Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Cricket 2018

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

Not taking anything away from Foakes but he is coming in when you want to 23.3 overs on day one the pitch is still good the ball has lost its shine and the pace men are starting to tire. It’s when we want Root coming in to turn the screw at 3 or 4 not 6&7 coming in. We know we have good lower order batsmen. 

Our inability to find anyone to bat in the top 3 makes me think we should just give it up. We’ve already stuck Ali up there let’s go the whole hog Stokes and Woakes opening then Ali, Bairstow, Buttler, Pope, Foakes, Curran, Rashid, Anderson and Root waits until the right time to come in.

Semi seriously is there any thoughts in giving Hales another go? He may get out cheaply but he can also destroy an attack. Which is better than every other opener who just gets out cheaply.

Most of our top order have got themselves out to spinners though, so the early doors pace thing (especially in Sri Lanka) isn't really all that relevant here. Ability to play spin was always going to be a massive factor in this series and everyone should have been adequately prepared for that.

I think Hales was slightly hard done by in terms of being snubbed after actually working hard on his batting in four-day cricket. Not sure he'll get the same slack Rashid did for signing a white ball-only contract now though. Guessing he's given up on any Test aspirations by signing that.

35 minutes ago, Walkers said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46078324

This was interesting, a lot harder than I thought. Got 32, forgot Bairstow lol and others like Finn, Bopara, Bresnan, Wood. Not ashamed I forgot Amjad Khan though bloody hell lol

Did this yesterday and much harder than I thought too lol

Can't believe I forgot Root. Had a total mind-blank after a while!

9 hours ago, Captain... said:

Not taking anything away from Foakes but he is coming in when you want to 23.3 overs on day one the pitch is still good the ball has lost its shine and the pace men are starting to tire. 

The pitch is fine, there was only 15 overs of seam today and 76 overs of spin, the only reason for Lakmal playing is probably because of the weakness of Jennings and Ali against pace at the top of the order.

Last match against South Africa here Sri Lanka bowled four overs of pace in the whole two innings.

This series will be pure trial by spin. Two of the wickets today were embarrassing - Jennings got bowled leg stump trying to cut and Stokes bowled trying to lap sweep.

We give 'em what for when they muck it up...

England these 2 days have moved from poor to excellent....Excellent selection..from the start.

The players turned it around,a bit of on field thinking during the inninings,excellent spin bowling from England...

The best since,and maybe during Swanns career.So credit where credits due!!!

Sri-lanka not the easiest of places for any visiting side..In my memory a well thought out squad...We are not stuffy or stubborn,in

thought process.   

England sport looking up!!!

Foakes 100,another plus point...though again it's another middle-order find!!! They grow on trees in England.

half

I hope Burns and Jennings,slowly grow into a stable opening pair...I ain't looking for 100s (not yet anyway) but solid

50+s  will do.Pull ourselves away from 40/50-3 scores. 

140/160-3, should be something we should be targetting,meaning any one of openers must start to be looking  for regular 60+s

The no3...I hope Moen can play himself into this spot...

5 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Not quite Graeme Hick on 98, but I'd be a bit miffed by the timing of that declaration if I was Jennings.

Shouldn't be too bothered, 146* does wonders for an average as well. 

The selectors have caused themselves a right headache now for the Ashes, Foakes has the gloves, Buttler and Bairstow will play and you've got to squeeze Stokes and Ali in as well somewhere between 3 and 8.

I think the top three might have to be Burns, Bairstow and Jennings.

He'll just be happy to get some runs!

Guy on the BBC did say Jennings was one of the better players of spin hence him being included (and the fact there weren't too many other options..) 

If Bairstow came in who would be dropped?

Guess its a nice problem to have in that middle order.

Sri Lanka aren't the Sri Lanka of old. Trying to replace Sangakkara and Jaywardene is like trying to replace Mahrez and Vardy.

Make no mistake though, this has been an impressive first test from England. The job isn't finished but, weather permitting, wins on the sub continent are rare.

Really pleased for Jennings.

6 hours ago, MattP said:

Shouldn't be too bothered, 146* does wonders for an average as well. 

The selectors have caused themselves a right headache now for the Ashes, Foakes has the gloves, Buttler and Bairstow will play and you've got to squeeze Stokes and Ali in as well somewhere between 3 and 8.

I think the top three might have to be Burns, Bairstow and Jennings.

As much as he doesn't want to be, Bairstow is the best equipped batsmen we have for the top 3.

To fully succeed though, he probably has to accept he won't be the gloveman.