Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

20 minutes ago, MattP said:

Would you just allow anyone to play for any country? 

Or do you not want tournaments like this to even exist as you don't believe in the nation state? 

No, not really. There should definitely be citizenship requirements, as there are right now to be a citizen of a nation and to represent them in sport - otherwise the whole national sporting system is a joke and countries going head to head in a sporting context is a much better method of competition than...the other thing.

Once you've satisfied those requirements, however, that should be the end of the matter IMO, which is why I don't really like the digs based on where someone has been born and the idea that such things are totally immutable.

NB. I'm actually ok with the idea of the nation state (as much as it seems otherwise) as it acts as a good unifying factor, I just don't like it when people take it so seriously that it gets in the way of decisions that affect everyone and need to be made globally.

Edited by leicsmac

Guest MattP
14 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

No, not really. There should definitely be citizenship requirements, as there are right now to be a citizen of a nation and to represent them in sport - otherwise the whole national sporting system is a joke and countries going head to head in a sporting context is a much better method of competition than...the other thing.

Once you've satisfied those requirements, however, that should be the end of the matter IMO, which is why I don't really like the digs based on where someone has been born and the idea that such things are totally immutable.

NB. I'm actually ok with the idea of the nation state (as much as it seems otherwise) as it acts as a good unifying factor, I just don't like it when people take it so seriously that it gets in the way of decisions that affect everyone and need to be made globally.

Fair enough, personal opinion of mine is citizenship shouldn't allow you to represent a country and it should be down to bloodline.

Last point is fine, but unless people deeply care about their nations we wouldn't have tournaments like this anyway. 

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

Fair enough, personal opinion of mine is citizenship shouldn't allow you to represent a country and it should be down to bloodline.

Last point is fine, but unless people deeply care about their nations we wouldn't have tournaments like this anyway. 

Fair enough too - I like the idea of someone being able to change the hand they were dealt (viz. place of birth/parentage) because it allows you freedom to change something that was totally beyond your control, but I can see why folks might think that would cause a mess-up.

Edited by leicsmac

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I wasn't having a 'dig' at where they were born.

I was having a dig at the 'rules' which allows athletes to represent their country of birth and then switch allegiance and represent a different country. For me, if you've played for/represented your country, you shouldn't then be allowed to change. 

How you can stand up one week and sing the national anthem of your birth country with pride, passion and emotion and then the next week stand up and do exactly the same for a different country (and pretend you care as much) is the bit I've got a problem with.

12 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I wasn't having a 'dig' at where they were born.

I was having a dig at the 'rules' which allows athletes to represent their country of birth and then switch allegiance and represent a different country. For me, if you've played for/represented your country, you shouldn't then be allowed to change. 

How you can stand up one week and sing the national anthem of your birth country with pride, passion and emotion and then the next week stand up and do exactly the same for a different country (and pretend you care as much) is the bit I've got a problem with.

Then thank you for the clarification.

There's something in the idea of if you've already represented your country of birth then you're probably OK with the idea of being a citizen of that country and that then switching does seem a bit hypocritical...at the time of you doing so, anyway.

Of course, matters can change and nations can do things that perhaps might not make an individual proud of them/want to be associated with them any more and under those circumstances I don't think I could be judgemental of someone then looking to seek a different flag. IMO it is possible to grow over time to have as much pride and feeling in an adopted country as one of birth and as such I'm happy for the rules to accommodate such possible changes. Perhaps staying to try to rectify things as best you can is the more noble option, but not everyone has that kind of power.

Edited by leicsmac

16 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Two sides who'll be glad they're playing each other reasonably early on, but still a potentially huge game.

Definitely. Plenty of time to recover for which ever side loses.

Just now, Chiltern Fox said:

Seeing out first 10 or 15 without losing wicket is key. India have great support from their fans.

Yep.

It's a shame you don't see the same kind of crowds for test matches. People want instant entertainment these days and a test match is not good enough for some, sadly.

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yep.

It's a shame you don't see the same kind of crowds for test matches. People want instant entertainment these days and a test match is not good enough for some, sadly.

It is a shame, especially with such a charismatic leader who seems to enjoy Tests like Kohli does.

Hopefully that pimple cream he's been flogging will help get more spotty people into red ball cricket... :D

7 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

It is a shame, especially with such a charismatic leader who seems to enjoy Tests like Kohli does.

Hopefully that pimple cream he's been flogging will help get more spotty people into red ball cricket... :D

Mate, that never needs to be mentioned again. Ever.

All talk should of it should be a ban-worthy offence lol 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Fully behind this - would love to see the Aussies get a pasting.

Think both these will beat us though.

Hmmm...England have better batting than either of these teams - there's a reason England won eight matches against both of these teams by a combined total of 7-1 last summer.

The Aussies, in particular, have the bowling to threaten on an off day, though.

8 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Fully behind this - would love to see the Aussies get a pasting.

Think both these will beat us though.

Not so sure about us beating you in Edgbaston. As @leicsmac said, England's batting line-up will get you far in the tournament. Batting so deep helps in any tournament really.

1 minute ago, Milky said:

What about all of the India supporters who are born and bred in England? They even support India against England. English when it suits of course. 

FFS, don't go there on the cricket thread 

• Thanks 1