Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Cricket 2018

54 minutes ago, MattP said:

Hong Kong inching closer to what would surely be the biggest shock in cricket history in the Asia Cup against India. 

Shat a brick.

19 hours ago, Walkers said:

Ben Cox is good but not of international standard especially with our current stack of wk/batsmen

That's our problem..we have young cricketers,batsman and bowlers,that reach a high quality level,that they can be proud of..

and here's the but...Unlike our chums Australian,Indian ,Pakistan,S.Africa, they have always a small pool that take that next step

over that quality threshhold...always 2-4 player crop up,and have short of long careers,but with good Int. Striking,or economy rates.

Our loyalty has been successfull,change to the old days,and many have developed that potential...Stokes,Butler,Ali.Bairstow.

Not forgetting our own Gooch,started miserably,and got chucked out 2-3 times,then learned to change his technic he defo

Had problems,but after 3-4 yrs became a great Int.batter.(tho', Gower incident,lost him friends in this neck of the woods)

It really is guess work and patience...especially now,selected players have no chance to play ,real warm up games,or 

in an England summer season,no pop-up county games to fall back to,during test season.

Bairstow,next to Butler our best attacking batsman,has a technical problem that I am sure he will sort out...but it would

of been better,if he and others between individual 5 test series, had the chance to get 1-2 county games in over the series.

and visiting Test teams,play again, against 2-3 counties,on their tour....

So a risk situation, is automatic...Cox,might make the grade...Like Vince, now!!! He looks like he can build an innings.

But...not as an opener.At present n03 is an another problem,but from 4-7,we have enough quality cover.

At present Pope,IMO should be encouraged,and not dumped.He is a n04 of 5..not 3.

Ali should have the gauntlet thrown down to him,to make that N03 spot his own,and not be given n01 spinner spot,but a 

Plus,if he occasionally bowls,when spinners are not necessary. He the management,gives priority to BATTING N03.

Bowling is gravy...

So we need 2 openers..Burns comes in,and against all logic Jennings gets the nod for the winter tour,

plus a cover,if he or Burns fails miserably.

Bairstow. as wkt-keeper should come in at 6 or even 7.I

Butler and Stoke in the flexible position,behind Root.Collapses then Stokes 1st in.

One aggressive move,and like Australia,who always try alternatives,just to see if they can sneak an advantage,in flexability.

Butler occasionally as an opener,but not always.Getting him accustomed to an aggressive but careful thoughtfull opener,will

Help him down the order,if he cant hold his part up,consistently. He is still the future,even if is middle-order.

Maybe we have to start again to walk,before we take a big leap into running....

Pundits stop being over ambitious with Hundreds,they are still in a modern series a rarity.

Openers consentrate,on 30+ ditto for no3.  No4 and 5,  50-60s are the first ambitions,even 40s.

Because 3-4 down before we have 40 -80 on the board,ain't going to get us chasing and keeping top 1-3 spots.

I want to see The Stokes/Bairstows/Butlers and Popes,play their natural game,without that negative devil on the shoulder.

I always see 170 for 3 as a base for a winning target, 80-4,your struggling,even with a on form middle order...

To be fair,before we go in over drive against,our and India's top 3-4. Both bowling attacks were not just avg.but superb,with

2-3  jaffas,every  over...and consistently.Even the regular ball passing the bat,and not getting the nick,was high intensity for

the 1st 4 Batsman,even with decent technic and concentration.

Though no great season..I would go for haseeb Hameed, to open for 1st tour game(warm up) then if ok.ish, first Test.

With Burns.

If one doesn't fancy Moen at 3 ,then try Jennings at no3.

Hameed can't get in the Lancashire team, is possibly about to be released as they have given up with him and you want him to open for England??!

From cricinfo.

He has averaged just 19.52 in first-class cricket in the subsequent couple of seasons without a single century. The 2018 season has been especially gruesome: he has averaged just 9.70 in the Championship and is currently unable to get into the Lancashire side.

Could you imagine the reaction if we called up an opener who averages less than 10 over a season?

Edited by MattP

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

Hameed can't get in the Lancashire team, is possibly about to be released as they have given up with him and you want him to open for England??!

From cricinfo.

He has averaged just 19.52 in first-class cricket in the subsequent couple of seasons without a single century. The 2018 season has been especially gruesome: he has averaged just 9.70 in the Championship and is currently unable to get into the Lancashire side.

Could you imagine the reaction if we called up an opener who averages less than 10 over a season?

I didn't know that,after the season begin which pundits said he started well.....

Then going on your post,I have to defer........I

Shame he's fell down the ladder......

Just now, fuchsntf said:

I didn't know that,after the season begin which pundits said he started well.....

Then going on your post,I have to defer........I

Shame he's fell down the ladder......

It is. I've not seen much of him but I'm told he can't play the short ball and he's been worked out because of that.

He's been got out bowled or LBW something like 70% of the time as well, which probably shows how scared he is to get forward.

On 18/09/2018 at 12:49, AKCJ said:

He wouldn’t get into the test side for me right now but I’d consider him for the white ball stuff.

All in all though he’s young, tall and can chuck it ****ing quick. Something we lack. Could be something to look at for the next Ashes tour.

Don’t think he’s eligible to play for England until after 2020 or something like that, but he has said he wants to wait to make himself available to England when he can. 

2 hours ago, Manini said:

Don’t think he’s eligible to play for England until after 2020 or something like that, but he has said he wants to wait to make himself available to England when he can. 

It's 2022 I believe, unless the ECB change residency regulations before then.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I paid £30 for England Pakistan in Leeds & £20 for England India at Trent Bridge this year, I'm not touching the Ashes at those prices. The World Cup games are similarly priced, which I'm also swerving.

Problem is..there are enough that will pay and fill to 80%+ of the time...

I would love ,to see an high % of empty seats at the Ashes.....Greedy bastards ,oh!! they will make excuses......to save face,but nobody is

Listening.....Mind you Boris johnson..could fill a few seats,and his guffaws,could give a show of atmosphere...:D

Good of Sky to show an absolute dead rubber as their live Championship game this week with all other div 1 matches having something riding on them I think i'm correct in saying. Not much of a journey to the Oval I suppose.

Amusing to see it could be over within 2 days already aswell.

Edited by Walkers