Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

80s away days

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

I loved that. 

Detest the inflexibility and restrictions on away travel. 

I get your point but it's worse in Holland. Most clubs can only travel by official bus, some are allowed to travel by car, but you can't travel using public transport to away games, if caught with match ticket you can be turned back.

And some clubs still have bans in place. Ajax and Feyanoord can't attend the respective aways at each other's ground and Ajax can't travel to ADO den haag such is the I'll feeling that still exists due to Ajax Jewish history.

Although for balance apart from rare circumstances the fixture list that is publish stands. The tv games are decided before they produce it.

Edited by Bayfox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cheshfox said:

Used to love the football specials that british rail ran.

Remember the Ipswich one well, stopping at cricklewood on the way home in order for the police to cart some norty boys off ?.

I remember that, I'd never even heard of Cricklewood at the time!

9 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Also remember the minivan (Paull's from the saff - of course) me & my mates were in got ambushed in a pub car-park in Alvaston (Alvaston, oh Alvaston!) and an unholy tear-up ensued. 

So despite winning 6-1 we lost the victory (tho we won the replay at Cov) AND I lost my bleeding deposit on the van!

Painful.

Paulls from the saff and Dave Tallis van hire from Hinckley.

If those minibuses were parked up at a boozer en route, it was advisable to avoid unless you enjoyed pre arranged scraps with the oppo

6 hours ago, Markyblue said:

I was there with about 5000 others packed in the away end. No tickets neeed turn up at the turnstiles and in you went. Sometimes 2 of you together. ?

Great day. Me and 3 mates were in the Fulham end. Reckon there was 8 to 10K City fans at the game.

9 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Not forgetting the football “special” train service as a young man then even our own fans were intimidating 

This, sir, is a very valid point. I thought it was just me.

I was shit scared of our own fans.

Tbh, we weren't a friendly bunch and always felt that lads were as likely to kick off with each other.

In world war terms, you wouldn't want to be in the trenches with 1980s city fans. They never had your back.

22 hours ago, 49er said:

Scariest away trip - FA Cup replay away at Millwall in the mid eighties. I was a student in London at the time. Travelled by tube/overground train from North London, with my LCFC scarf safely tucked in. I was one of the first City fans into the ground. We should have won the game, but ended up losing 2-0. At the end, there was a sense of relief, thinking that the Millwall fans would be happy with a victory and would forget about a confrontation. Instead, they invaded the pitch and headed towards our end. Fortunately, we had a big fence separating us. In the next round, they played Luton away and totally ravaged the place.

I was at that Millwal FA Cup game too, at the Old Den.

It wasn`t a replay though, the game had been postponed, on numerous occasions if i remember rightly.

As you say though, despite them beating us, their fans ran onto the pitch at the end, and ran over to our end, with less than friendly intentions shall we say. lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Tbh, we weren't a friendly bunch and always felt that lads were as likely to kick off with each other.

In world war terms, you wouldn't want to be in the trenches with 1980s city fans. They never had your back.

City fans were always fighting amongst themselves. Was on a train to Luton, when they kicked off with each other one time, also at Southend when it cracked off in our end, and back in the 70s, the different estates sometimes used to fight each other in the Kop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I remember the first time me and mi pals got off the tube at Surbiton or somewhere and went to the Old Den for the first time.

That was a scary old place. Watched a mr Edward Sheringham score a brace if I recollect clearly

Surbiton is leafy suburbia near Kingston - a world away from Millwall. If it was the Old Den, you probably got off at New Cross Gate...and subsequently wished you hadn't. 

• Like 2

I remember the famous Ipswich away in ‘91 BS having a row on the pitch dressed as Bhuddist Monks - so funny.

The modern world seems so safe compared to back then. Obviously there are enormous benefits to that, but there is something a bit sinister about how closely the state is able to monitor and control things like rowdy footy fans. 

• Like 2

Guest Markyblue
4 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

City fans were always fighting amongst themselves. Was on a train to Luton, when they kicked off with each other one time, also at Southend when it cracked off in our end, and back in the 70s, the different estates sometimes used to fight each other in the Kop.

