Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Fair play to Smith, hell of an innings to steer the Aussies towards something respectable when his lower order batsment shat the bed.

It's why I'd never bet against the aussies….they always fight till the bitter end.

Biased because I was there but probably game of the tournament so far for me - a proper game of cricket. Could easily have swung either way and both sides were on top at different points. Thomas looked very sharp and loved seeing the working over the Windies gave the Aussie top order, but for me Starc looked even quicker than any of them (not sure if the speed gun stats will bear that out? Guess the naked eye can be deceived).

Smith is a bloody good player and I'm really worried about the impact he's definitely going to have on the Ashes. Not quite sure where Coulter-Nile's knock came from but fair play to the bloke. Hope also looked very assured and took a great catch too. As for Cottrell's, I'm just gutted it was the other side of the ground to where we were.

The official tournament lager is pretty shite, though the IPA grew on me. Jugs of Pimm's offered the best value in the end. :D

Just buzzing to get to my next game after that. Can see Windies v New Zealand being just as entertaining, assuming both still have something to play for...

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Defo West Indies best player :whistle:

This is the second time I've seen you make a crack about naturalised English athletes in the last couple of days Izzy.

Bee in your bonnet?

As for the game itself, this will be good for Englands NRR - that might well be important.

Edited by leicsmac

48 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

This is the second time I've seen you make a crack about naturalised English athletes in the last couple of days Izzy.

Bee in your bonnet?

As for the game itself, this will be good for Englands NRR - that might well be important.

Yeah I do have a bee in my bonnet when athletes have represented another country before ours. Konta for Australia and Archer for Barbados for example.

Call me old fashioned etc etc but it don’t sit well with me

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Yeah I do have a bee in my bonnet when athletes have represented another country before ours. Konta for Australia and Archer for Barbados for example.

I've always found it a bit weird too, but at least Archer has a British parent.

****ing love the world cup.

Seems like the lad is okay but hope there's no further injuries :( 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48567990

Australia batsman David Warner was left "shaken up" after hitting a net bowler on the head with a powerful drive, captain Aaron Finch said.

His visibly concerned team-mates had to halt their practice session at The Oval while medics treated the bowler - understood to be a local cricketer named Jaykishan Plaha.

He was taken to hospital as a precaution after receiving treatment.

Defending champions Australia face India in a World Cup match on Sunday.

"The net bowler has been taken to hospital as a precautionary measure because it was a head injury," International Cricket Council venue manager Michael Gibson told reporters.

"He was conscious and smiling as he was taken off."

He was among a handful of local cricketers helping the Aussies prepare for their third match of the World Cup in London.

Finch said: "Dave is obviously pretty shaken up. The young guy is in pretty good spirits at the moment. He has obviously been taken to the hospital to be assessed that everything is OK.

"It was a pretty decent hit, so hopefully everything goes well for the youngster and he is up and running shortly."

Cricket Australia later confirmed the bowler was being monitored for delayed signs of concussion, but that a CT scan had cleared him of any major damage.

In 2014, Warner, 32, who returned to playing international cricket in April after a year-long ban for ball-tampering, was playing for New South Wales in the Sheffield Shield game when his Australia team-mate and close friend Philip Hughes was fatally struck on the head by a ball while batting for South Australia.

In July 2017, Nottinghamshire bowler Luke Fletcher was struck on the head by the ball during a T20 Blast match, ruling him out for the season.

At the time, the 30-year-old said he was "lucky to still be here" and that he "dodged a bullet", after he was hit by a straight drive from Birmingham Bears batsman Sam Hain.

"It's quite rare that somebody gets hit, it's really unfortunate," Finch added.

"Our own medical staff and the paramedics on the ground did a great job."

8 hours ago, Izzy said:

:dunno: Fair enough, I simply don't get the idea of nationality being fixed and immutable based on one of two decisions you had zero control over (birth and parentage), especially in a sporting context, but then I find the whole idea of nationality outside a sporting context something that would be amusing if it wasn't taken seriously to the point of "lots of folks getting killed" by other people, so I guess we're looking at this from different angles.

Guest MattP
4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

:dunno: Fair enough, I simply don't get the idea of nationality being fixed and immutable based on one of two decisions you had zero control over (birth and parentage), especially in a sporting context, but then I find the whole idea of nationality outside a sporting context something that would be amusing if it wasn't taken seriously to the point of "lots of folks getting killed" by other people, so I guess we're looking at this from different angles.

Would you just allow anyone to play for any country? 

Or do you not want tournaments like this to even exist as you don't believe in the nation state?