Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

He’s a decent player who’ll get better, but he was dreadful yesterday. At one point their keeper had the ball and he didn’t even close him down, his effort was minimal. If we want to compete with the top 4 we need a world class winger, it’s as simple as that. Barnes should be used from the bench and in cup matches, as well as an occasional start. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sampson said:

I've seen thqt video before.

Firstly, many of those chances he runs through the defence in a way he couldnt in the PL and you dont get those chances in the PL, defenders press more and see smarter. History is littered with players who cound get 20 goals a season at Championship level but couldnt hit a barn door at PL level. Do we not remember how incredible Jermaine Beckford was at League One level, scoring some sensational goals, but how poor he was at Championship level - and that move up was way, way smaller?

Secondly, are you really judging a player on a 10 minute youtube video over the past 12 months we've watched him? Anyone can look good on YouTube- do you not remember Kaebi or Kermorgant? They looked spectacular on youtube. You're not going to get any simple chances Barnes has missed on a video like that.

His finishing this season has been atricious and last season it was even worse, evenhis solitary goal last season was shanked and dribbled in despite being a simple chance.

We have an entire calandar year now of "he just needs a goal to down down", "he's just low on confidence, one goal and he'll go on a run", "he's trying too hard, he'll get one soon then not stop" etc. etc. Meanwhile he's spent almost an entire year now fluffing simple chance after simple chance and wasting goal scoring opportunity after goal scoring opportunity.

If we're still saying the same in 6 months time, will people still be saying "he just needs a goal"? What about another year? 2 years? 3 years? At what point do fans continue to stick their head in the sand and ignore what they are watching because of a ****ing youtube video at a lower level against inferior defenders and goalkeepers?

If he wasn't a local lad who came through our academy, he'd be getting way, way less people defending him than people currently do. His actual performances on the pitch  haven't justified being as held in as high regard as he is here.

im simply saying to say he can’t finish is nonsense. don’t make it into something else- that was the point. he clearly can finish.

1 hour ago, jaylcfc94 said:

no it doesn’t prove anything. we are a premier league club competing against the best clubs in the world. the championship is a world away. look at che adams he scores over 20 in the championship but 0 in the premier league so far.  

Next you’ll be posting John from down the pub highlights saying he’s a great finisher 

What do people not get?

he said he couldn’t finish. that’s evidence he can.  no one said anything else lol

1 minute ago, jaylcfc94 said:

you’ll be posting john from down the pub 18/19 highlights  next 

it wasn’t a discussion about how good he was and can he cut it in the prem, it was a single point about wether he can finish.

some of you need to read the points people make before jumping on board all hurt and angry.

lol

6 minutes ago, MPH said:

im simply saying to say he can’t finish is nonsense. don’t make it into something else- that was the point. he clearly can finish.

Based on a YouTube video against second tier opposition, which only shows his goals and not all of his shots and misses - and against much worse defenders and goalkeepers where he gets far more time at that. His finishing has been atrocious for a good calendar year in the top flight - he may well improve in the future, but so far he's shown nothing to suggest he is anything other than an atrocious finisher at this level. It's absolutely not nonsense, it's exactly what we've seen. You're deluding yourself if you think he's shown he is a good finisher at this level, he may well be when he grows older and after training in 3 seasons time, but right now, all he has shown so far is anything but.

Again, history is littered with players who scored bucket loads and could finish at Championship level but looked woeful at PL level against better goalkeepers and defenders where they are given much time. You seem to be equating how, where and when you can finish in the Championship with the PL, which is utterly bizarre.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MPH said:

that’s irrelevant. 

The poster said he couldn’t finish and there’s proof that he can. that’s all - stop changing the goalposts.

exactly. that's like saying just because they played in a lower league means they can never step up lol 

Look at Vardy ffs. Scored shit load in non-league and then the Championship but would that mean, at the time, he can't score in the PL?!

Just now, StanSP said:

exactly. that's like saying just because they played in a lower league means they can never step up lol 

Look at Vardy ffs. Scored shit load in non-league and then the Championship but would that mean, at the time, he can't score in the PL?!

Nope. Vardy absolutely made the step up, but for every Vardy, there's 20 players who couldn't make that step up. You seem to be equating where, how and when the chances fall, the opposition they are against and the space and time you get to finish at Championship level which is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

Based on a YouTube video against second tier opposition, which only shows his goals and not all of his shots and misses - and against much worse defenders and goalkeepers where he gets far more time at that. His finishing has been atrocious for a good calendar year in the top flight - he may well improve in the future, but so far he's shown nothing to suggest he is anything other than an atrocious finisher at this level. It's absolutely not nonsense, it's exactly what we've seen. You're deluding yourself if you think he's shown he is a good finisher at this level, he may well be when he grows older and after training in 3 seasons time, but right now, all he has shown so far is anything but.

when Vardy has had his off form patches in the past, was he suddenly unable to finish?

He could still finish, he was just having an off form patch. All strikers do that.

