Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Flight Sims

On 01/08/2020 at 17:19, adejo92 said:

I've done an awful lot of research as I am in a similar position.

A lot of the research and feedback from people who had access to the Beta say its not as demanding a game as first thought.

The world map and realism of scenery looks great but I cant help feel when I see the videos on YouTube of the flying its a bit GTA'esque.

Apparently a lot of the videos have the realism sliders turned right down. I’m hoping that’s the case.

I’ll be keeping hold of X-plane and all of my add ons until I’m convinced. Maybe it’ll need a year or so of further development and some good payware aircraft to get it to where it needs to be. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wet Trump said:

Apparently a lot of the videos have the realism sliders turned right down. I’m hoping that’s the case.

I’ll be keeping hold of X-plane and all of my add ons until I’m convinced. Maybe it’ll need a year or so of further development and some good payware aircraft to get it to where it needs to be. 

Totally agree, if you take away add on scenery and air craft such as zibo and payware aircraft, then X-Plane is very poor too.

I believe  flight sims are very reliant Upon third party content.

The scenery looks great, its the limitations of cockpit controls and the flight physics that concern me more.

It seems a bit GTA at times.

3 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Totally agree, if you take away add on scenery and air craft such as zibo and payware aircraft, then X-Plane is very poor too.

I believe  flight sims are very reliant Upon third party content.

The scenery looks great, its the limitations of cockpit controls and the flight physics that concern me more.

It seems a bit GTA at times.

It’s videos like this that worry me 

• Like 1

On 03/08/2020 at 14:38, Wet Trump said:

It’s videos like this that worry me 

Thats exactly what I mean by it looking like GTA.

That said,  who ever decided to fly using the exterior camera should stick to GTA.

I only use that camera to pan around the view mid way through a flight or to watch replays of my landing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

To be honest when playing a sim you don’t use the behind the plane view... probably looks worse because of that. These games are usually pretty spot on 

What’s concerned me the most is the way the planes touch down, just seems a bit arcadey. I’m convinced though, it’s because they’ve got all of the assists turned on. Not long to wait and find out either way!

Either of you guys looking to get it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wet Trump said:

What’s concerned me the most is the way the planes touch down, just seems a bit arcadey. I’m convinced though, it’s because they’ve got all of the assists turned on. Not long to wait and find out either way!

I've got Game Pass and it's included so I'll definitely be having a go. 

14 hours ago, Wet Trump said:

I will be getting it on release yes, i think if you buy it before release you are allowed to download it a couple of days before launch so that it's playable from the start baring in mind its going to be a huge file.

I currently have an i7-6700k , GTX 1080 & 32gb ram so will only be able to play it on medium settings id have thought. Currently saving for a new computer for the sole purpose of playing this on Ultra.

I must admit, I just can't stop thinking it looks GTA esque though. I've watched hours on YouTube and I've seen what look to be butter landing but they sound although they have been slammed onto the runway. 

Tough decision is what version to get? To get the extra airports like Heathrow,  and the extra planes like the dream liner, you need the most expensive version.

Edited by adejo92

1 hour ago, adejo92 said:

I will be getting it on release yes, i think if you buy it before release you are allowed to download it a couple of days before launch so that it's playable from the start baring in mind its going to be a huge file.

I currently have an i7-6700k , GTX 1080 & 32gb ram so will only be able to play it on medium settings id have thought. Currently saving for a new computer for the sole purpose of playing this on Ultra.

I must admit, I just can't stop thinking it looks GTA esque though. I've watched hours on YouTube and I've seen what look to be butter landing but they sound although they have been slammed onto the runway. 

Tough decision is what version to get? To get the extra airports like Heathrow,  and the extra planes like the dream liner, you need the most expensive version.

I’ve gone with the deluxe version as if the extra airports and planes are half decent I think there’s value there.

