Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Champions League 2019-20

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

And as a kid I always thought they'd be saying... 

GOOOOOOOALLLL-LAZIO! 

And then thinking why do they only celebrate one team scoring lol

I used to love watching Serie A every Sunday. It seemed so exotic compared to our football. 

Richardson is still the number one football presenter for me. Actually knows what he's talking about and probably no coincidence that he wasn't an ex-pro. Such a shame he has never really got a mainstream gig since. 

My memory may be deceiving me but didn't they market a range of club branded watches once? For some reason I remember wanting a Foggia one! Whatever happened to them (the club not the watches)? 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

GOOOOOOOALLLL-LAZIO! 

There's actually a great story behind that and anyone thinking 'Goal-lazio' isn't necessarily wrong. You'd think Premier Sports would be really pushing Serie A at the moment and advertising a Sunday afternoon game on Freesports. With no Sunday night NFL, there's a Sunday evening sporting slot crying out for the TV. 

What's the story behind the signature 'Golazo!' yell and why did it sound so much like 'go Lazio'?

For years I told people it was golazo - which means what an amazing goal. But then I heard Steve De Berry who'd produced the music for the show say he'd wanted it to sound like 'go Lazio' because of Paul Gascoigne presenting it and so had added a twist to the soundbite. It became the signature sound of Italian football for a generation of English fans. It also took me more than a season to realise why the show was called 'Gazzetta', and it was again because of Gazza.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/aug/12/sport.obsmagspecial8 - Interview from James Richardson. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, StanSP said:

GOOOOOOOALLLL-LAZIO! 

53 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You and everyone else. 

James Richardson was on Quickly Kevin a year or so ago and mentioned that the commentator was saying GO LAZIO and it all stemmed from an English guy doing an impression of of a South American who'd commentated on Italian football.

• Like 1

Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

James Richardson was on Quickly Kevin a year or so ago and mentioned that the commentator was saying GO LAZIO and it all stemmed from an English guy doing an impression of of a South American who'd commentated on Italian football.

The voice is literally a soundbite of Jose Altafini shouting golaco in his native Portuguese. 

Absolutely no doubt they picked it for an English language show because it sounded like Go Lazio though. 

44 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The voice is literally a soundbite of Jose Altafini shouting golaco in his native Portuguese. 

Absolutely no doubt they picked it for an English language show because it sounded like Go Lazio though. 

Crack on from 50.45 here mate, I was wrong about the impression, just reworked, but James Richardson admits it was intended to be GO LAZIO here:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5UI3AzKTKQKiNRi27BfY1K?si=oCP27Zp-T8-GnrRxbOdJkA

14 hours ago, Brizzle Fox said:

I used to love watching Serie A every Sunday. It seemed so exotic compared to our football. 

Richardson is still the number one football presenter for me. Actually knows what he's talking about and probably no coincidence that he wasn't an ex-pro. Such a shame he has never really got a mainstream gig since. 

My memory may be deceiving me but didn't they market a range of club branded watches once? For some reason I remember wanting a Foggia one! Whatever happened to them (the club not the watches)? 

https://www.vintage-shop.it/img/FOOTBALL-WATCH-FOGGIA-COLLECTION-ENDURA-SMH-SWATCH-OMEGA-TISSOT-RADO-LONGINES-p01.jpg

Is that the watch? If it is, it's truly Serie A worthy lol  The other ones are looking good as well, I like the Roma one.

I remember Foggia. Signori was a brilliant player for them.

Yes, it was very exotic and exciting for me as well. I used to laborously note down all the players names of all the Serie A teams so I could know the squads look at them and wonder who will play on the matchday lol Funny how internet changed things, all within one click now. 

Sadly Foggia went down from Serie A in the 90s, then down and even further down. They are in Serie D now but looking up as things stand.

22 hours ago, Chester Dontlie said:

https://www.vintage-shop.it/img/FOOTBALL-WATCH-FOGGIA-COLLECTION-ENDURA-SMH-SWATCH-OMEGA-TISSOT-RADO-LONGINES-p01.jpg

Is that the watch? If it is, it's truly Serie A worthy lol The other ones are looking good as well, I like the Roma one.

I remember Foggia. Signori was a brilliant player for them.

Yes, it was very exotic and exciting for me as well. I used to laborously note down all the players names of all the Serie A teams so I could know the squads look at them and wonder who will play on the matchday lol Funny how internet changed things, all within one click now. 

Sadly Foggia went down from Serie A in the 90s, then down and even further down. They are in Serie D now but looking up as things stand.

That's the one! So many memories. They'll be back in Serie A before we know it... 

• Like 1

True but i think it is only a matter of time. To get through i think they need to win the home leg comfortably and not concede. just don't see it but still hoping they do it. The longer our top 4 rivals are involved in European competition, the better for us really