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Nope. Vardy absolutely made the step up, but for every Vardy, there's 20 players who couldn't make that step up. You seem to be equating where, how and when the chances fall, the opposition they are against and the space and time you get to finish at Championship level which is ridiculous.

but the point being you should use scoring loads in the Championship as a stick to beat a player with saying they can't finish. It doesn't make sense.

6 minutes ago, MPH said:

when Vardy has had his off form patches in the past, was he suddenly unable to finish?

He could still finish, he was just having an off form patch. All strikers do that.

There is no comparison between the finishing ability of our greatest striker ever and a soon to be championship barnes. 

Vardy is clinical and only needs one sniff. Barnes is not. 

Edited by jaylcfc94

1 minute ago, MPH said:

Of course, but firstly Vardy has proven he could do it in the past at this level and Barnes simply hasn't and had gone a whole calendar year constantly missing chances then people would absolutely be saying Vardy isn't the player he was.

We're not talking about 3 or 4 games now, we're talking about January 2019-December 2019/ All of last season we heard "he just needs a goal" - he got it after nearly fluffing an easy chance, he didn't go on a run and now all this season we've heard is "he just needs a goal.

Mate, he's averaging 1.9 shots per game this season and averaged 2.5 shots per game for us last season - in that time, he's scored a whopping 2 goals over an entire calendar year now - 1 of which was a fluffed shot that probably wouldn't have gone in if he'd hit it cleanly

We're not talking about a bit of bad form for a few games, we're talking about the absolute worst in the league shot to goals ratio over an entire calendar year! His finishing has been absolutely inexcusable for a long time now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

but the point being you should use scoring loads in the Championship as a stick to beat a player with saying they can't finish. It doesn't make sense.

yes what’s wrong with that? posting championship highlights to prove he can finish at premier  league levels is stupid 

1 minute ago, jaylcfc94 said:

There is no comparison between the finishing ability of our greatest striker ever and a soon to be championship barnes. 

Vardy is clinical and only needs one sniff. Barnes is not. 

oh good grief. i dispair lol.

i wasn’t comparing them as strikers. i was talking about a striker  who can finish being off form. He doesn’t lose the ability to finish was my very simple point.

Just now, MPH said:

oh good grief. i dispair lol.

i wasn’t comparing them as strikers. i was talking about a striker  who can finish being off form. He doesn’t lose the ability to finish was my very simple point.

why compare premier league to championship?

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

No I'm not using as a stick at all, literally no one has in this thread, that's a bizarre straw man - This discussion came from someone posting that we should be using his finishing at Championship level to prove he's good at Premier League level. Not the other way around.

I said that's ridiculous and largely meaningless, you should be using his finishing ability at Premier League level to measure the quality of finishing in our current predicament, finishing ability at the Championship is not comparable.

Of course, but firstly Vardy has proven he could do it in the past at this level and Barnes simply hasn't and had gone a whole calendar year constantly missing chances then people would absolutely be saying Vardy isn't the player he was.

We're not talking about 3 or 4 games now, we're talking about January 2019-December 2019/ All of last season we heard "he just needs a goal" - he got it after nearly fluffing an easy chance, he didn't go on a run and now all this season we've heard is "he just needs a goal.

Mate, he's averaging 1.9 shots per game this season and averaged 2.5 shots per game for us last season - in that time, he's scored a whopping 2 goals over an entire calendar year now - 1 of which was a fluffed shot that probably wouldn't have gone in if he'd hit it cleanly

We're not talking about a bit of bad form for a few games, we're talking about the absolute worst in the league shot to goals ratio over an entire calendar year! His finishing has been absolutely inexcusable for a long time now.

The difference of course is that the majority of vardys shots are handed to him on a plate- he then exhibits great finishing.  Barnes, playing out wide has had to create the majority of his own...and i’m not saying Barnes has exhibited great finishing this season. i’m simply saying he CAN finish and it’s been proven he can.

1 minute ago, MPH said:

The difference of course is that the majority of vardys shots are handed to him on a plate- he then exhibits great finishing.  Barnes, playing out wide has had to create the majority of his own...and i’m not saying Barnes has exhibited great finishing this season. i’m simply saying he CAN finish and it’s been proven he can.

at what level? the one we’re playing at?

No I'm not using as a stick at all, literally no one has in this thread, that's a bizarre straw man - This discussion came from someone posting that we should be using his finishing at Championship level to prove he's good at Premier League level. Not the other way around.

I said that's ridiculous and largely meaningless, you should be using his finishing ability at Premier League level to measure the quality of finishing in our current predicament, finishing ability at the Championship is not comparable.

In which case it's harsh to say he 'can't finish at all' as is the argument. I don't get why it's bad to use the Championship goals record and use that against him. 

If he can't finish, then he doesn't score at any level.

I agree he should be scoring more goals. I don't doubt that. But then I think Gray and Perez should too. Seems like Barnes gets more of a rough time for it than others.

2 minutes ago, jaylcfc94 said:

why compare premier league to championship?

why take the chance on vardy when he was only proven to score non league?

people CAN make the step up... and even vardy struggled to the point he almost gave up footy.. did he stop being able to finish in that time or was he off form? low on confidence? trying too hard?