Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Happy 70th Birthday Frank Worthington

Yes remember sitting on the popular side wall watching Frank doing his tricks in front of the kop before the game even started.  Worth the 20 pence entry fee alone.

Best goal in my opinion chip from outside the box against Newcastle on Easter Saturday 1975. Shame every match wasn't recorded like today.

Let's hope he has a great day.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Remember Kember said:

Yes remember sitting on the popular side wall watching Frank doing his tricks in front of the kop before the game even started.  Worth the 20 pence entry fee alone.

Best goal in my opinion chip from outside the box against Newcastle on Easter Saturday 1975. Shame every match wasn't recorded like today.

A left foot that messi would love to have .......... seriously ........

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Remember Kember said:

Jesus. I didn't know Frankie played in 1884 lol Was it really 20 pence, what year are you talking about?

Edited by Max Wall

He would be in my all-time City team, playing up front with Lineker (who had pace); Weller and Mahrez supplying from the wings; Sammels and Kante just behind.

Favourite goal (again no recording) was a run from the half-way line (Filbert St) against Everton - beat about 7 players (this included going round the goalkeeper twice 'cos he wanted a left foot tap-in)

And you try telling the kids today.........

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ultrafox said:

Hello........Hello.........Frankie Wortho....Frankie Wortho............

I remember reading his (auto)biography..."One Hump or Two"  a while back.

Great read! 

Against Newcastle the Frankie Wortho chant was preceded by a 'Supermac is a twat, hallelujah' rendition

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stoopid said:

For those of my generation, quite simply the greatest player we ever had. 

He wore his genius lightly and with  incredible style. The most naturally gifted footballer I've ever seen, and that includes George Best, Which is saying something. 

Criminally underused by England. 

A one-off, an artist and a pure joy in the precious Jimmy Bloomfield  era.  Happy Birthday Frankie, and thanks for the great memories.

That's a mighty fine pair of Rose Tinted Spectacles you wear!

6 hours ago, TonyN11 said:

He would be in my all-time City team, playing up front with Lineker (who had pace); Weller and Mahrez supplying from the wings; Sammels and Kante just behind.

Favourite goal (again no recording) was a run from the half-way line (Filbert St) against Everton - beat about 7 players (this included going round the goalkeeper twice 'cos he wanted a left foot tap-in)

And you try telling the kids today.........

During the war...... 

I have named our legends,mostly from our title-team!!!

But 4 others are also burning legend status from the not so deep corners of my mind...

K.Weller,D.Gibson,G.Cross, and Birthday boy...Frank Elvis Worthington!!!

All knew how to hold the ball,how to own the ball,how to keep the ball has a friend,and how to find a teammate,without looking!!

Wortho the best footballing C.F. That Leicester ever had,and England never dared to have,but should bow their head in shame,

that he was never given the chance to have earned 40-60 caps.

Unlike his reputation ,he did put in the hard yards,to hone his skills, and encouraged to use his tricks and flicks in games.

he and Shilton did stay behind for some long session and used each other,to Watch and show,and share with each other

the angles and thoughts from their own individual positions!! Plus the Birch and Wortho went around together to help local clubs.

It's crazy people,like me get old...not Wortho,I keep him in my grand memories he will always be our silky classy n09 legend!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Remember Frankie Wortho queuing up outside the nightclub Grannies while we were waiting for our parents to pick us up from Aunties !!!

Long, long time ago. French kisses and a quick grope if you were lucky … the joys of being a teenager.

I thought Wortho was a magnificent player, although I never fancied French Kissing him, or giving him a quick grope....

11 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Can't let that go..,

I'm not one to think everything was better in the past. No mate, not at all. But Frankie was special. You could almost hear the ball give a sigh of relief when it came to him. 

Mahrez was great, but took a lot of credit for basically one trick - the change of direction - which he did beautifully admittedly, but he didn't have Wortho's mastery of the ball.

Can't think of too many who did.

Suspect it was your assertion he was better than Besty that drew the comment ...