Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

Brewing political Crisis in Thailand

10 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Jokes aside, thanks for giving us a feel for the situation.

We would be a bit lost without your input.:appl:

I'll try and keep you up to speed, especially if it might involve King Power or Leicester City.

But when I got up this morning, I checked the Bangkok Post, then had my girl check for updates on the Thai news channels, and it's as if nothing happened yesterday. Not a word anywhere!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

I'll try and keep you up to speed, especially if it might involve King Power or Leicester City.

But when I got up this morning, I checked the Bangkok Post, then had my girl check for updates on the Thai news channels, and it's as if nothing happened yesterday. Not a word anywhere!

That in its self would indicate the King and The Military are not going to allow this 

9 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Has yhe kibg said it is inappropriate? 

To be honest i woyld be shicjed if princess anne stood in election. 

Last month the queen spoke at at a wi meeting and told the lafies that we should find a compromise and get brexit done (as the royals fear the eu  undermines their leadership role). .. yet hard... soft  or wnd ref and stay are political positiobs... brenda seemed to be going for mays soft brexit

The King has issued a statement, live on all Thai TV channels, that she cannot stand. The statement said that although she had relinquished her Royal title, she was still part of the Royal family through tradition. 

Like the UK, the Royal family out here do not get involved in politics, although they do issue statements expressing concern or compassion from time to time, often in the King's yearly speech. Much like our own Queen's Christmas address, what she did at the WI, or when Charles talks about architecture or Harry talks about his charities or beliefs. It's all political in the scheme of things!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

That in its self would indicate the King and The Military are not going to allow this 

It certainly seems that way. There is just nothing about it on the news over here this morning, like it never happened! Maybe later there will be a statement from her, or the party. I'll let you know if that happens.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Has yhe kibg said it is inappropriate? 

To be honest i woyld be shicjed if princess anne stood in election. 

Last month the queen spoke at at a wi meeting and told the lafies that we should find a compromise and get brexit done (as the royals fear the eu  undermines their leadership role). .. yet hard... soft  or wnd ref and stay are political positiobs... brenda seemed to be going for mays soft brexit

WTF? lol lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

Have been out most of the day, but the latest if you've not heard is that the party have withdrawn her as a P/M candidate, 'out of respect for the King'.

The vibe I'm getting is that the party has pulled in huge support because of her involvement.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2019 at 12:48, ThaiFox said:

Have been out most of the day, but the latest if you've not heard is that the party have withdrawn her as a P/M candidate, 'out of respect for the King'.

The vibe I'm getting is that the party has pulled in huge support because of her involvement.

She’s pulled out then .....

On 14/02/2019 at 12:40, Sly said:

She’s pulled out then .....

Not only has she pulled out, but it looks like the political party she was standing for is going to be disqualified from the election because of her standing.

As I read it, this is not the best news for King Power because it was that party who granted them their duty free monopoly which runs out next year.

Just got back from Bangkok on Friday -  all appeared ok from the outside. A few trucks with loud speakers and pollies on the back driving around the streets spruiking their wears but nothing too odd. My biggest complaint was that most of the markets and street sellers had no LCFC gear as they said they get in trouble for selling it, all other clubs gear were there though... Did manage to get the kids some kit - was gunna get some for me but Thai XL is not really XL.....

The prices for the real kit at the King Power shop are more than from LCFC direct - picked up a few T's on sale....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MadKaw said:

Just got back from Bangkok on Friday -  all appeared ok from the outside. A few trucks with loud speakers and pollies on the back driving around the streets spruiking their wears but nothing too odd. My biggest complaint was that most of the markets and street sellers had no LCFC gear as they said they get in trouble for selling it, all other clubs gear were there though... Did manage to get the kids some kit - was gunna get some for me but Thai XL is not really XL.....

The prices for the real kit at the King Power shop are more than from LCFC direct - picked up a few T's on sale....

It's typical election time out here. No different to other elections I've experienced. Loads of posters around with the various political parties, and the usual array of pick up trucks with loud speakers spouting the usual political promises of ensuring all their promises will be forgotten. No difference to any other country really!

As for the LCFC kits, it's nothing to do with getting into trouble for selling our kit, it's to do with no demand! Every market I visit out here has a never ending supply of Man Ure, Arsenal, Barcelona, Madrid, Chelski, Liverpool shirts. I doubt the Thai copyright police would be that bothered anyway about LCFC shirts when markets are full of copy Buberry, Louis Vuitton, Armani, Rolex & Omega watches!!

And you are right about size! Thai sizes are much smaller than UK.

Back to the election, there is still no news if the Princess's political party will be disqualified. A decision is due in the next few days.

7 minutes ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

I’m in Bangkok airport right now and all I can say is the girl in the King Power ship gave me wrong directions. Bad times City!

The LCFC shop at Bangkok airport is not very inspiring! Tucked away around gate C the last time I was there, mixed with other sports gear.

12 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

It's typical election time out here. No different to other elections I've experienced. Loads of posters around with the various political parties, and the usual array of pick up trucks with loud speakers spouting the usual political promises of ensuring all their promises will be forgotten. No difference to any other country really!

