Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Great songs you just don't get

• 5 months later...
On 25/07/2019 at 13:13, Arriba Los Zorros said:

On a more recent note, I can't understand the hype about Billie Eilish. Didn't she go a massive stage at Glastonbury? Do people really rate her music that highly?

On 28/07/2019 at 18:36, spacemunky said:

I think her audience is very young and very female. For such a young artist, I think her stuff is alright. I like her weirdo videos.

I can't get my head around Eilish, either. I find it very strange for a previously relatively unknown artist to rise this much in such a short period of time without marketing support from her label.

She's now 18 and has already won five Grammys at once - for her debut album! Talking about media hype. Does she deserve the prizes and laudatios? I'd say no.

To me, it's another case of pushing women in the media for the sake of it, the Grammys don't really tell the whole story surrounding the quality of her songs or her songwriting.

The attractiveness of her songs eludes me, they mean little to me. Her tunes come across as brash and lacklustre. I'm not even sure if she can sing properly, all I hear is constant soprano whispering. The songs have something slightly suicidal, very dark or at least very depressive about them and I'm not sure how you could label her repertoire as uplifting, pretty or particularly brilliant or moving.

She's got a herd of producers supporting her with great beats and loops.

But if it's true that it's mostly young women following her, then boy do we have a problem with our female youth...

I'd also think that the whole reliance on x amounts of streams is a method with (very) skewed results. Not that it was any better, more transparent or fairer in the days of LPs or CDs, mind.

Streaming means songs resonate even more now because they may be popular (for a brief moment in time) and represent a certain short-term interest, not because they are any good.

How are the amounts of streams measured, anyway? Just by quickly tuning in or listening to the whole track?

It'll be interesting to see how she develops as the years go by. Will she continue produce "depression tunes" or evolve into someone more cheerful, more artistic? Or fade in the way Grimes has done?

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2

On 28/01/2020 at 11:39, davieG said:

I've never seen anything in David Bowie, leaves me cold and puzzled as to what all the fuss is about.

never really got into Bowie until I listened to the full albums, then it just clicked, the singles? nah, Station To Station or Diamond Dogs now you're talking

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm a massive Oasis fan but I have to admit that Wonderwall just does nothing for me at all. I'll let WTSMG play all the way through but that's my k3ast favourite song on the album by a long way for me 

And the title was nicked from a George Harrison soundtrack album for the 1968 film of the same name. 

But then it also takes a gargantuan ****wit to christen their son 'Lennon'. 

Edited by Line-X