Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Anyone here do much camping?

6 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

i've wild camped in the Lake District a couple of times. Small scale stuff, just pitch a tent halfway up a mountain. I think it might not be strictly legal but as long as you're not disturbing the wildlife or leaving a load of litter then it is tolerated.

Did you accidentally flash a badger?

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Does anyone have any advice on what I should look for when buying a tent? Don't mind spending a bit more for something that will last and keep me warm and dry in most non-extreme UK conditions. 

What size are you looking for? Is weight an issue (ie, do you intend to backpack with it)?

20 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

A roomy two person - enough room for bags and stuff, and maybe somewhere to sit if the weather is poor. Lightweight would be a bonus, but isn't essential.

Ok. 

If weight isn’t an issue you want a tent with a double skin (inner and outer fly) to minimise condensation issues; ideally, look for one that can be pitched fly first to keep the inner dry when you’re pitching in the rain; take descriptions like ‘two person tent’ with a pinch of salt - check the specifications for actual size. 

Check out these people - they sell quality gear and give thorough reviews - but once you’ve found something you like, Google it because you’ll almost certainly find it cheaper elsewhere:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25

Edited by Buce
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Not strictly camping but heading to Carlisle, Isle of Skye and Isle of Harris on Saturday for a much needed break in my camper van.

What kind of van do you have, mate?

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

What kind of van do you have, mate?

I’ve got a T6 transporter converted to a camper by a company in Leicester called Jacks Shack and they have done a class job.

Always fun with us pair and a pair of husky’s in there lol. Will have the awning up as well though.

Edited by Costock_Fox

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

I’ve got a T6 transporter converted to a camper by a company in Leicester called Jacks Shack and they have done a class job.

Cool.

That's my plan for when I get too old for grown-up camping... :giggle:

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Haha. I’d seriously love to do what you do but my dogs are arseholes so that’s not possible.

Will try and post some pics.

I've met a few people who hike with dogs - they even have little backpacks to carry their own food.

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

I presume you didn’t come across many people doing it with husky’s that want to eat everything? Lol 

No. lol

Funnily enough, I was menaced by a husky-type dog when I was out training today; I just bared my teeth at it and growled and it ran away. :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

No. lol

Funnily enough, I was menaced by a husky-type dog when I was out training today; I just bared my teeth at it and growled and it ran away. :D

Mine are soft as shit if you aren’t a small animal but no chance of letting them off their leads.

Nobody here has mentioned Wales. If you are going that way check out the owners first. I have had some bad experiences with English camp site owners on the other side of Offa's Dyke. Exactly like the Carry On Camping sketch except much more middle class. Probably retired accountants or estate agents intent on the simple life. But still not forgoing the opportunity to screw you for every last quid they can get. Could end up cheaper staying in a B&B.

Scotland is my favourite. It really is true that you can wild camp almost anywhere there is unenclosed land. And you don't have to be a hardened backpacker to find somewhere to enjoy. One of the best, the beach at Talisker, Skye. Distillery next door and boss pub the other side of the road.

Avoid Lairg, however. The campsite boss there is a petty dictator who the locals call Mrs Hitler. 

I caused her to come angrily stomping round in her jackboots by arriving in mid-evening when it was getting dark, and driving my car onto her precious grass so I could put up my tent with the aid of the headlights. I did endeavour to point out tactfully that she had caused much more noise and general aggravation to the other customers by noisily ranting on for ten minutes, when I could have knocked the tent up and cleared off to the pub, in silence, in less than nine.

There are still a few places in Scotland I am determined to tick off my bucket list* one day. The Shelter Stone is one.

Written from the comfort of my caravan. Heating, running hot and cold water, flushing toilet. Even a shower.

*Not the one I use for a No. 2