Some of the worst fighting back then was our own fans knocking shit out of each other,  bizarre. 

22 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

I was at that Millwal FA Cup game too, at the Old Den.

It wasn`t a replay though, the game had been postponed, on numerous occasions if i remember rightly.

As you say though, despite them beating us, their fans ran onto the pitch at the end, and ran over to our end, with less than friendly intentions shall we say. lol

#metoo

8 hours ago, Line-X said:

Ha! - "Alan Towers" reporting...Midlands Today. Completely forgotten about him. His ITV counterpart was Trevor East. 

Bob Warman, one of the presenters on ATV, is still going strong - he must be in his seventies

9 hours ago, bss9401 said:

I was there. Classic big away game of the eighties. There's no doubt that the goalie exaggerated as it didn't hit him as he had claimed but it was immaterial in the end. It must have been so scary for him as heavy, old wooden chairs and coins were thrown around him. These days we would've been banned. What a day out, though. 

I actually had my eye on the keeper as he was hit on the head. It looked like a coin. He went down like a sack of spuds. Neil Warnock made a real meal of it, and was telling the keeper to feign injury by not getting up. When the FA decided that the game had to be replaced, I wrote to Ted Croker (FA Secretary) and requested a refund as they had decided that the match had not taken place. He refused!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Line-X said:

Anyone at this? Still have a relative living in the same house on The Bishops Park Road who has unbelievably never watched a match at the Cottage. 

Wilson's goal, one of my favourite away celebrations ever and part of our 15 game winning streak under Milne. Saw him the next day in County News in Oadby and shook his hand.

All went South for Fulham V Derby on the last day of the season...farcical.... 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/that-1980s-sports-blog/2018/may/03/fulham-promotion-leicester-derby-football-league

I think there were around 9,000 City fans packed in behind the goal. I remember thinking that Wilson had scuffed his shot, but it bobbled and bounced over the outstretched hand of Peyton, the Fulham goalkeeper. Fulham had some near misses - their main threat, Gordon Davies, had a goal disallowed for off-side. Kevin McDonald worried us with his cheeky headers back to Wallington. An incredibly important win over our near rivals that paved the way for promotion. I was at Filbert Street in February, along with around 6,500 fans, for the Shrewsbury game that turned out to be the first of our fifteen match unbeaten run.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 49er said:

I think there were around 9,000 City fans packed in behind the goal. I remember thinking that Wilson had scuffed his shot, but it bobbled and bounced over the outstretched hand of Peyton, the Fulham goalkeeper. Fulham had some near misses - their main threat, Gordon Davies, had a goal disallowed for off-side. Kevin McDonald worried us with his cheeky headers back to Wallington. 

Is that where Ian Wilson got the idea from in the semi final against Spurs? 

50 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Surbiton is leafy suburbia near Kingston - a world away from Millwall. If it was the Old Den, you probably got off at New Cross Gate...and subsequently wished you hadn't.  

do not remember where we got off but we had to walk a full circuit,  around the ground and god knows what industrial parks, to get to our end. Lots of dodgy looks but we only got offered one fight which was successfully ignored. Safer than QPR away in my experience

1 hour ago, AylestoneRaider said:

The modern world seems so safe compared to back then. Obviously there are enormous benefits to that, but there is something a bit sinister about how closely the state is able to monitor and control things like rowdy footy fans. 

Have you forgotten the Hoolivan?

1 hour ago, AylestoneRaider said:

I remember the famous Ipswich away in ‘91 BS having a row on the pitch dressed as Bhuddist Monks - so funny.

Good day that 

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I used to work with a bloke who’d go with Liverpool in the 80s. Was much the same, he’d fear a hiding more off the scousers as they’d pick on ‘the Wools’ 

He had a couple of stories. Once when Liverpool had a FA Cup semi and Southampton played at Highbury same day. It all kicked off in euston and coppers decided to charge in...horses and all...the horseshoes just made them slip over, and he remembers grown blokes kicking hell out of horses and the police riding them. 

Said Cup games always used to be tricky as a ‘smaller club’ would have their local idiots attend. He turned up at Luton once to see two lads bleeding from stabbings by the locals.