Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shailen_patel4

Vaping ban

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Leg it Llama ! ...   the vapes are after you  !! ...

237A4D2F-92E1-481D-B32E-4A69EBFFECE3.gif

I'm trying but I can feel my smoker's lung giving out already, if only there was a perfectly safe and harmless alternative I could use... 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

It got thrown out with the don't be a dick one.  See above.

Woah....you didn’t say that your friend was only a light smoker previously, or really explain your friends situation in any real detail. Your comparison was with the average smoker. I would guess that your friends 5 cigarettes per day is way below your average smoker. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shailen_patel4 said:

I don’t know how many users smoke on here, but as a smoker who’s smoked for 3 years (I’m 19) I know it’s not long but i want to kick the habit and use vapes instead before it’s too late. I understand why it’s a good idea to ban vapes as kids who have never smoked before use it which causes nicotine addiction but I wanna know your thoughts on it.

I'm a former heavy smoker who made the switch to vaping, and I can't recommend it highly enough for people who've unsuccessfully tried other ways to quit. It's 95% safer, tons cheaper (even though I smoked rolling tobacco and spent only about £20 a week. Now it will be more like £4, once I've found my favourite e liquids), tastes better (there's countless different flavours), doesn't stink, and has made me feel like a non-smoker again. I don't wake up coughing my guts out anymore. I've seen comments saying how bad the smell is, but even if someone is offended, the smell only hangs around for a minute. Tobacco smoke can make things smell for months, years or even indefinitely.

You may want to break free from nicotine addiction entirely rather than switching to taking it in a different form, but if you do take up vaping instead, you can easily reduce your level, as most e liquids come in different strengths, so you can gradually reduce the dose over time.

I notice you've titles the thread 'Vaping Ban', but I can't find much about this. I saw a thing about the USA considering it due to young people taking it up. Is that what you've seen? I don't think there's any real threat of it happening here any time soon. I believe vaping will save a lot of lives. I believe any negative coverage is probably propaganda by tobacco companies or companies selling ways to quit who are scared to death that the end is on the horizon. Why would vaping be banned before tobacco? I think that could only happen if the government want to admit they are corrupt.

In summary, I'd say that if you want to quit smoking, and you've tried and failed doing it cold turkey, or patches, etc., then definitely try vaping.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stix said:

Woah....you didn’t say that your friend was only a light smoker previously, or really explain your friends situation in any real detail. Your comparison was with the average smoker. I would guess that your friends 5 cigarettes per day is way below your average smoker. 

The working average is 10 a day from what google's just told me so perhaps my terminology was a bit off.  Not that my choice of words should have a bearing on yours.

18 hours ago, the fox said:

@shailen_patel4 try and reduce the amount of cigarettes you consume a day. Bit by bit, and if you can do that then over time, you will quite.

Find what makes you want to smoke. Some feel the need to light one when watching a match, a long walk, listening to music..etc and try to keep away from them if you could before trying Vape. 

Another advice is: smoke a brand you don't like. Believe me, you would hate it and smoke far less.

If non of that works, try other things other than Vape.

Good luck.

Were you a smoker? I'd say cutting down is bad advice. I've found it just makes the smoker crave cigarettes even more than they did before. They'll often become sneaky liars just to get their fix.

Avoiding triggers and smoking a brand you don't like might work.

I quit before by reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking, and another time by using Champix, I think it's called - pills on prescription.

I do agree that quitting nicotine altogether is best.

18 hours ago, the fox said:

I truly want to know how many stopped smoking after trying Vape. Vape is........... Ah, also smoking? It's just a less harmful kind of smoking.

No. Vaping is not smoking at all. It's 95% safer. Smoking is inhaling burning tar fumes. Vaping is breathing steam by comparison.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

You've been on the money in each of your comments on this thread.

Thanks dude.

