Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scotch

Our back four.

Just something I was thinking about earlier when I should have been working.

Outside of Liverpool and Man City, are there any defenders in the PL that you would do a direct swap with, in return for one of our back four (I.E Chilwell, Maguire, Evan's and Ricardo)? 

In my opinion, there is definitely no one within Utd or Arsenal. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone at Chelsea. Spurs, yeah I'd probably swap Evans for big Toby but apart from that.... no one obvious jumps to mind. 

After thinking about it  it made up my mind that we should do all we can to keep Maguire. Previously I was indecent as long as we got a good price for him but now, I'd like him to stay because I think that back line has the potential to be one of the best in the league, especially with an in form Ndidi protecting them. 

There was a comment from a pundit the other week who said our entire back four was better than anything Man United or Arsenal could dream of putting out, which shows how good recruitment and development has been over the past two years. Evans has been an absolute steal for the fee he cost. 

• Like 2

Just now, DerbyshireFox said:

There was a comment from a pundit the other week who said our entire back four was better than anything Man United or Arsenal could dream of putting out, which shows how good recruitment and development has been over the past two years. Evans has been an absolute steal for the fee he cost. 

Yeah our back four is better than Arsenal's and Man United and i'd even use the world comfortably to describe it.

But Chelsea and Spurs both have very high quality centre halves without having good fullbacks.

7 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Yeah our back four is better than Arsenal's and Man United and i'd even use the world comfortably to describe it.

But Chelsea and Spurs both have very high quality centre halves without having good fullbacks.

Personally I’d prefer Maguire over David Luiz. Chelsea would let him go without the transfer ban. Good player of course, but of the two I’d have Slabhead all day long. Chelsea and Spurs have undoubtedly recruited well over the years, which puts them way ahead of Arsenal and Man United 

12 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Rudiger, David Luiz, Azpilicueta, Vertonghen, Sanchez and Alderweireld all walk into our team.

You've maybe got a point with the rest but I'd argue Azpilicueta all day long. I wouldn't swap Ricardo for him. Not when you consider, the season they both have had, age, potential....  Nah, it would be Ricky for me all day. I've never been a huge fan of Luiz either to be fair. In a team like ours who dont always rely on possession, I think hes a bit too scatty.

Of course a few Chelsea and Spurs defenders would walk into our side.

I wouldn't swap Ricardo and Chilwell for anybody.

Outside of the top six the only CB's I'd take over Maguire and Evans right now are Nathan Ake and Issa Diop.

Just now, Foxy_Bear said:

You've maybe got a point with the rest but I'd argue Azpilicueta all day long. I wouldn't swap Ricardo for him. Not when you consider, the season they both have had, age, potential....  Nah, it would be Ricky for me all day. I've never been a huge fan of Luiz either to be fair. In a team like ours who dont always rely on possession, I think hes a bit too scatty.

Azpilicueta is a centre half. He only plays right back because Chelsea's other option is Zappacosta.

• Like 1

Just now, Keiriel said:

Off the top of my head, there's Wan-Bissaka, Digne, Sanchez, Rudiger, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Lascelles, Bailly, and Ake. I'm pretty happy with our current back four, though.

Those in bold aren't better than what we have.

• Like 1

Really happy with our  back 4 right now. Something I didn't think I'd  be saying after the woeful defending of set pieces previously. 

As I've said on another post I no longer hide behind the sofa every time the opposition get a corner.

Assuming we keep this back 4 (or are able to replace Maguire with someone solid) it is covering our chances at the other end that I'd like to see an emphasis on next season (and players bought who can help that happen).

Our midfield is creating chances, and I'm happy with the set up we have now with Tielmans (hope we keep him) and Maddison threading the ball through, but there's still too much expectation on Vardy to score all the goals. We need someone to help ease/ share his burden.

Alderweireld, van Dijk, Gomez, Vertonghen, Rudiger, Laporte, Sànchez, Stones all walk into our centreback spots, and there's plenty of others who you could make cases for.

Fulbacks, I would take Robertson and Digne over Chilwell purely in terms of quality, but Chilwell is an academy product so I'd rather have him. I would not have anyone over Ricardo.

• Like 2

With the back 4 and cdm being so good our defensive record must mean we need to change Kasper :ph34r:

Are there any keepers in the top 6 that you wouldn't rather have?

34 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Those in bold aren't better than what we have.

Digne is as good a defender as Chilwell, except he can cross the ball. And shoot. He is marginally better I think. Aké is actually very good in my opinion too, although I'm not sure if he's better than Evans/Maguire.

2 minutes ago, FIF said:

With the back 4 and cdm being so good our defensive record must mean we need to change Kasper :ph34r:

Lloris is on Kasper's level IMO.

Was thinking when watching the Man City game how good it must be to have a keeper that can play as much as Ederson can. Honestly think he and Ter Stegen are the top two keepers in the world right now.

2 minutes ago, FIF said:

Rather have Schmeichel over de Gea and Leno. de Gea's distribution is just not good enough for a possesion based team. Leno is inconsistent too, although he's a lot younger than Kasper so that could probably tip the scales in his favour.