Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shailen_patel4

Vaping ban

I don’t know how many users smoke on here, but as a smoker who’s smoked for 3 years (I’m 19) I know it’s not long but i want to kick the habit and use vapes instead before it’s too late. I understand why it’s a good idea to ban vapes as kids who have never smoked before use it which causes nicotine addiction but I wanna know your thoughts on it.

I read someplace that vaping is even worse than smoking cigarettes, eg. even more unhealthy - as addictive or even more addictive than regular cigarettes, not to mention all the toxic chemical substances that can also cause cancer:

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/a23402333/is-vaping-bad-for-you/

@shailen_patel4 try and reduce the amount of cigarettes you consume a day. Bit by bit, and if you can do that then over time, you will quite.

Find what makes you want to smoke. Some feel the need to light one when watching a match, a long walk, listening to music..etc and try to keep away from them if you could before trying Vape. 

Another advice is: smoke a brand you don't like. Believe me, you would hate it and smoke far less.

If non of that works, try other things other than Vape.

Good luck.

Edited by the fox

6 hours ago, the fox said:

I truly want to know how many stopped smoking after trying Vape. Vape is........... Ah, also smoking? It's just a less harmful kind of smoking.

So they say. For now.

Can't wait for 30 years time when they find out it's just as harmful.

8 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I read someplace that vaping is even worse than smoking cigarettes, eg. even more unhealthy - as addictive or even more addictive than regular cigarettes, not to mention all the toxic chemical substances that can also cause cancer:

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/a23402333/is-vaping-bad-for-you/

As a Vaper for the last 5 years, my understanding is that there are no/minimal toxin chemicals that can cause cancer.

I mix my own vape liquid and there’s only 3 ingredients:

1. Liquid nicotine. Yes it’s addictive but doesn’t contain the tar/toxins - that comes from the tobacco ( I believe)

2. Flavour - in my case menthol. Harmless as far as I’m aware

3. Glycerin - the main ingredient and used as cough medicine base. Available over the counter at Boots and harmless 

All I know is I feel 100 times better from giving up cigarettes and taking up vaping. I don’t cough/wheeze, have more energy, my clothes don’t stink and it costs peanuts in comparison 

I read that although nicotine is highly addictive, it’s actually no worse for you than caffeine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, the fox said:

I truly want to know how many stopped smoking after trying Vape. Vape is........... Ah, also smoking? It's just a less harmful kind of smoking.

I haven’t had a cigarette for 5 years since I started vaping and never have the urge. In fact I hate the smell and taste of smoke.

Its the nicotine that’s the addictive bit and I get my ‘hit’ through vaping rather than tobacco.

Vaping isn’t smoking at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I read that although nicotine is highly addictive, it’s actually no worse for you than caffeine.

I don't smoke, but was involved in some insurance products for certain tobacco and related products for a fair while. There is some disagreement over this; but generally its agreed the nicotine is not harmful.

What can be harmful of course is the remaining constituent ingredients, both in cigarettes and in vaping fluids.

Vaping products currently are very very loosely regulated, which is a concern, but are soon to become regulated and supervised like the pharma industry. It is possible currently for example to make up a batch of vaping liquids in your shed and legally sell them; the permissions/licenses etc are not hard to come by. This all changes soon.

Speaking from an insurance point of view, I think its a pro for insurers an a con for consumers that we don't have class action law suits over here - but there we are.

I smoked from around 1971 to 1987, probably 20 to 30 per day. After being asked not to smoke in the office due to one of the guys in there having a lung condition, I gave up cold turkey. It was amazingly easy once I convinced myself that I would never smoke again. The thinking was that just cutting down is simply prolonging the agony and doomed to failure.

Anyway, that worked for me until about 2009, when under a certain amount of personal pressure I ended up rolling my own. I did that for about 3 years before switching to electronic cigarettes containing nicotine. The switch was quite easy but I started to get a bit of a cough. Not sure if this was the electronic cigs or the roll ups and I just hadn’t noticed earlier.