I know I can come across as a bit 'pro vaping' but I swear it's made such a massive difference for me and many others. I smoked 20 a day for 25 years and tried everything to give up - patches, pills, gum, spray, cold turkey. Hypnosis & acupuncture were next on the list...

I got into vaping about 5 years ago and have never looked back. I haven't had a cigarette since and it never even crosses my mind now. I'm probably as 'anti smoking' as I am 'pro vaping' now. 

I think the lack of research and myths about vaping does cause confusion (see this thread) but all I can go by is how much better I feel and how much better other vapers/ex smokers now feel. Yes I'm addicted to nicotine but it's my only 'habit' and I don't drink much caffeine, don't do drugs and I'm tee total. 

I also appreciate that some people are 'anti vaping' for all the reasons explained on this thread. It does piss me off a bit as a vaper that some people do it blatantly in public for whatever reason and try to generate the biggest cloud they can just for the hell of it - they look like nobs for doing this imo.

If it was up to me I'd get the HNS to prescribe vape sticks to those who've tried everything else and are in desperate need of giving up the fags. It'll probably never happen but I reckon it would save thousands of lives a year.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I'm a former heavy smoker who made the switch to vaping, and I can't recommend it highly enough for people who've unsuccessfully tried other ways to quit. It's 95% safer, tons cheaper (even though I smoked rolling tobacco and spent only about £20 a week. Now it will be more like £4, once I've found my favourite e liquids), tastes better (there's countless different flavours), doesn't stink, and has made me feel like a non-smoker again. I don't wake up coughing my guts out anymore. I've seen comments saying how bad the smell is, but even if someone is offended, the smell only hangs around for a minute. Tobacco smoke can make things smell for months, years or even indefinitely.

You may want to break free from nicotine addiction entirely rather than switching to taking it in a different form, but if you do take up vaping instead, you can easily reduce your level, as most e liquids come in different strengths, so you can gradually reduce the dose over time.

I notice you've titles the thread 'Vaping Ban', but I can't find much about this. I saw a thing about the USA considering it due to young people taking it up. Is that what you've seen? I don't think there's any real threat of it happening here any time soon. I believe vaping will save a lot of lives. I believe any negative coverage is probably propaganda by tobacco companies or companies selling ways to quit who are scared to death that the end is on the horizon. Why would vaping be banned before tobacco? I think that could only happen if the government want to admit they are corrupt.

In summary, I'd say that if you want to quit smoking, and you've tried and failed doing it cold turkey, or patches, etc., then definitely try vaping.

I tried the gums at first and they worked but cost a lot over time

6 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Forget vapes ..  just give up smoking full stop.    Just show what willpower you have, do your health a big favour and save a few bob.  

Me and the mrs both smoked (30 yrs) but then decided to stop ...  smoked ourselves stupid one night then just packed up.   Yes you'll pine for one ..  but just fookin ignore it !! ..   after a while you'll be there.   10 yrs later your lungs should be as they were before you started ..  nice and pinky and good to go.

You can do it ..  you really can.    :thumbup:

Every week post on here and let us know ...  we're all behind you.

Cheers mate means a lot

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Forget vapes ..  just give up smoking full stop.    Just show what willpower you have, do your health a big favour and save a few bob.  

It’s easier said than done for some to just ‘give up’ nicotine. It’s highly addictive and our bodies crave it. 

Could you just show willpower and give up alcohol and do your health a big favour and save a few bob?

If willpower alone worked for everyone we wouldn’t need patches, gum or vape sticks.

Fair play if you’re the kind of person who can just ‘stop’ but they’re few and far between in my experience...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I read someplace that vaping is even worse than smoking cigarettes, eg. even more unhealthy - as addictive or even more addictive than regular cigarettes, not to mention all the toxic chemical substances that can also cause cancer:

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/a23402333/is-vaping-bad-for-you/

Dubious. PHE estimates 95% safer, and certainly the tar isn't there as a major toxin. We don't know much about the thermal degradation of flavourant molecules as applied in e-cigarettes (actually my current work and what my doctoral thesis will be on when I'm finished writing it in 2-3 years) or long term health risks (being new technology) but current research suggests it's the lesser of two evils against smoking

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

It’s easier said than done for some to just ‘give up’ nicotine. It’s highly addictive and our bodies crave it. 

