Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Happy 70th Birthday Frank Worthington

On 23/11/2018 at 13:01, Stoopid said:

For those of my generation, quite simply the greatest player we ever had. 

He wore his genius lightly and with  incredible style. The most naturally gifted footballer I've ever seen, and that includes George Best, Which is saying something. 

Criminally underused by England. 

A one-off, an artist and a pure joy in the precious Jimmy Bloomfield  era.  Happy Birthday Frankie, and thanks for the great memories.

The likes of Carlton Palmer, Geoff Thomas and Darius Vassell all played for England more times than Frankie Wortho did.

Bonkers.

• Like 3

I sadly never saw Frankie Wortho play as he was just before my time :(

But I do remember once on our way down to Wembley for one of the play off/league cup finals in the 90's we stopped off at a services on the M1. I went for a slash and Frank was stood at the urinal with dozens of Leicester fans in there singing his name. He looked round to smile at us all and duly pissed all over his cowboy boots :D 

Would love to have seen him play in the flesh.

Edited by Izzy Muzzett
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, cropstonfox said:

Worth our 20p just to see him in the warm up!

True, he used to do a long stint of keepy-uppy, plus flicking the ball on to the back of his neck, his back etc - great entertainer. None of this shuttle run rubbish, just pure skill exhibition. 

• Like 1

Frank was ahead of his time. Sublime skill and was exceptional with both feet. He is probably one of a handful of players from the 70's who would grace any pitch in todays football.

What also made him great was the swagger and cocky confidence that made him a true football legend. I saw him play on a number of occasions and never once did his dissapoint. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

The likes of Carlton Palmer, Geoff Thomas and Darius Vassell all played for England more times than Frankie Wortho did.

Bonkers.

Frank was unlucky in England terms. Seem to remember that Joe Mercer gave him most of his caps, but unfortunately he was only a caretaker. When Don Revie took over, Frankie didn't fit his robotic (ie Leeds) blueprint.

• Like 1

My childhood hero by a county mile. But meeting him and spending time with him one afternoon, was soured by his families views, who have a very strange way in how they think he should be treated. 

We as as fans have missed out on Frank at our club since he left, but I don’t think that has anything to do with Frank himself.

They say never meet your heroes. I disagree completely, some I have met have become great friends. But the Frank Worthington meeting was very strange, and I couldn’t help but think he has been held back due to some strange views from his family, that I  understand would  gets people’s backs up.

Nice guy Frank, very nice, just strange going’s on around him. 

22 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I sadly never saw Frankie Wortho play as he was just before my time :(

But I do remember once on our way down to Wembley for one of the play off/league cup finals in the 90's we stopped off at a services on the M1. I went for a slash and Frank was stood at the urinal with dozens of Leicester fans in there singing his name. He looked round to smile at us all and duly pissed all over his cowboy boots :D 

Would love to have seen him play in the flesh.

I had a similar situation with Ade Akinbiyi but he missed. 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I know this is from the year after he left us but just so some of the young guys can see the talent we used to watch and understand why we don't cream ourselves over players like Mahrez, here's the type of thing you could EXPECT from Frank:

45 minutes ago, FIF said:

I know this is from the year after he left us but just so some of the young guys can see the talent we used to watch and understand why we don't cream ourselves over players like Mahrez, here's the type of thing you could EXPECT from Frank:

Terry Buthcer I think it was said as he was walking past Frank for Ipswich to restart after that goal, Frank pointed up to the stand and said to Butcher you would have had a better view of that sitting up there

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/11/2018 at 20:02, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Remember Frankie Wortho queuing up outside the nightclub Grannies while we were waiting for our parents to pick us up from Aunties !!!

Long, long time ago. French kisses and a quick grope if you were lucky … the joys of being a teenager.

Am I reading this wrong or did Leicester have two clubs in the 70s called Grannies and Aunties? lol

I wish I got to see him play. Every Leicester old boy I've spoken to has gushed about him.

On 25 November 2018 at 09:37, Stoopid said:

Frank was unlucky in England terms. Seem to remember that Joe Mercer gave him most of his caps, but unfortunately he was only a caretaker. When Don Revie took over, Frankie didn't fit his robotic (ie Leeds) blueprint.

So true and the same applied to Keith Weller,both players ridiculously talented.

Happy birthday Frank.

48 minutes ago, Danizen said:

Am I reading this wrong or did Leicester have two clubs in the 70s called Grannies and Aunties? lol

I wish I got to see him play. Every Leicester old boy I've spoken to has gushed about him.

Yes there were. aunties was for under 18’s sold pop only 

• Like 1