As for the LCFC kits, it's nothing to do with getting into trouble for selling our kit, it's to do with no demand! Every market I visit out here has a never ending supply of Man Ure, Arsenal, Barcelona, Madrid, Chelski, Liverpool shirts. I doubt the Thai copyright police would be that bothered anyway about LCFC shirts when markets are full of copy Buberry, Louis Vuitton, Armani, Rolex & Omega watches!!

Back to the election, there is still no news if the Princess's political party will be disqualified. A decision is due in the next few days.

This. The people at my local market used to get the kits in just for me lol  The year we won the league one of the teams that I used to play 7 a side with turned up in a full Leicester kit... That was when it sunk in that we'd made it internationally.   When I arrived in Thailand in 2014 I got drunk and wondered around Bangkok asking locals about Leicester... nobody had a scooby doo who we were, I was expecting us to be a big deal because of the Thai owners. At least now we are known by most Thai football fans, but they still dont support us. 

Edited by Lambert09

10 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

This. The people at my local market used to get the kits in just for me lol  The year we won the league one of the teams that I used to play 7 a side with turned up in a full Leicester kit... That was when it sunk in that we'd made it internationally.   When I arrived in Thailand in 2014 I got drunk and wondered around Bangkok asking locals about Leicester... nobody had a scooby doo who we were, I was expecting us to be a big deal because of the Thai owners. At least now we are known by most Thai football fans, but they still dont support us. 

Yes, when I first arrived out here in 2002, you never saw anything Leicester City related. When Vichai purchased the club in 2010 I really thought we'd be everywhere. But nothing anywhere!

After we won the P/L there were pictures of the team around the airports, the King Power stores had giant cutouts of Vardy, Kante and Mahrez outside and the markets here did have the copy shirts, as they did the following season, but now I don't see them anywhere. I've asked over the seasons in the Puma shops and they look at you in amazement, the same this season in the Adidas store.

I do see the odd shirt around on Thai people, but it's very rare on foreigners out here. In fact I saw the black shirt on a girl last Saturday in a MK restaurant, (she looked great in it too!) but it is rare.

The Thai people love English football and are quite knowledgeable too, but they stick to the glamour clubs. I see more Chelski shirts out here than any other club, with Man Ure second, Arsenal third, Liverpool forth. Really thrilled to say I very rarely see any Spuds shirts on Thai people!

48 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Yes, when I first arrived out here in 2002, you never saw anything Leicester City related. When Vichai purchased the club in 2010 I really thought we'd be everywhere. But nothing anywhere!

After we won the P/L there were pictures of the team around the airports, the King Power stores had giant cutouts of Vardy, Kante and Mahrez outside and the markets here did have the copy shirts, as they did the following season, but now I don't see them anywhere. I've asked over the seasons in the Puma shops and they look at you in amazement, the same this season in the Adidas store.

I do see the odd shirt around on Thai people, but it's very rare on foreigners out here. In fact I saw the black shirt on a girl last Saturday in a MK restaurant, (she looked great in it too!) but it is rare.

The Thai people love English football and are quite knowledgeable too, but they stick to the glamour clubs. I see more Chelski shirts out here than any other club, with Man Ure second, Arsenal third, Liverpool forth. Really thrilled to say I very rarely see any Spuds shirts on Thai people!

That's because they haven't won anything.

If they won the CL - yes I know that will never happen - then lots of Thais would buy their shirts.

Most international football fans are just plastic. They have no tie (no pun intended) and little loyalty.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahaha that's weird as when I was last in Thailand in 2010/11 under Sven. There was a lot of excitement from the locals when they found out I was a Leicester fan, one taxi driver misunderstood me and thought i played for Leicester. He rang his missus and then followed me about all day, eventually he had to go and he asked what my name was so he could Google me, so I told him I was Lloyd Dyer.

Exactly the same with me! I spent a couple of months travelling with my mrs in Thailand in 2010 - every time I wore my LCFC shirt I always got questioned or pointed at by the locals, especially in Bangkok. I chatted to one Thai bloke who knew all about us since the Thais had taken over, it was a really surreal experience but just showed how big English football is over there.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2019 at 02:56, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

I’m in Bangkok airport right now and all I can say is the girl in the King Power ship gave me wrong directions. Bad times City!

Girl? Did you do a mic dundee check?

On 19/02/2019 at 03:03, ThaiFox said:

Ah hem stereotypes are true then?

Edited by Jattdogg

6 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

I read that people in developing countries “cannot afford to follow small clubs”.

They go through life struggling to make ends meet and avoid the depredations of over-powerful, corrupt authorities.  Like anyone else, they follow a club to be part of something bigger.  They are going to choose something that shows power over its rivals, and every chance of coming out on top.  There’s no pleasure in following an underdog which may steal some bones from the big dogs -- but eventually must roll over and submit -- when it’s already the story of your life.

This would explain why Spuds don’t have traction either.  If they can eventually establish themselves as financial equals in a true Big Six, that would change.