Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

He's such a frustrating player. It's not exaggerating to say he could be on 10-15 goals this season. He is great at getting into positions  but his finishing is woeful. I thought this would come with time as I was saying this in when he came back from loan last season. Unfortunately, I'm starting to worry he may turn into Gray and never fulfill the supposed potential he has. He can also be totally anonymous for large chunks of games.

I'm happy to give him more time and hopefully it'll click but I do think our wingers are our weakest and I'm surprised we didn't strengthen them properly in the summer.

• Like 1

Complete lack of movement from him today let alone anything else. Norwich deliberately compressed space on our right side so Ricardo had no room, which left Barnes and Chilwell with plenty. Unfortunately Barnes didn't make any runs inside or in behind and when he did get the ball, he invariably made the wrong decision.

Lots of players were off their game today but I thought Barnes was dreadful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

He's had good games recently but today wasn't one. He wasn't alone though. 

Dropping him to bench for last couple of games has knocked his confidence further. 

Its almost like fans need at least one player to get on at and Barnes is easy choice at the minute

Nonsense.

Any other player would've been executed ages ago. He's obviously a great talent in the making and young. Needs to sit out more games.

We would've won the game with Albrighton 

2 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Nonsense.

Any other player would've been executed ages ago. He's obviously a great talent in the making and young. Needs to sit out more games.

Bit of a bold statement, we weren't clicking no suggestion Albrighton would have fixed that. 

And Barnes gets his share of stick, as have all our wingers, Chilwell and Tielemans at times.

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Oh here we go another scapegoat for some of our spoilt fans to rip to pieces.

Anish what’s your problem with Harvey Barnes? Bore off 

Bang on. Our fans are a joke at times. Used to find it annoying now I just find it embarrassing. 

• Like 3

Should've been Perez who came on today. Poor Barnesey looked like me if the ball fell to me on the edge of the box at the King Power: "oh my god I'm gonna score in front of my clubs kop end this is the best feeling in the whole wide...**** I've missed the ball completely!!".

Still love him though. 

• Like 2

He was poor today, whenever he got the ball he took poor options.  More often than not the loose balls at the edge of their box fell to him, followed by a poor finish.

I think it's simply a lack of confidence. Contrast his efforts today with his goal at Sheff Utd.

With Gray subbed on for Iheanacho it did show up our lack of goals from out wide. Whilst Barnes is short of confidence Gray just took the wrong option, or didn't look up to find the right option.

He's got huge potential and has done very well this season, albeit without always looking like the finished article. He's trying a bit too hard on the ball - snatching at shots, rushing balls, taking too many touches - and the substitution didn't quite work out today. In fact, he looked a bit listless. He certainly wasn't the only offender, though. Ndidi and perhaps Vardy aside, I thought you could be critical of all the outfield players. Tielemans, Praet, Maddison were especially unproductive, as was Gray when he came on.

As for whether Barnes is a winger or not, well, the same applies to Perez and in the past the debate has been had about Gray. Albrighton is a conventional winger, but I'm not sure that's what we're after. A lot of people have said he predominantly played through the centre at WBA, but I certainly watched him on the left a couple of games and he was effective there. He needs to keep putting in the effort and work tirelessly on his end product in training, because it's obviously vital for him to add goals to his game, especially if he'd prefer a more central role.

That said, it wouldn't necessarily do him and Gray any harm to slip below Marc and Perez in the pecking order for a few games. I've seen many young players rested and made to work on their game, then coming back with a fresh sense of purpose.

2 hours ago, L3n9a said:

Said this in the Summer, I didn’t think our wide players Were good enough to even finish top 6, which they’re not. Been carried by fantastic players in other positions to where we are now. 

at no point this season have We been carried by our wingers in a game, not once. 

We MUST go for a winger as our next marquee acquisition. Whether that be in January or summer, who knows. 

Wide players are always the most inconsistent in the team. I can’t think of a wide player (apart from the top top level, I.e. Sancho, Sterling) who isn’t inconsistent?

Please let me know who exactly this marquee signing will be? Even Zaha blows hot and cold 

Along with Chilwell’s horror show at Anfield I’d say Barnes’ performance today was arguably the worst by any Leicester player this season.

it was so bad that he may have played his way out of the side for a while. When you’re competing at the top you can’t afford attacking players who consistently run into trouble, botch up simple passes and - worst of all - are abject at putting the ball in the net.

Yes, he’s young and clearly has a lot of talent, but he will have had Rodgers inwardly seething today with the amount of promising attacks that he butchered.

And no, Gray wasn’t much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanlegend said:

Wide players are always the most inconsistent in the team. I can’t think of a wide player (apart from the top top level, I.e. Sancho, Sterling) who isn’t inconsistent?

Please let me know who exactly this marquee signing will be? Even Zaha blows hot and cold 

Don't disagree, my point is if we plan on staying where we are, we won't with our current wingers if we plan on using a system that required them.

The reality is Gray, Barnes & Albrighton, chip in with VERY few assists & goals, Rodgers knows that and that's why he has been using Perez on the wing for most of the season. 

Spurs: Moura, Son

Liverpool: Don't even need to mention them

Chelsea: Historically speaking Hazard, Willian, Pulisic

City: Don't need mentioning

United: Rashford, Martial, Dan James

Not saying we can go out and buy those players, but teams that finish in the top 4 generally have quality on the wings. Its possible to buy good wingers, Dan James 4 goals 5 assists in 16 Premier League games in his first season. 

Gray is an impact sub & Barnes shouldn't have been pulled back from his loan. If we lose out on top 4 this season, it will be because of our wingers. I know its not Football Manager & I know January is rip off month for desperate teams so signings are not easy, but it's someone's job to have targets & I don't doubt there is a list of 10+ potential signings. The club have said in the past when signing a player if they have been watching them for a few years.

• Like 1

In context, Barnes is filling the role that ideally would’ve been filled by a summer signing - a genuine goalscoring winger. I think we all know he’s going to be a great player, but it’s too much to expect consistency of him at this stage of his career.

Finishing apart, he’s been mostly very good - excellent v Southampton - until the last two/three games when his increasingly awful finishing has started to affect his general play. He seemed terrified to be out there today.

Tough one for Brendan now. Does he rest/bench him for a while, or start him v Everton in the hope that boosts his confidence? In Brendan we trust!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Nonsense.

Not sure what school of man management you've been studying.

6 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I feel like we've been saying this for a calendar year now...

How long do we have to wait until we accept he's just a dreadful finisher?

It's a good question, I certainly think if Rodgers can't get the best out of him then it's a little worrying. But as others have said, he was such a good finisher in the Championship so I do think the belief of him doing the business with us is justified. The last few weeks have convinced me though we should try and get another winger in next month regardless. My only worry is Congerton and Rodgers are now in charge of transfers....

6 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t get how one player can look so clinical in one competition and fluff so many chances in another. 

I know theres the step up, but there’s been so many times I’ve been waiting for the net to bulge and nothing comes of it, having seen his finishing at WBA.

It's all confidence. He's had none for a while now.

All mental. He needs to overcome it sooner rather than later, though.

• Like 1

In the championship you get time and space. So he’s looks a world beater at that level. Premier league there is less space more about making space for yourself. He goes on bursting runs but his end product is shocking majority of time. Hopefully he can pick up soon I rate him and think he will do the business in seasons to come. But we are missing a quality wide Man, and have done so since Mahrez left.

• Like 1