Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Flight Sims

20 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

Hopefully landmarks like stadiums will be added by the community if that is the case. This is really looking like a huge leap in flight simulation!

I can't wait, I am glad I have found others on here with the same interest because flight simulation is a very specific interest and I can say I have no friends who share the same interest and my Mrs is fed up of watching and hearing about it! 

If this is the basic release, I cant wait to see what the possibilities are when the community creators get going.

The Orbx airports that will be coming already look amazing.

I am still very tempted to upgrade my computer to the i9-10900k and 2080TI. Excited to see how it runs on my current set up.

1 hour ago, adejo92 said:

Did you explore Leicester at all?

Did you come across football stadiums? I have heard even iconic stadiums such as Old Trafford were missing and replaced with generic office blocks. Doesn't hold much hope for other stadiums.

I have seen some Spanish stadiums but was hoping English ones were there?

yes mate, i've had a fly over Leicester and KP and surrounding areas exist! The ground is built up using the AI though, not handcrafted - but all things considered it looks pretty close.

In some cities (Paris, for example) the major landmarks; Eiffel Tower, Louvre and more are hand crafted. The cities themselves though are all built using the AI. Some of it is more detailed than others - Southampton being one example in the UK that has been created in a bit more detail. 

So you can fly over Leicester and see all the parks, see all the roads and where places would be but the buildings are generic - my house is there but it's a generic building. 

It's still pretty cool flying over the city and seeing things like the Racecourse in Oadby, etc. 

I spent an hour flying over Lake Annecy in France where I go camping and could see the campsite and where I hire a boat from, etc. 

I spent an hour flying in the mountains in Idaho with nothing about except rivers and trees and that was peaceful. 

The scenery really is something, especially when a few thousand feet up at night and you're not so picky about the details. I really think the technology is amazing and this will obviously be THE sim for 5/10+ years now - I'd expect we will see them advance it a lot over the next few years.

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

Appreciate the info and gives me confidence that with a 2060, i5 9600k overclocked at 5ghz and 32gb ram, I should be sound. The weathers important for me so like yourself I’ll be setting that to high. My monitors aren’t 4K, I opted for 1080p at 144hz instead, so again, fairly confident I’ll run at a decent level.

No worries! 

I'd imagine you'll get a nice 50-60fps on high at 1080p with that setup, with a few bits bumped up to ultra maybe - or some higher resolution scaling. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adejo92 said:

I can't wait, I am glad I have found others on here with the same interest because flight simulation is a very specific interest and I can say I have no friends who share the same interest and my Mrs is fed up of watching and hearing about it! 

If this is the basic release, I cant wait to see what the possibilities are when the community creators get going.

The Orbx airports that will be coming already look amazing.

I am still very tempted to upgrade my computer to the i9-10900k and 2080TI. Excited to see how it runs on my current set up.

Once the dust has settled we’ll have to set a flight up or something!

I’d recommend holding off for the 3000 series if you can. Hopefully my current set up will tie me over for the next 6-12 months.

Edited by Wet Trump

i'd be interested to see how the Xbox One version stacks up - but I don't think that version is due for release any time soon.

Might have to save up and buy myself a new PC maybe - anyone have a feel for what sort of wedge I'd be looking at to be able to run this at a decent level?

16 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

i'd be interested to see how the Xbox One version stacks up - but I don't think that version is due for release any time soon.

Might have to save up and buy myself a new PC maybe - anyone have a feel for what sort of wedge I'd be looking at to be able to run this at a decent level?

What do you have at the moment? When I built my pc l underestimated the need for a decent monitor, so a couple of those set me back 300-400.

I reckon you’d be able to get a CPU bundle with RAM and motherboard for about 300, half decent graphics card would be about 300 (although may be worth holding on a month or so as nvidia are releasing their next series which should shake up the prices a bit).

You could probably get something capable of running it for about £700 I reckon. 

Edit - just had a scan over some component prices and you might be looking at more 400-500 for a capable cpu, ram and motherboard.

Edited by Wet Trump

17 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

What do you have at the moment? When I built my pc l underestimated the need for a decent monitor, so a couple of those set me back 300-400.

I reckon you’d be able to get a CPU bundle with RAM and motherboard for about 300, half decent graphics card would be about 300 (although may be worth holding on a month or so as nvidia are releasing their next series which should shake up the prices a bit).

You could probably get something capable of running it for about £700 I reckon. 

Cheers!

I could probably stretch to £1000 (in a few months time), so should be able to get something decent for that!

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

Cheers!

I could probably stretch to £1000 (in a few months time), so should be able to get something decent for that!

If you’re going at it with £1000 you’ll be sound.

Anyone else set their region to Kiribati? Could be available to download in an hour 🇰🇮 

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I agree with @Wet Trump.

I believe that the Xbox Version is set for a 2021 release and even then, this simulator will rely heavily upon mods and additional content which can not be guaranteed on Xbox. I don't know if you have ever played Cities Skylines but its a similar thing, you get a fraction of the experience due to the lack of mods / additional content.

If you could stretch to a grand, you could easily run this at a good level. Below are the requirements set by Microsoft;

flight-simulator-2020-requirements-880x441.jpg.b6b8585481aed60cf5105ee7e3ddbd53.jpg

You could get a set up that suits recommended for under £1,000 if you shopped around.

Edited by adejo92

19 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

If you’re going at it with £1000 you’ll be sound.

Anyone else set their region to Kiribati? Could be available to download in an hour 🇰🇮 

Will that work? And is that Steam or Microsoft?

Won't it detect you are not in the region? i guess there could be a VPN but worried it may cause issues later down the line with additional content etc.

27 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Will that work? And is that Steam or Microsoft?

Won't it detect you are not in the region? i guess there could be a VPN but worried it may cause issues later down the line with additional content etc.

I’ve a friend who said it has worked for other games in the past with no issues. I doubt they really care so much as compared to the likes of triple A games like Call of Duty, it’s a real niche market and the infrastructure impact should be minimal. I’ll find out in 15 minutes 😂

9 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

I’ve a friend who said it has worked for other games in the past with no issues. I doubt they really care so much as compared to the likes of triple A games like Call of Duty, it’s a real niche market and the infrastructure impact should be minimal. I’ll find out in 15 minutes 😂

Oh wicked, let me know and i'll do the same then!

Just now, Wet Trump said:

It worked, although it’s asking me to install the game disc. So it hasn’t entirely worked.

Ah...Does that mean the full install via Steam then i wonder....Or, has it just installed the first part and then you may still have to wait until midnight to install the full file.

Keep me updated and good luck!

Well, if you’ve ordered through the MS store, it doesn’t like you moving to Kiribati.

However, if you install via the game pass, it’s sound. I’m currently installing the standard version. I’ll probably have a go this afternoon and then when it’s available at midnight I’ll reinstall via the Microsoft Store.