Could you just show willpower and give up alcohol and do your health a big favour and save a few bob?

If willpower alone worked for everyone we wouldn’t need patches, gum or vape sticks.

Fair play if you’re the kind of person who can just ‘stop’ but they’re few and far between in my experience...

It’s much easier to do with vaping I’ve found. Just slowly reduce nicotine levels until you vape zero nicotine and then stop. 

Ive relapsed at times but just redo this process, I’m back vaping now because I had a few cigarettes over Christmas but I’ll be on zero nicotine by the middle of feb and should stop in March.

I really struggled giving up smoking but it’s so much easier now. Even if I couldn’t give up using vapes, I’d be much happier vaping than smoking.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It’s much easier to do with vaping I’ve found. Just slowly reduce nicotine levels until you vape zero nicotine and then stop. 

Ive relapsed at times but just redo this process, I’m back vaping now because I had a few cigarettes over Christmas but I’ll be on zero nicotine by the middle of feb and should stop in March.

I really struggled giving up smoking but it’s so much easier now. Even if I couldn’t give up using vapes, I’d be much happier vaping than smoking.

Yeah, I'm down to 0.9% nicotine now from 1.8% initially. The reality is that I probably vape more now to get the same hit if I'm honest.

Thing is though, I quite like vaping :D  I enjoy the menthol taste and the nicotine helps me relax. 

And because it's so cheap, unless my GP tells me to stop for health reasons or research suggests it's really bad for you, then I can't really see myself stopping.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Thanks dude.

I know I can come across as a bit 'pro vaping' but I swear it's made such a massive difference for me and many others. I smoked 20 a day for 25 years and tried everything to give up - patches, pills, gum, spray, cold turkey. Hypnosis & acupuncture were next on the list...

I got into vaping about 5 years ago and have never looked back. I haven't had a cigarette since and it never even crosses my mind now. I'm probably as 'anti smoking' as I am 'pro vaping' now. 

I think the lack of research and myths about vaping does cause confusion (see this thread) but all I can go by is how much better I feel and how much better other vapers/ex smokers now feel. Yes I'm addicted to nicotine but it's my only 'habit' and I don't drink much caffeine, don't do drugs and I'm tee total. 

I also appreciate that some people are 'anti vaping' for all the reasons explained on this thread. It does piss me off a bit as a vaper that some people do it blatantly in public for whatever reason and try to generate the biggest cloud they can just for the hell of it - they look like nobs for doing this imo.

If it was up to me I'd get the HNS to prescribe vape sticks to those who've tried everything else and are in desperate need of giving up the fags. It'll probably never happen but I reckon it would save thousands of lives a year.

That's alright.

I'm in the same boat - was a heavy smoker for many years, and had tried various ways to stop - some quite effective, some even made it worse (like cutting down). I even managed to quit completely for 2 years.

I tried an e cig a few years ago, and it didn't really satisfy me. Tried a different one a few months ago, and I really liked it. The main reason I wanted to swap over is because my dad was trying to quit tobacco and I couldn't refuse giving him a cigarette when he asked. I was worried vaping wouldn't be enough to satisfy a 20-a-day smoker, but it took one day to make the switch. I smoked all the tobacco and some cigars I had soon after I started vaping, and since then, I've not even wanted a real cigarette. I smoked one at the weekend that was offered to me. I thought it was pretty nasty, and couldn't believe I'd actually do that 20 times a day by choice. My mouth felt filthy. My cough's now gone and I can smell much better. Without looking at any research, just from my experience, I'm sure it's tonnes safer. I feel the same as I did when I was a non-smoker.

