Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Best music streaming service ??

Just bought myself a wireless speaker (Naim Mu-So QB) and looking for recommendations for a streaming service.

Spotify ?? Deezer ?? Amazon ?? Google Play ?? Tidal ?? Any others ??

£9.99 per month seems to be the going rate but £19.99 for lossless (Deezer, Tidal) but don't want to pay that much.

Anyone got any experience of using these services ??

Cheers.

41 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I use Spotify which makes me feel a bit of a scumbag but it's pound for pound the best out there I think. I'm also a dickhead to myself as I pay for Tidal just to have Jay-Zs albums 

Why does Spotify make you a scumbag ?? I'm new to this previously being a vinyl and CD dinosaur. HiFi separates now in the loft :mellow:

Tidal is expensive but offers the best sound (so they reckon).

Think that I'll sign up to a Spotify trial and see how I go.

Spotify for me.

But looking at the ethical side of things, it appears Apple pays the artists (or  whoever owns the right to royalties) the most. Almost double what Spotify pays, according to this article https://mixmag.net/read/new-data-reveals-which-streaming-platform-pays-artists-the-most-in-royalties-news

Though I wonder how accurate that is as A) Apple doesn't have a great reputation when it comes to negotiating with its suppliers and partners B) if the dollar amounts are correct they might have different payout thresholds. I.e. Apple pays more per 1000 plays, but only pays out after every 1m plays vs Spotify at 100k plays. 

Lossless formats are really pointless unless you've got yourself a banging set of speakers, expensive headphones or you're a proper audiophile. 9/10 people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, I guarantee it.

I've used both Spotify and Apple and have settled on Apple music, it's arguably not as easy to navigate in-app but I prefer it. I think I'm right in saying it boasts more songs on the whole (because of the previous iTunes library) and artists are more inclined to exclusivity deals because it doesn't have a free tier. 

What does let it down is the discovery algorithms... They're alright once you've told it what you like (or love) extensively from your current library, but it doesn't half spit out some crap sometimes.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Lossless formats are really pointless unless you've got yourself a banging set of speakers, expensive headphones or you're a proper audiophile. 9/10 people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, I guarantee it.

I've used both Spotify and Apple and have settled on Apple music, it's arguably not as easy to navigate in-app but I prefer it. I think I'm right in saying it boasts more songs on the whole (because of the previous iTunes library) and artists are more inclined to exclusivity deals because it doesn't have a free tier. 

What does let it down is the discovery algorithms... They're alright once you've told it what you like (or love) extensively from your current library, but it doesn't half spit out some crap sometimes.

I really do want lossless files given that I've just spent £600 on a Naim speaker. Currently using EAC to rip my CD collection (Flac format).

I'll still probably buy the odd CD here and there if it's something I want to keep and rip it (lossless) to a NAS. The rest will be from a music streaming service which will most likely be Spotify.

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

I really do want lossless files given that I've just spent £600 on a Naim speaker. Currently using EAC to rip my CD collection (Flac format).

I'll still probably buy the odd CD here and there if it's something I want to keep and rip it (lossless) to a NAS. The rest will be from a music streaming service which will most likely be Spotify.

Tidal Lossless is well worth it especially if you're listening on a proper system. You'll notice the difference in quality between it and Spotify for example. 

On 30/08/2018 at 20:35, Spudulike said:

I did that last year.  I'm glad I did, but must admit that I've used Spotify much, much than I expected to - I really just signed up to let the kids listen to the pop nonsense I wasn't going to buy for them (and now of course really enjoy).

Sound quality through my set up is very good although there's no denying that FLACS sound better. If I really like something I'll still buy it on CD if it's available.

Spotify for me comes into its own on car journeys (assuming your car audio has Bluetooth streaming). I can put a big playlist on shuffle play and that's me sorted even for a long trip, or let the kids DJ (usually a strange mix of The Greatest Showman soundtrack, Ariana Grande and 'They were on hard drugs' by Julian Cope), and most popular podcasts are on there too