Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Champions League 2019-20

20 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Fair enough! :D

I'm old enough to remember watching Italian football on tele in the 90s, they were the dogs bollocks back then

Different gravy back then. Would have loved to have been able to go and watch! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

how come that team spurs played were so fu cking good who the hell even are they, they had that 9 year old from chelsea in midfield an everything, think they’re my new fav team 

I'm surprised you weren't a massive RBL fan anyway tbh, they play in jazzy kits and everyone else hates them. That's pretty much all you need. 

12 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Have i misheard Fletcher say Dortmund were the last German team in a final in 96/97 season? 

Sure he said there were 2 German teams in the final 10 years ago and that was the last time we had a german team in a final. Which is obviously wrong as Chelsea beat Bayern in 2012.

I might have misheard him though, as it was Bayern v Dortmund is 2013 and they were the last German teams in a final.

Edited by Facecloth

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm surprised you weren't a massive RBL fan anyway tbh, they play in jazzy kits and everyone else hates them. That's pretty much all you need. 

i don't watch any footy that isn't prem or leeds these days tbh, since every time i hear there might be a good game on i can't work out which channel it's on and i just think cba. 

but these sound cool. their manager is like 15 as well. and their xG was boss. 

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

i don't watch any footy that isn't prem or leeds these days tbh, since every time i hear there might be a good game on i can't work out which channel it's on and i just think cba. 

but these sound cool. their manager is like 15 as well. and their xG was boss. 

If you can stomach watching a team that other people actually like you should watch some Dortmund on BT. 

Lucien Favre is not unlike Bielsa tbh, he's got no idea how to set a team up to defend and basically all ten outfield players just sprint forward like nutters every break. 

They either win games 4 something or lose them 3-4, it's never really boring. 

Oh and their new star striker was born in Leeds. 

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

That certainly wouldn't be the case. There's been loads since then.

Yeah knew it was drastically wrong but was a tad confused. 

46 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Sure he said there were 2 German teams in the final 10 years ago and that was the last time we had a german team in a final. Which is obviously wrong as Chelsea beat Bayern in 2012.

I might have misheard him though, as it was Bayern v Dortmund is 2013 and they were the last German teams in a final.

Unless he did say it wrong given we both think he said random things

30 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If you can stomach watching a team that other people actually like you should watch some Dortmund on BT. 

Lucien Favre is not unlike Bielsa tbh, he's got no idea how to set a team up to defend and basically all ten outfield players just sprint forward like nutters every break. 

Interesting you say that about Favre as the rest of his career has been reliant on defence 

27 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If he relied on defence this year he'd be getting relegated lol

Been mentioned on the podcast recently that one of the cracks in Favre’s relationship with BVB is how they differ on transfer targets. Favre’s been wanting a centre back, got given Hummels and repeatedly said they don’t need a striker. But BVB board went above his head and got in Haaland. 

Just going back to the Atleti-L’pool game, there’s some excellent analysis pieces on it. Shows how much work Atleti did tactically. Spotting that Liverpool were weak to a press in centre midfield. To ensure most attacks were utilising the wings away from Van Dijk and catching out the high full backs. Try to get L’pool crosses pass the angle of the 18 yard box - all to do with their ‘small strikeforce’ need angled crosses rather than lateral crosses from bylines etc.  

Always makes me smile with Atleti is at the core they have an ‘English’ style. 442, physical strikers. When we played them in the CL, I felt they respected us far more than any opposition over that period. Like an older brother to a younger brother. Godin was quoted at the time saying how much they watched our run-in during 15/16 and saw similarities in their title win. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

yeah i've seen a for dortmund champs league games this year, watched them the other night so i could cheer on neymar, an they were good. 

yeah they have what will definitely be the "football twitters" favourite set of attacking players with haaland, sancho and that geezer who's dad used to have a massive head and score own goals for sunderland. not having haaland though just cos he runs like will doing that dance in that bar on the inbetweeners film. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Been mentioned on the podcast recently that one of the cracks in Favre’s relationship with BVB is how they differ on transfer targets. Favre’s been wanting a centre back, got given Hummels and repeatedly said they don’t need a striker. But BVB board went above his head and got in Haaland. 

In defence of BVB's board, there was no outright obvious 9 in the squad, it was a glaring weakness and they had the opportunity to sign one of Europe's top prospects. Its not exactly gone badly. You could argue that having a focal point up front has actually helped them tighten up at the back. 

Meanwhile, they've got a bunch of defenders, including a bunch who are meant to be young and talented and he's just not getting anything out of them.

Their transfers, intelligently, look like a club looking beyond their current coach. 

Probably the one transfer they could have done without was Brandt, who has been shit. But he came with a big reputation. 

In defence of BVB's board, there was no outright obvious 9 in the squad, it was a glaring weakness and they had the opportunity to sign one of Europe's top prospects. Its not exactly gone badly. You could argue that having a focal point up front has actually helped them tighten up at the back. 

Meanwhile, they've got a bunch of defenders, including a bunch who are meant to be young and talented and he's just not getting anything out of them.

Their transfers, intelligently, look like a club looking beyond their current coach. 

Probably the one transfer they could have done without was Brandt, who has been shit. But he came with a big reputation. 

This has been the point which has been in German media. Favre has been made to look a fool and powerless. Suspect he will leave at end of the season regardless. 

****ing amazed he survived the Paderborn game tbh. 

He's been on the verge of being sacked (at least according to media speculation) for a lot of the season but in his make or break game he always delivered. Dortmund should be top of the league no doubt and I think with a better manager they would be.

40 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

He's been on the verge of being sacked (at least according to media speculation) for a lot of the season but in his make or break game he always delivered. Dortmund should be top of the league no doubt and I think with a better manager they would be.

Comfortably the best squad in the league by a mile imo. Especially now with Haaland.