As far as I'm concerned, vaping is having your cake and eating it, too. It's the best of both worlds - all the pros of smoking and all the pros of giving up. No, it's even better than that, as it can taste however you want it to.

I think switching from tobacco to vaping might be the best decision I've made.

• Like 2

I can understand why places ban it because there isn’t much research around it’s impact but it doesn’t really bother me, some of them smell decent.

I used to smoke about 20 a day and the thing that made me quit was my asthma but if I had the option then I would have vaped and quit sooner no doubt.

• Like 1

Vaper here after smoking 20 25 daily. If you are going to quit dont be buying the big cloud beasts. Ul be on it 24.7. 3mg is realistically the best you shiuld have sub ohming over 20w. Buy a pen or a small podbox. 99p eliquids at bm poundworld and pound stretchers. I use them at mo purely cos i need the nic. Taste absolutely fine and 10ml lasts me 4 days. B4 that i used a cloud beast and was going through 50ml in three days it juat doesnt satisyfy.  

I smoke and a few months ago i did look into quitting and vapping. But then i read a thread on here explaining it all and i was mind blown with all this talk of tanks and coils and mixing your own stuff etc. 

I didnt realise it was so bloody complicated, so i just stuck to my roll ups... 

• Haha 1

For anyone trying to quit either fags or vape try nicquitin patches. Absolute god send and really effective. Usually about a tenna for 7 days worth. 

Start on the 21mg strength if a heavy smoker and work your way down until you don't need them. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I smoke and a few months ago i did look into quitting and vapping. But then i read a thread on here explaining it all and i was mind blown with all this talk of tanks and coils and mixing your own stuff etc. 

I agree - I was turned off by all the terminology and jargon I found when researching vaping. I can tell you it doesn't have to be complicated at all, though.

I've got a little Justfog Minifit (well, two - I liked it so much I had to get a spare. Now I've got twice the battery life and twice the e liquid capacity, and I can carry around 2 different flavours). It's a great design - the size of a USB stick, just one button you press while inhaling, 3 lights that tell you how much battery is left, and it plugs into any USB socket for charging with a little lead. You just have to pour e liquid into it and make sure the battery's charged. That's all there is to it. The "Blu" e cig is pretty good as well. That doesn't even have a button - it senses you're inhaling and turns on.

You can mix your own stuff. Apparently, that's the cheapest option, and you can come up with new flavours that way, but you don't have to do it.

I also smoked roll ups, and I used to roll 20 or 30 at a time to save me doing it when I needed a smoke. That took me about half an hour a day. Vaping has saved me that particular pain in the arse on top of everything else. Thanks - I'd forgotten all about that. I'd say vaping is a lot less complicated than fiddly roll ups.

I go to Vape HQ. Been to 3 branches (Syston, Birstall and Swadlincote). The staff in each have been very knowledgable and helpful, and they let you try e liquids before you buy. I'd strongly recommend them. I also use a site called Club Vape (clubvape.co.uk) which I think is very good.

I'd say give it a go if you're a smoker, even if you don't intend to give up tobacco. You could always do both.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

It really doesn't have to be Suze - trust me.

I do think there's a bit of a vaping sub-culture where vaping nerds use complicated language and create their own stuff. For some it's a proper hobby and they enjoy tinkering and trying out new combinations - fair play to them.

But for the average vaper (like me) it's pretty simple really. Once you bought the tank and battery, you just need to try out different flavour and strength juice until you find the one you like. Vape juice can be very cheap to buy and you certainly don't need to mix your own.

I used to play golf with a 40-a-day B&H smoker who wanted to quit and I constantly encouraged him to try vaping instead. Eventually he agreed and ordered some kit but gave up on it after a day and went back on the fags. I kept nagging him so he ordered a different set up but the same result - he binned it saying he couldn't get on with it.

So eventually I dragged him into our nearest vape shop and got him some expert advice. They spent an hour getting him sorted with the right set up for him and he left happy. 

