very poor calls over the series not least with selection and that  helped England tremendously.

With their top order batsmen, traditional strength in spin, newly discovered pace and swing bowlers and explosive hitting w/k India are a real force - deservedly No. 1 . I was cautioning against the assumption that England are truly 4-1 better 

25 minutes ago, MattP said:

For SL/WI

Burns

Bell

Root

Bairstow

Stokes

Buttler

Curran

Ali

Leach

Broad

Anderson

For Australia

Burns

Bell

Root

Bairstow

Stokes

Buttler

Curran

Woakes

Leach

Broad

Anderson

Burns is now the best opener in Britain, Bell is still the best no 3 in England so comes in to either open or play three with someone else moving up, if he fails go to Gubbins, no idea who plays three as Joe Root refuses too, probably have to move up Bairstow or Buttler.

come on Matt- Bell the best no.3 ? Don't press me on who should bat there but it's pretty safe to say that since Bell wasn't spectacular in Ashes cricket when he  was a bit of a force in the game he's unlikely to detain the Aussies for long now and I bet they'd love to see him walking in first wicket down

8 minutes ago, surrifox said:

come on Matt- Bell the best no.3 ? Don't press me on who should bat there but it's pretty safe to say that since Bell wasn't spectacular in Ashes cricket when he  was a bit of a force in the game he's unlikely to detain the Aussies for long now and I bet they'd love to see him walking in first wicket down

He's averaging 55 this season last time I checked.

Ask the Australians if they would rather see Bell or Jennings at number two, or Bell or Ali at number three and you won't get the reply of Ian Bell to either question.

If there is no one better, why not?

Edited by MattP

11 minutes ago, surrifox said:

what it was intended to convey was that despite England winning the series  4-1 that was an unrealistic reflection of the two sides ability. Neither captain was particularly outstanding but arguably, despite all his brilliance as a batsman, Kohli made some very poor calls over the series not least with selection and that  helped England tremendously.

With their top order batsmen, traditional strength in spin, newly discovered pace and swing bowlers and explosive hitting w/k India are a real force - deservedly No. 1 . I was cautioning against the assumption that England are truly 4-1 better 

Good summary...Can't and won't argue...Feel the same....

Good banter!!

26 minutes ago, MattP said:

Ask the Australians if they would rather see Bell or Jennings at number two, or Bell or Ali at number three and you won't get the reply of Ian Bell to either question.

If there is no one better, why not?

I saw a stat that 3 of his 4 hundreds were against Glamorgan who I think are currently bottom.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I was a Bell fan,to Bellend capacity...but He wouldn't fit into my selection.

plus you seem to insist on filling that no3 with Root.   That's where I disagree,your 2 selections are has good as any,but without Bell.

Plus wicketkeeper,in today's cricket Bairstow at 4 ,noway. 

I still can see Moen at 3.....his club position.So Bell  isn't alone His star is again on the rise,I say use the moment..the form.!

Moen like Stokes gives us Bowler-batter choice,where the overheady all rounder positions have better logic...

Our minor differences,on major points,just shows the Selection difficulties,when nobody else,besides Burns,is knocking on the door.

Leach could eventually now get that long-awaited chance.  Also if Bell did get the nod I wouldnt consider it a poor move...

But I won't begrudge Rashid the first dip,on this Tour,and he will have to standout with good bowling avgs,before he gets the nod for

the Ashes

So again....differences ,decisions. Good banter...I

One other thing..Moen and Butler have positively rekindled their Test careers,We have seen a new young bowler in Curran,

and when fit Woakes,is a worthy selection.Plus we have settled on a nr1 Wktkeeper...

So This series have up some questions,but also threw up a lot of positives...and in the end a redeveloping side beat no1 India...

No whens,if not buts..the books don't lie on the major pts. India found out also great steps forward..

I’ve thought Bell should have been in the team for the last couple of years. Test cricket is the pinnacle, pick your best players. For me he is undoubtedly still one of them and it’d be good to bring someone with his experience in after losing a lot of that experience in Cook.

7 hours ago, Walkers said:

Ali under Curran? lol !

Curran is a genuine all-rounder, it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up higher in the order than he is now.

He averages more than Moeen and the one series he has played in was bowlwe friendly. 

6 hours ago, MattP said:

Curran is a genuine all-rounder, it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up higher in the order than he is now.

He averages more than Moeen and the one series he has played in was bowlwe friendly. 

Well he bloody shouldn't. The bloke scored 200+ batting at 3 the other week, where he always bats. Coming in to bat under a bowling all rounder?

19 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Well he bloody shouldn't. The bloke scored 200+ batting at 3 the other week, where he always bats. Coming in to bat under a bowling all rounder?

In the county championship.

He averages 21 at three at international level, even less at two. He can't play the short new ball well enough against good fast bowling.

His average at seven and eight is around 40 - that's exactly where he should be.

We might get away with him against Sri Lanka but you can't seriously be contemplating Ali at three against an Australia attack of Cummins, Starc etc with a Duke ball over here?

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Did anyone enter the cricket world cup ticket ballot? I've got tickets West Indies v New Zealand at Old Trafford, could be a good one.

Went for Windies v Australia at Trent Bridge and didn't get them. Quite surprised by that. Will see what's left on general sale when that starts.

Just now, MattP said:

In the county championship.

He averages 21 at three at international level, even less at two. He can't play the short new ball well enough against good fast bowling.

His average at seven and eight is around 40 - that's exactly where he should be.

We might get away with him against Sri Lanka but you can't seriously be contemplating Ali at three against an Australia attack of Cummins, Starc etc with a Duke ball over here?

I'm not putting forward a case of him batting at 3. You put him coming in below Curran in your batting line up. Your 3rd line ironically is exactly why he should be batting higher than seven/eight.

4 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I'm not putting forward a case of him batting at 3. You put him coming in below Curran in your batting line up. Your 3rd line ironically is exactly why he should be batting higher than seven/eight.

So were are you making a case for Ali to bat? He's either in at 7/8 with one of Buttler or Bairstow moving to three or the three himself?

Root isn't moving from four and you've got Stokes and Buttler or Bairstow at 5 and 6 after. 

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

So were are you making a case for Ali to bat? He's either in at 7/8 with one of Buttler or Bairstow moving to three or the three himself?

Root isn't moving from four and you've got Stokes and Buttler or Bairstow at 5 and 6 after. 

Dunno lol Bairstow is the most moveable of those lot and has turned into a pretty handy ODI opener, not that that guarantees he'd pull it off in tests. I see you post in here a lot so i'm probably not talking about you but I see far too many people still seeming to think that Moeen is a bowler who can bat a bit. His batting is underrated. And yes his 200 was "Only in the CC" but where else are you supposed to prove yourself? Not to mention it was against a fairly decent Yorks attack of Bresnan/Brooks to name two off the top of my head, not some Glamorgan reserves.