Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Great songs you just don't get

21 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Apologies if this has been done before....

God Only Knows - Beach Boys. I have to play an arrangement of it occasionally at weddings etc, and it strikes me as weird, awkward and the vocal line seems counter-intuitive.

I know!  it's brilliant isn't it, Brian Wilson was a genius

• Like 4

23 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

God Only Knows - Beach Boys. I have to play an arrangement of it occasionally at weddings etc, and it strikes me as weird, awkward and the vocal line seems counter-intuitive.

Allow me to introduce you to Champagne Supernova.

2 hours ago, foxtonhin said:

Allow me to introduce you to Champagne Supernova.

I know it, of course. But the idea was that people shared their tracks as I did, rather than find fault with my idiosyncrasy. 

I'm sure people exist that don't get Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven etc... 

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 2

Bohemian Rhapsody was exactly what I thought of when seeing this thread.

A critically acclaimed song, but I always turn it off as it seems like pantomime trash to me.

Viva La Vida by Coldplay another one I never got. The most boring song off a really good album that became mega popular for some reason.

Another would be AC/DC, Motorhead style stuff - I can see they have catchy riffs and sing-a-long style lyrics, but I never really got their popularity, the song writing quality is predicatable and very unsubtle.

On a more recent note, I can't understand the hype about Billie Eilish. Didn't she go a massive stage at Glastonbury? Do people really rate her music that highly?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonthefox said:

Never really understood the fascination with the lyrics to Wonderwall TBH .

probably my least favourite oasis song....not sure there was a fascination to the lyrics though was there? Just a very easy song to sing a long to and appeal to the masses.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Sorry Im a little confused...

When you say "dont get"... Do you mean the hype around them, or the actual make up of the song?

Yeah, cos if it's the hype, this would be so much music.

The way to have mass appeal in any field of the arts, is to be generic and uncomplicated, whilst repeating popular trends.

I.E.  boring

On 25/07/2019 at 07:13, Arriba Los Zorros said:

On a more recent note, I can't understand the hype about Billie Eilish. Didn't she go a massive stage at Glastonbury? Do people really rate her music that highly?

I think her audience is very young and very female. For such a young artist, I think her stuff is alright. I like her weirdo videos.

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:17, HighPeakFox said:

Good idea for a thread even though I cannot agree with you on your choice. :)

For me it is pretty much anything by The Beatles.  I just can't quite connect with them even though I can see they are objectively a great band.  Oh, and the entire Artic Monkey's catalogue also.  X

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

Good idea for a thread even though I cannot agree with you on your choice. :)

For me it is pretty much anything by The Beatles.  I just can't quite connect with them even though I can see they are objectively a great band.  Oh, and the entire Artic Monkey's catalogue also.  X

I wasn't after agreement, I was simply expressing a bafflement, and wondered what others' were. It is amazing to see how defensive people get over a song they didn't write...

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I wasn't after agreement, I was simply expressing a bafflement, and wondered what others' were. It is amazing to see how defensive people get over a song they didn't write...

Haha I think you have taken out your bafflement at previous posters out on me here, I was just stating that I like it, not questioning your right not too.  I think the thread is a good one, I too am confused as to why it has confused people.  X

Haha I think you have taken out your bafflement at previous posters out on me here, I was just stating that I like it, not questioning your right not too.  I think the thread is a good one, I too am confused as to why it has confused people.  X

Not at all, just making conversation with someone I feel safe with.

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

Not at all, just making conversation with someone I feel safe with.

Haha, there are some odd folk online in general.  It's like if you post a well argued, good natured response to something that is about 8 partagraphs long and makes valid points and someone replies and highlights two words they disagree with and goes off on one.  I am trying to spend less and less time online as I think it is genuinely bad for my mental health.  :)

• Like 1

Haha, there are some odd folk online in general.  It's like if you post a well argued, good natured response to something that is about 8 partagraphs long and makes valid points and someone replies and highlights two words they disagree with and goes off on one.  I am trying to spend less and less time online as I think it is genuinely bad for my mental health.  :)

Agreed

Fools Gold - Stone Roses for me.  I find it tiresome and boring and I cannot discern a melody.  I like a lot of other Stone Roses songs but I always find it strange that Fools Gold seems to be held up as one of their best when it seems to be the least tuneful.  X

• Like 1