Anyway, after a couple of years of that I gave up again and haven’t touched a real or electronic one since. Again, it was surprisingly easy.

In summary I believe the electronic cigs can help to kick smoking as a stepping stone, but I’m not entirely convinced that they are harmless. I still have the cough to this day, and have just seen a doctor about it. CT scan says I have nothing wrong though.

11 minutes ago, Itsthejoeker said:

“Vaping is helping me get over my addiction, a puff only contains 1/10th of the nicotine as a puff on a cigarette”

Continues to puff ten times as much as they would on a cigarette. 

Vaping doesn’t really help people get over thier addiction to nicotine, it just delivers the nicotine by a different method.

Im quite happy to be addicted to nicotine via vaping because I don’t get the same tar/toxins that I did from smoking.

Some vapers use high strength nicotine which means they don’t need as many ‘puffs’ to get thier hit and others like me vape a lower strength and therefore puff away all day to get the same hit.

Any tobacco substitute is a good thing in my eyes. People need to understand that tobacco is the enemy here, not nicotine or vaping.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Vaping doesn’t really help people get over thier addiction to nicotine, it just delivers the nicotine by a different method.

Im quite happy to be addicted to nicotine via vaping because I don’t get the same tar/toxins that I did from smoking.

Some vapers use high strength nicotine which means they don’t need as many ‘puffs’ to get thier hit and others like me vape a lower strength and therefore puff away all day to get the same hit.

Any tobacco substitute is a good thing in my eyes. People need to understand that tobacco is the enemy here, not nicotine or vaping.

I know, it was something a friend of mine said. Sucks on that thing like he’s back breastfeeding. 

Vape over tobacco 100%. Glad it’s helping you. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Vaping is disgusting.

The ****ing smell of 'Very cherry' or 'Watermelon blast' or whatever ****ing fruity flavour vape turns my stomach upside down.

Sooner have actual fag smoke breathed on me.

Makes me smile.

Millions of people in this country are addicted to caffeine but no one gives a sh1t. Most people get thier caffeine hit through drinking 10 cups of coffee a day. 

The smell of coffee turns my stomach but I don’t complain when every cvnt and his cousin walk past me with a cup of it every day.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Makes me smile.

Millions of people in this country are addicted to caffeine but no one gives a sh1t. Most people get thier caffeine hit through drinking 10 cups of coffee a day. 

The smell of coffee turns my stomach but I don’t complain when every cvnt and his cousin walk past me with a cup of it every day.

The difference is that if you are inhaling someone else’s vape odour it has probably been in and out of their lungs before it gets to you.

Yuk ! 

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Makes me smile.

I have no problem with vaping as a concept, just these fruity flavours that people smoke really make me squirm.

It's the fact they blow massive clouds of vape and it really does stink of the person's breath mixed with fruit.

I get that vapers like the taste but if they could hurry up and develop it to have no smell i'd be eternally grateful.

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

The difference is that if you are inhaling someone else’s vape odour it has probably been in and out of their lungs before it gets to you.

Yuk ! 

It’s just water vapour mate. No worse than people’s coffee breath 

Yuk!

Just now, Mike Oxlong said:

I don’t get that close to too many people to smell their coffee breath but I do try and dodge vape exhalation from people in the street who pollute my airspace 

Everything pollutes our airspace though. 

Would rather have a lung full of someone else’s vape than cigarette smoke or diesel fumes from the nearest bus.

Take your point though 

Just now, Izzy said:

Everything pollutes our airspace though. 

Would rather have a lung full of someone else’s vape than cigarette smoke or diesel fumes from the nearest bus.

Take your point though 

Yeh. Each to their own. 

You must pop round to sample my nespresso machine sometime ;) 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It’s just water vapour mate. No worse than people’s coffee breath 

Yuk!

You've got to be within kissing distance to smell coffee breath.

You only need be within 100 yards of a vaper to smell that.