I think my set up is similar to yours. I’ve got an i5 9600k overclocked @5ghz, 32gb ram and a 2060 6gb. Expecting to be able to play at medium to high comfortably.

Almost bought a 2070 super this week but my computer friends convinced me to wait for the 3000 series which is imminent. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wet Trump said:

I’ve gone with the deluxe version as if the extra airports and planes are half decent I think there’s value there.

I think my set up is similar to yours. I’ve got an i5 9600k overclocked @5ghz, 32gb ram and a 2060 6gb. Expecting to be able to play at medium to high comfortably.

Almost bought a 2070 super this week but my computer friends convinced me to wait for the 3000 series which is imminent. 

I think you are right, I particularly want Heathrow and the Dream liner so think I shall do the same.

Yeah you will be fine, I really can't afford an upgrade so I am hoping my computer will be able to play Medium - high too.

Whilst I am tempted, I think I will wait also. Either get the 3000 series which will be future proof or when its out get a 2080ti at a much reduced price.

I cant wait now, remember to do the download  before release so its ready to go. 

1 hour ago, adejo92 said:

I think you are right, I particularly want Heathrow and the Dream liner so think I shall do the same.

Yeah you will be fine, I really can't afford an upgrade so I am hoping my computer will be able to play Medium - high too.

Whilst I am tempted, I think I will wait also. Either get the 3000 series which will be future proof or when its out get a 2080ti at a much reduced price.

I cant wait now, remember to do the download  before release so its ready to go. 

Yeah that’s the plan, I’ll go low end 3000 series or top end 2000 series.

Looking forward to the 787. All I got at the moment is the zibo 737, which is really good but obviously limited by distance.

I’ll no doubt be checking the Microsoft store all next week to make sure I download it as soon as it’s available. Half tempted to take a day off work on release day. I’m working from home at the moment and it’ll be right under my nose 😂

On 01/08/2020 at 18:19, adejo92 said:

I've done an awful lot of research as I am in a similar position.

A lot of the research and feedback from people who had access to the Beta say its not as demanding a game as first thought.

The world map and realism of scenery looks great but I cant help feel when I see the videos on YouTube of the flying its a bit GTA'esque.

They wanted to make the game accessible to "casuals" who neither own a CH HOTAS and rudder pedals nor have the time/energy/whatever to sink hundreds if not thousands of hours in a game. However it doesn't mean that you can't turn it into a hardcore sim. I'm firmly convinced that it's a-once-in generation game that will be talked about in the decades to come.

Sad thing is that I will never play it. Too picky to casually play it on a controller/keyboard, too busy with other matters to spend the necessary hours to play it as it is meant to be.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

when does it release?

Release is 18th but I did read that it will be available for download prior to that so that your good to go as soon as it is released.

Its a good idea because I've had similar frustration with games like Red Dead Redemption and Call Of Duty where you get it on release and then have to do a couple of hours of downloading.  Not to mention,  this is going to be a large download.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Release is 18th but I did read that it will be available for download prior to that so that your good to go as soon as it is released.

Its a good idea because I've had similar frustration with games like Red Dead Redemption and Call Of Duty where you get it on release and then have to do a couple of hours of downloading.  Not to mention,  this is going to be a large download.

I remember going out to buy RDR2 on release day, buzzing to get home and play... to find a 2 hour download on install 😂

• Like 1

In fact, I'll go one better and start with some info about how it runs on my PC.

I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600x with a GTX 1660 Ti that is slightly overclocked. 

At 1440p I get 85-100 FPS on CoD MW with everything set to High. 

In MSFS 2020 I'm getting approx. 50fps with most things set to Medium but with volumetric clouds set to High (to make the clouds look nice, basically). 

This game is quite hungry when it comes to GPU requirements - keep in mind I'm running at 1440p though, so to be expected. I'd expect to run everything at High quite comfortably on 1080p. 