That was 12 months go and he hasn't had a fag since. He's now a converted and happy vaper but it was a pain in the arse getting him there :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

I agree - I was turned off by all the terminology and jargon I found when researching vaping. I can tell you it doesn't have to be complicated at all, though.

I've got a little Justfog Minifit (well, two - I liked it so much I had to get a spare. Now I've got twice the battery life and twice the e liquid capacity, and I can carry around 2 different flavours). It's a great design - the size of a USB stick, just one button you press while inhaling, 3 lights that tell you how much battery is left, and it plugs into any USB socket for charging with a little lead. You just have to pour e liquid into it and make sure the battery's charged. That's all there is to it. The "Blu" e cig is pretty good as well. That doesn't even have a button - it senses you're inhaling and turns on.

You can mix your own stuff. Apparently, that's the cheapest option, and you can come up with new flavours that way, but you don't have to do it.

I also smoked roll ups, and I used to roll 20 or 30 at a time to save me doing it when I needed a smoke. That took me about half an hour a day. Vaping has saved me that particular pain in the arse on top of everything else. Thanks - I'd forgotten all about that. I'd say vaping is a lot less complicated than fiddly roll ups.

I go to Vape HQ. Been to 3 branches (Syston, Birstall and Swadlincote). The staff in each have been very knowledgable and helpful, and they let you try e liquids before you buy. I'd strongly recommend them. I also use a site called Club Vape (clubvape.co.uk) which I think is very good.

I'd say give it a go if you're a smoker, even if you don't intend to give up tobacco. You could always do both.

Are we the same person? lol

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I’ll give clubvape a look

@Izzyand @Raw DykesThank you for the information. I will pop into Syston as i think there is a shop there and check it out. I have a friend who is constantly nagging me to Vape and i always find an excuse, but the reality is it looked difficult lol. 

I will let you know how i get on and just so you know if i do go ahead and buy the stuff it will be you 2 i will be pestering if i need help! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Izzy said:

I haven’t had a cigarette for 5 years since I started vaping and never have the urge. In fact I hate the smell and taste of smoke.

Its the nicotine that’s the addictive bit and I get my ‘hit’ through vaping rather than tobacco.

Vaping isn’t smoking at all.

I haven’t had a fag for 2 years now,but as far as I’m concerned vaping was the best thing that ever happened regarding quitting.

i graze on it,and I can honestly say I will never have a fag again.Really doesn’t bother me,no urge at all,I don’t use a real “ Top of the pops” sort of vape and use 3mg nicotine,sometimes 0mg.Its the habit.

Dont miss the wheezing mornings either.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

@Izzyand @Raw DykesThank you for the information. I will pop into Syston as i think there is a shop there and check it out. I have a friend who is constantly nagging me to Vape and i always find an excuse, but the reality is it looked difficult lol. 

I will let you know how i get on and just so you know if i do go ahead and buy the stuff it will be you 2 i will be pestering if i need help!

That's okay.

Yeah, there is a Vape HQ in Syston. It's on the High St. near that mad little roundabout. The staff will help you out, I'm sure. I've only got good things to say about them. I'd recommend asking to try the Vampire Vape Heisenberg. I think it's great.

I've not been vaping very long, but I know I'm never going back to tobacco. I'm currently trying a lot of different flavours to find the best, so I'm spending a fair bit, but I know I'll be spending about £3 or £4 a week when I've settled on my favourites, and I've now got a big supply, so I could spend nothing for months.

Some of the flavours I've found are delicious. That Heisenberg I mentioned is meant to be a secret recipe, I think, but it's a combo of fruit, aniseed and menthol. I hate liquorice, and to a lesser extent, aniseed, but I could vape that all day. My other faves so far are a cinnamon & vanilla custard one (Vapemate), an almond & caramel waffle one (WFFL), and I've just got this Fifty50 Blue Slush one today, which tastes nothing like Blue Slush Puppies, but is actually a perfect real raspberry flavour. It's amazing.

• Like 1