Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Anyone here do much camping?

Looking at doing it with some mates in the summer as a general get together before one of us gets married. 

Just needs to be in a nice area really, somewhere to get a fire and BBQ going maybe and not too close to other guests so we can play music or whatever, that sort of thing. If there's some bits and pieces to do nearby, be it walks, pubs etc then that'd be cool too.

Pretty much the most basic camping trip ever when you write it down! 

I'm just after some camping site recommendations in central England really but happy to go further if it's really decent. I haven't got a scooby where is likely to be good or bad but obviously don't want to be disturbing a load of children/families if I can help it as six or seven lads on the beer all evening probably requires a more specific camping site, I don't know?

I'd appreciate any help!

:D

17 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

Yes Finnegan! This is what I'm after.

The pic on their website looks lovely. 

campsite-8.jpg

You been before?

Yeah I used to go Edale a lot with my dad growing up. It's the perfect base camp for a lot of the most popular walks in the Derbyshire Peaks. 

It's very popular with walkers so you'll find pubs and shops about etc. 

Castleton is good as well, basically either side of Mam Tor which is a nice peak. 

This is all assuming you don't want to go to the Lake District ofc, given you've said middle England. 

1 hour ago, Ozwin said:

Looking at doing it with some mates in the summer as a general get together before one of us gets married. 

Just needs to be in a nice area really, somewhere to get a fire and BBQ going maybe and not too close to other guests so we can play music or whatever, that sort of thing. If there's some bits and pieces to do nearby, be it walks, pubs etc then that'd be cool too.

I'm just after some camping site recommendations in central England really but happy to go further if it's really decent. I haven't got a scooby where is likely to be good or bad but obviously don't want to be disturbing a load of children/families if I can help it as six or seven lads on the beer all evening probably requires a more specific camping site, I don't know?

I'd appreciate any help!

Decent campsites usually have a lot of families staying there, but boozing buddies can co-exist with them if you drink in the day and go to bed when everyone else does (i.e. when it gets dark in the summer).

Stay up drinking and shouting until 3 am and not only will everybody hate you, but your punishment will be waking up 3 hours later when the early morning sun turns your tent into an oven and everyone's kids wake up and start running around the place screaming and you will have literally the worst ever hangover and pray for the sweet release of death.

If you can convince your party that this is the way to go, then congratulations for you will be our new negotiator with the EU

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozwin said:

Yes Finnegan! This is what I'm after.

The pic on their website looks lovely. 

campsite-8.jpg

You been before?

I've been to that campsite, it is good but it is also popular and can be a bit of a squeeze as Edale is the start of the Pennine Way.

If you want to make a lot of noise etc have you considered wild camping?  It is tolerated in places like the Lakes as long as you leave no trace.  I used to do it a lot.  It means pooing in a hole in the ground, but I would recommend Grisedale Tarn or Sprinkling Tarn.  A bit of a trek to get up there but once you're there you could make as much noise as you want.

Also Brancaster beach in Norfolk.  Not sure if it is strictly allowed but whenever I have done it I've had no problems and you get a few locals having a bit of a party so noise shouldn't be a problem there either.

3 hours ago, Ozwin said:

I'd appreciate any help!

Silverstone! 1st or 2nd weekend of July is usually decent. 

So I wrote this late last night and sadly in went missing, but anyway.

My suggestion if you don't mind travelling a bit further to get a truly unforgettable experience would be to consider wild camping in scotland. I have camped throughout the UK and the experience scotland can offer for me is unparalleled. You can just turn up park your car and walk until you find somewhere stunning to sleep the night, also with this kind of camping in scotland you get the isolation to be able to truly do whatever you want (while respecting the environment of cause), you can also build a fire as well which campsites can be funny about. If you'd be interested in something like this (I know it's not for everyone) I would recommend looking up Loch Lomond. This Loch is absolutely stunning and is relatively southern (for scotland), you can literally pitch your tent on the side of the Loch!

(I feel like I sold it better last night)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ozwin said:

I'd appreciate any help!

Peak District is your place then squire, stayed at a few over the years and you're never more than a mile or so walk from some decent boozers.

18 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

My suggestion if you don't mind travelling a bit further to get a truly unforgettable experience would be to consider wild camping in scotland. I have camped throughout the UK and the experience scotland can offer for me is unparalleled. You can just turn up park your car and walk until you find somewhere stunning to sleep the night, also with this kind of camping in scotland you get the isolation to be able to truly do whatever you want (while respecting the environment of cause), you can also build a fire as well which campsites can be funny about. If you'd be interested in something like this (I know it's not for everyone) I would recommend looking up Loch Lomond. This Loch is absolutely stunning and is relatively southern (for scotland), you can literally pitch your tent on the side of the Loch!

Thats the sort of camping i've always wanted to do but i've always worried about the legalities of it all

40 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Thats the sort of camping i've always wanted to do but i've always worried about the legalities of it all

You can find guides online of the legalities and maps of areas where you are allowed. I’ve done it a few times now. It’s perfectly legal in most national parks in Scotland but not England or wales. There are parts of Scotland that have introduced permits now to keep the numbers down but even then all you need to do is apply for one before you go and stick it on your tent.

Its well worth doing! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

You can find guides online of the legalities and maps of areas where you are allowed. I’ve done it a few times now. It’s perfectly legal in most national parks in Scotland but not England or wales. There are parts of Scotland that have introduced permits now to keep the numbers down but even then all you need to do is apply for one before you go and stick it on your tent.

Its well worth doing! 

You can wild camp in some parts of Dartmoor.

21 hours ago, Ozwin said:

I'd appreciate any help!

rutland water is a brilliant place to go been there a few times

3 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I think I should add a footnote to the above.  Camping in Scotland is risky as those evil Scottish midges can make the whole experience absolutely miserable.

love camping. got to be careful where you camp in the states though. Hiked up the highest point in  virginia.  Mount Rodgers. had a great time - had to dodge a few poisonous snakes, lots of wild horses up there and camped near  the top of the mountain. heard some funny animal noises during the night. woke up to find the biggest pile of bear pooh right at the entrance to the tent. Message understood.