Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Who do you want January 2019

1 hour ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Well reasoned reply but I think sometimes it can be better to judge what you see with your eyes rather than over analyse every available stat.

I've seen him play live several times in Germany, let alone when I've watched him on TV. It hasn't changed my opinion.

If we still needed a 10, with the football we now play he'd be a decent fit for a mid table prem club.

My issue is people make him out to be verging on an elite striker. I don't believe he is and I don't believe people would mention his name if he'd not played for us.

If people think he's amazing they are entitled to their opinion, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But if people go out of their way to tag me in, then I'll fight my corner.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I've seen him play live several times in Germany, let alone when I've watched him on TV. It hasn't changed my opinion.

If we still needed a 10, with the football we now play he'd be a decent fit for a mid table prem club.

My issue is people make him out to be verging on an elite striker. I don't believe he is and I don't believe people would mention his name if he'd not played for us.

If people think he's amazing they are entitled to their opinion, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But if people go out of their way to tag me in, then I'll fight my corner.

Fair enough. Although with hindsight IMO we let him go too early and too cheaply. 

59 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Fair enough. Although with hindsight IMO we let him go too early and too cheaply. 

What I'll also add, is just because I wasn't overly impressed two years ago when I first made the comments, it doesn't mean I'm forever held to that opinion. He's been quite consistent (across all competitions) end of last season and the start of this. If he carries on that way until the end of the season, then my major issue of consistency has been addressed. I wouldn't be surprised if a few bigger teams didn't go in for him then, as I'd imagine it's one of the things that's held them back. If he has another massive slump like he did last season, then it could keep putting people off.

I would have loved Ziyech in the summer, yes would've cost a bit, but some of the money used on Ghezzal could've been used towards him. Not proven anywhere other than the Dutch leave admittedly but clearly has a lot of talent (and some creativity) 

Just now, lcfceaves said:

I would have loved Ziyech in the summer, yes would've cost a bit, but some of the money used on Ghezzal could've been used towards him. Not proven anywhere other than the Dutch leave admittedly but clearly has a lot of talent (and some creativity) 

We either missed out on the Mahrez replacement, or simply didn't have the money. We did spend a fair bit bringing in better players in other areas, Ricardo and Maddison replacing two players we we're getting no money back on. No way Ghezzal was anyone's first pick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We either missed out on the Mahrez replacement, or simply didn't have the money. We did spend a fair bit bringing in better players in other areas, Ricardo and Maddison replacing two players we we're getting no money back on. No way Ghezzal was anyone's first pick.

I've thought about this a lot and it's hard to know if we really did go after anyone else. There were very loose links we went big for Anderson and Malcom but only when they'd agreed fees with other clubs, which to me suggests it's not likely to be the true story. Felt very much like the Sigurdsson story the year before. However, we spent £35 million on Soyuncu and Benkovic, £12.5 million on a reserve goalie and the same amount on Ghezzal. All of that is the Mahrez transfer fee. Ricardo and Maddison were the best part of £45m which is a fair amount to spend if you're considering a huge outlay on a stadium expansion and a new training ground. The money was there but we opted to strengthen more areas, which is fair enough but possibly a little unnecessary. I would argue we could have got Benkovic or Soyuncu and with the money saved there and Ghezzal's dough, you have enough for a fairly decent player. Or perhaps money wasn't the defining factor and we couldn't land or didn't have the replacement yet lined up, in which case it's worrying as we had a long long time to plan this Mahrez departure. Anyway, I still think Ghezzal will do a job.

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've thought about this a lot and it's hard to know if we really did go after anyone else. There were very loose links we went big for Anderson and Malcom but only when they'd agreed fees with other clubs, which to me suggests it's not likely to be the true story. Felt very much like the Sigurdsson story the year before. However, we spent £35 million on Soyuncu and Benkovic, £12.5 million on a reserve goalie and the same amount on Ghezzal. All of that is the Mahrez transfer fee. Ricardo and Maddison were the best part of £45m which is a fair amount to spend if you're considering a huge outlay on a stadium expansion and a new training ground. The money was there but we opted to strengthen more areas, which is fair enough but possibly a little unnecessary. I would argue we could have got Benkovic or Soyuncu and with the money saved there and Ghezzal's dough, you have enough for a fairly decent player. Or perhaps money wasn't the defining factor and we couldn't land or didn't have the replacement yet lined up, in which case it's worrying as we had a long long time to plan this Mahrez departure. Anyway, I still think Ghezzal will do a job.

The only reason we got both CB's was the Maguire situation. There was obviously a lot to it because even Benkovic said as soon as Maguire didn't leave, he knew he'd be going out on loan. We probably had to find money we didn't want to spend as a precaution for a last minute cock up... lets not forget the Drinkwater mess probably made is think twice about waiting until the last minute1The Ward fee was a lot, but with Keeper market went mental and we needed a decent backup.

Anyway, who knows. It's all guess work. I actually have faith in the club and manager knowing the players we need, they've proved that to me with our last lot of signings. Things don't always work out as you want them though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree with much of this. I doubt Ghezzal wasn’t anybody’s first choice either, however so far he’s not demonstrated he is a top ten premiership team player to say the least so for me I can’t see him being more than a squad player used as back up off the bench in times of injury. Whilst I don’t want to write him off and would love to be shocked to see him deliver consistently I can’t see it myself based on current performances. 

We we really do need some quality in this position if we are going to only have four attacking/creative spots in this 4231 and he simply isn’t the answer at the moment.

8 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Be a great signing.

Remember him tearing our back line apart a season or two ago. Certainly a decent player to have, but I think his best position is as a wing back, and he suffers from being neither a good enough defender for a full back, or effective enough to be an out and out winger. 

Good price, but think we have other areas to focus on in this window, in terms of a striker and CM. 

3 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

We was in for him before he went Barca, the only clubs interested are Lazio & Chinese sides. So if he’s got an ambition to play in the premier league then yes I do.

Edited by Nick
Double post

2 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

We was in for him before he went Barca, the only clubs interested are Lazio & Chinese sides. So if he’s got an ambition to play in the premier league then yes I do.

Fair enough.

What would we need to pay? After all, he’s been there 6 months and they paid £36.5 million - does this mean his value is now north or south of that?

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

Fair enough.

What would we need to pay? After all, he’s been there 6 months and they paid £36.5 million - does this mean his value is now north or south of that?

He’s hardly had any game time so there’s no way it will be north of it surely? Imo he’s closest & most realistic option, to a replacement for Mahrez which we’ve never done.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Fair enough.

It's barca there's no way they'll lose money on him, just look at the Mina to Everton transfer

6 minutes ago, huggybear said:

Does his face ever actually change from the standard confused/don't give a $hit?

Grays a good lad - he’ll get there in the end. He needs to keep working his nuts off though.

• Like 1