Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

On 10/12/2019 at 10:36, urban fox said:

OK so he has missed/wasted a few chances but we are hardly struggling for goals at the minute. there seems to be some fixation with our wingers scoring goals. Their main role is to take on defenders, get crosses in and set up opportunities for the main strikers/oncoming midfielders. In this respect I think he is doing more than OK with his four assists to date. Scoring goals is not everything.  as long as he is contributing in a positive way to the overall shape and attacking thrust of the team then he is doing what is asked of him. Not adverse to shaking things up occasionally, as we did at Villa, and nobody's starting place is a given but for me he is doing well and integral part of the squad. judge him on his overall play (as with Perez) not simply on the number of goals.

Aside from the villa game we have been struggling, where you been the past month? :rolleyes:

For reference he has missed 16 chances.

Where I agree is scoring isnt everything, he is very useful, for me the fix is to tell him to pass instead of shoot, problem solved.  Gray improved a lot after he stopped shooting whenever he gets the ball.

Edited by Chrysalis

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Our wingers are our weakest area, I think we'll look to bring someone in but hopefully very soon, Barnes will get another goal and settle down. There's no denying his potential.

.. Gray mark2!! 

Barnes has been a part of a very successful team surrounded by confident quality players. He has received a prolonged run in the team and somehow it appears has managed to regress. 

We constantly call out that he needs to score in order gain the confidence to take the opportunity he has been given. Well so far that's not worked and I forsee this wishful thinking could go on for some time. This is very much history repeating itself and I hope for his sake they switch him to a position that will allow him to develop his game as Gray was constrained on the left and does not know how to play seemingly, within the group. 

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

I feel like we've been saying this for a calendar year now...

How long do we have to wait until we accept he's just a dreadful finisher?

This video is 10 minutes long but you only have to watch the first minute to know you are talking absolute nonsense.

Harvey is comfortably dead last amongst the squad for Goals - Xg, with -2.4 (the next worst is Soyuncu with -0.6). By contrast Vardy is best with +5.0.

However, I don't think we should be too hard on the lad. Getting into goalscoring positions is a skill in itself, and I'd be more worried about his prospects if he wasn't getting any goalscoring chances at all. He just needs to settle down, stay composed, concentrate on his technique, and he'll be a real asset.

Watching that YouTube highlight reel just made me even more frustrated than I already was at Harvey Barnes. Some of those goals are spectacular finishes especially after dribbling at speed the length of the pitch. Why the hell is he still not doing this for Leicester? I’m sure the coaches are focusing him on this area in training so maybe he has some mental block issue like others have said. Irregardless he has to deliver ASAP otherwise he goes back out on loan. Clear goal scoring Chances are precious in this league and margins are tight. When they come we gotta be ruthless. I really do want him and gray to come good but can’t wait anymore.

btw talking of frustration the lad who fluffed his sitters for watford today must have made ol nige absolutely bonkers inside. Shocking quality at this level! 

6 hours ago, MPH said:

This video is 10 minutes long but you only have to watch the first minute to know you are talking absolute nonsense.

I've seen thqt video before.

Firstly, many of those chances he runs through the defence in a way he couldnt in the PL and you dont get those chances in the PL, defenders press more and see smarter. History is littered with players who cound get 20 goals a season at Championship level but couldnt hit a barn door at PL level. Do we not remember how incredible Jermaine Beckford was at League One level, scoring some sensational goals, but how poor he was at Championship level - and that move up was way, way smaller?

Secondly, are you really judging a player on a 10 minute youtube video over the past 12 months we've watched him? Anyone can look good on YouTube- do you not remember Kaebi or Kermorgant? They looked spectacular on youtube. You're not going to get any simple chances Barnes has missed on a video like that.

His finishing this season has been atricious and last season it was even worse, evenhis solitary goal last season was shanked and dribbled in despite being a simple chance.

We have an entire calandar year now of "he just needs a goal to down down", "he's just low on confidence, one goal and he'll go on a run", "he's trying too hard, he'll get one soon then not stop" etc. etc. Meanwhile he's spent almost an entire year now fluffing simple chance after simple chance and wasting goal scoring opportunity after goal scoring opportunity.

If we're still saying the same in 6 months time, will people still be saying "he just needs a goal"? What about another year? 2 years? 3 years? At what point do fans continue to stick their head in the sand and ignore what they are watching because of a ****ing youtube video at a lower level against inferior defenders and goalkeepers?

If he wasn't a local lad who came through our academy, he'd be getting way, way less people defending him than people currently do. His actual performances on the pitch  haven't justified being as held in as high regard as he is here.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Arkie Bennett said:

He isn't a winger. If Iheanacho has slipped out of the reckoning and we are going with two up front, I think Barnes would be more effective there.

I've watched him since he was a kid and whilst out on loan.

He's at his best when cutting in from the left but not hugging the line as a traditional winger. I still think it was a panicked mistake for him to be brought back from West Brom before the end of the season. Obviously on fire there and becoming more of a complete player

Had one of his better games when Fuchs was in for Chilwell

Tough long season at a high level is a test for a young player. He will succeed.

12 hours ago, Sampson said:

I feel like we've been saying this for a calendar year now...

How long do we have to wait until we accept he's just a dreadful finisher?

I can remember reading the same about Vardy in a thread on here a few years ago, give the lad a chance, nothing wrong with his finishing at WBA, it will come right, Hes a younster still learning in the best league in the world against some quality defenders. give him time

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Issue with him yesterday was it appeared he wasn't closing down or pressing, which was what we needed massively. 

The whole team’s pressing was off yesterday. Norwich were helped by having a couple of decent footballers in midfield but there was no co-ordination to our pressing of their defence. I would have thought you could count on one hand the number of times we turned the ball over in their half yesterday.

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

The whole team’s pressing was off yesterday. Norwich were helped by having a couple of decent footballers in midfield but there was no co-ordination to our pressing of their defence. I would have thought you could count on one hand the number of times we turned the ball over in their half yesterday.

Yes - this was very evident to me too.

30 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

He needs time, he has improved but as I stated before, just needs to learn when to shoot and when to pass in my opinion.

so we want top 4 and playing a player who doesn’t know the basics of football? I can see how this is going to play out. Bin! 

9 hours ago, MPH said:

no it doesn’t prove anything. we are a premier league club competing against the best clubs in the world. the championship is a world away. look at che adams he scores over 20 in the championship but 0 in the premier league so far.  

Next you’ll be posting John from down the pub highlights saying he’s a great finisher 

Guest An Sionnach
5 minutes ago, jaylcfc94 said:

so we want top 4 and playing a player who doesn’t know the basics of football? I can see how this is going to play out. Bin! 

If you want a reliable striker ( and ffs there aren't many) be prepared to pay 80 million +.We have to be patient and make the best use of those we have.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Some of the comments in here lol

You don't just bin off your youngsters because they go through a spell of underwhelming conceded - the other thing being that the whole team under-performed yesterday aside from Ndidi.

He has been poor in mostly every game this season