It eats up a lot more GPU in intensive areas. Handcrafted large airports like Heathrow see the FPS drop to 25-35 FPS on the runway / taxi areas. It rises to 35-45 FPS during the climb with the city of London below. Once you're at 10,000ft+ it goes back up to 50+ FPS. 

There are loads of options in the graphics settings to fiddle with and you can see improvements if you're willing to sacrifice things like building detail, for example (which doesn't matter when you spend 80% of the time thousands of feet in the air). 

Rain and clouds don't seem to have too much of an effect but night time sees FPS drops due to all of the extra lighting elements. Also, flying things the like the A380 sees FPS drops in the cockpit due to all of the instruments. 

I'm sure they will optimise further post launch but my general feeling is that the game is fairly GPU hungry, especially on higher resolutions. 

Hope that helps people who are thinking about whether their PC can run it. 

As for the install process - via Game Pass / Microsoft Store - it will install a 2gb pre-load launcher and then the remaining 95gb (initially) will install from there. It installs all elements at once - you do have the option to uninstall certain aircraft, lessons, hand-crafted airports, etc. from the content manager within the game once installed.

The game also uses a rolling cache system to store location data so if you fly the same areas regularly it isn't constantly downloading the same terrain data pre-flight. You can set how big you want this cache size to be and it'll automatically remove the oldest data once full. 

If there is anything else feel free to ask! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

In fact, I'll go one better and start with some info about how it runs on my PC.

In MSFS 2020 I'm getting approx. 50fps with most things set to Medium but with volumetric clouds set to High (to make the clouds look nice, basically). 

This game is quite hungry when it comes to GPU requirements - keep in mind I'm running at 1440p though, so to be expected. I'd expect to run everything at High quite comfortably on 1080p. 

It eats up a lot more GPU in intensive areas. Handcrafted large airports like Heathrow see the FPS drop to 25-35 FPS on the runway / taxi areas. It rises to 35-45 FPS during the climb with the city of London below. Once you're at 10,000ft+ it goes back up to 50+ FPS. 

There are loads of options in the graphics settings to fiddle with and you can see improvements if you're willing to sacrifice things like building detail, for example (which doesn't matter when you spend 80% of the time thousands of feet in the air). 

Rain and clouds don't seem to have too much of an effect but night time sees FPS drops due to all of the extra lighting elements. Also, flying things the like the A380 sees FPS drops in the cockpit due to all of the instruments. 

I'm sure they will optimise further post launch but my general feeling is that the game is fairly GPU hungry, especially on higher resolutions. 

As for the install process - via Game Pass / Microsoft Store - it will install a 2gb pre-load launcher and then the remaining 95gb (initially) will install from there. It installs all elements at once - you do have the option to uninstall certain aircraft, lessons, hand-crafted airports, etc. from the content manager within the game once installed.

The game also uses a rolling cache system to store location data so if you fly the same areas regularly it isn't constantly downloading the same terrain data pre-flight. You can set how big you want this cache size to be and it'll automatically remove the oldest data once full. 

Did you explore Leicester at all?

Did you come across football stadiums? I have heard even iconic stadiums such as Old Trafford were missing and replaced with generic office blocks. Doesn't hold much hope for other stadiums.

I have seen some Spanish stadiums but was hoping English ones were there?

49 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Appreciate the info and gives me confidence that with a 2060, i5 9600k overclocked at 5ghz and 32gb ram, I should be sound. The weathers important for me so like yourself I’ll be setting that to high. My monitors aren’t 4K, I opted for 1080p at 144hz instead, so again, fairly confident I’ll run at a decent level.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Did you explore Leicester at all?

Did you come across football stadiums? I have heard even iconic stadiums such as Old Trafford were missing and replaced with generic office blocks. Doesn't hold much hope for other stadiums.

I have seen some Spanish stadiums but was hoping English ones were there?

Hopefully landmarks like stadiums will be added by the community if that is the case. This is really looking like a huge leap in flight simulation!

Edited by Wet Trump