Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
PaulW

Brendan

I have no illusions over Rodgers ambition. he has always been fairly open about it. I think the situation of his leaving Celtic was a little different however. He had realistically taken them as far as the club could go and probably felt there was no challenges left for him, whereas here there is a real project to get his teeth into.

If he can turn us into a top 6/4 challenger over the next couple of seasons then he may well feel the same here, and the job he was brought in to do will have been achieved. I think it would be at that point that he would most likely be targeted.

On the other hand if the objectives are achieved, then he may well decide that we are now "one of the big clubs" and stay put, but in that scenario I think there would be plenty of interest and offers that we could not possibly compete with in terms of earning potential

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... being at Celtic may have been something he wanted to achieve and for him was an essential part of his career. 

The only problem was that outside of the Scottish Prem. Exciting things were happening, first class coaches were at the top clubs and Celtic could not go any further than they had done. The forays into Europe only served to emphasise the gulf which existed and they lacked the finance and quality of players in order to compete. 

There was nothing else to achieve at Celtic and therefore coming to us was an opportunity which could not be missed. 

Yeah it's all relative though,the exact same logic could and would most likely apply should a Chelsea or whoever come calling at Leicester.

Like I've said I don't think Spurs would be a good move for him but if they came calling then there is a more than good chance he'd go, that's the reality.

After his wilderness years in the SPL (sorry @henrik_62 no dig intended) the Leicester job is his opportunity to prove that he take a team with potential onwards and upwards in a sustainable way. to do that he needs to stick around for a couple of seasons at least. Yes I appreciate that he left Celtic at the drop of a hat, and if one of the big boys came calling he may well do the same again but I would like to think that when he came here it was for the project and what he felt he could achieve.

On the other hand, get us going and he will certainly put himself in the shop window (along with the best players). Unless and until such time as any club can break into the elite on a long term basis, this will always be the fear.  Sometimes the grass will look greener, but as we have seen in the past, that is not necessarily the case (Drinkwater). I just hope that he, along with the exciting young squad we are putting together stick together long enough to see where we could really go.  Fair enough if we reach our ceiling and another opportunity comes along then I am sure that the majority would wish him well in whichever job he ends up in.  What really rankles is when someone leaves for a job that only they perceive as a step up (Mark McGee going to Wolves just when it looked like we were about to become a decent side comes to mind, and that didn't turn out too well for him either).

1 minute ago, urban fox said:

After his wilderness years in the SPL (sorry @henrik_62 no dig intended) the Leicester job is his opportunity to prove that he take a team with potential onwards and upwards in a sustainable way. to do that he needs to stick around for a couple of seasons at least. Yes I appreciate that he left Celtic at the drop of a hat, and if one of the big boys came calling he may well do the same again but I would like to think that when he came here it was for the project and what he felt he could achieve.

On the other hand, get us going and he will certainly put himself in the shop window (along with the best players). Unless and until such time as any club can break into the elite on a long term basis, this will always be the fear.  Sometimes the grass will look greener, but as we have seen in the past, that is not necessarily the case (Drinkwater). I just hope that he, along with the exciting young squad we are putting together stick together long enough to see where we could really go.  Fair enough if we reach our ceiling and another opportunity comes along then I am sure that the majority would wish him well in whichever job he ends up in.  What really rankles is when someone leaves for a job that only they perceive as a step up (Mark McGee going to Wolves just when it looked like we were about to become a decent side comes to mind, and that didn't turn out too well for him either).

Mark McGhee is an absolute tool of a guy.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

It's blatantly obvious he's gonna go to a big club first chance he gets (by big club I mean man city, united, Liverpool and chelsea not spurs or arsenal) and no one can pretend to be surprised or claim Judas after how we acquired him.

It's like shagging a girl who's cheating on her husband, starting a relationship with her then acting surprised when it happens to you down the line. If you want loyalty buy a dog.

Shaggy dog story?

9 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Sure, Rodgers would probably be gone if they made the call. But, let's be real, short of Spurs finishing dramatically outside the Top 6, there's no chance they sack Pochettino. And the chances of him not getting his shit together like he usually does are low imo.

Sacking him isn't my worry, it's him leaving them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think you're right but as you also point out,  why would he want to?

At Leicester he's got some bright young established in the team happy young prospects. There's also the promise of a fantastic new training facility next year. Spurs have a terrific new ground but seemingly not a happy camp with a number of players open to a move. With an ageing defence and want away players you can envisage quite a big rebuild being required very soon with a chairman who at times, has been reluctant to put his hand in his pocket. Could become a great ground with a mediocre team in the not too distant future and I would fear that the man following Pochetino would be taking on a poisoned chalice. If Rodgers left us at this juncture for Spurs, for me it would smack more of inflated ego than a realistic stepping stone to success.

Whilst if Rodgers succeeds here he will understandably be courted by bigger clubs and want to perhaps test himself elsewhere, I don't see Spurs at this moment in time as a step up from us, in fact if I was a Spurs supporter I would be slightly apprehensive regarding the direction of my club.

There is no doubt our job is a good one at the minute and it's really ideal for someone like him, but I still think if he looked at say the next five years you'd probably back Spurs to do better than us - maybe he sees it another way though.

I do think it's possible he'd go but it'd be a big gamble to take, and he really would be seen as a bit of a snake if he did, to walk out twice like that in six months.

8 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Sacking him isn't my worry, it's him leaving them.

Eh, who does he leave them for? Real is the obvious answer, but it's my suspicion that Poch realises that under the trigger happy Perez it's not a place for a project manager, which is what he is really. 

Who else is an upgrade? Sure, there's options, but none are particularly obvious - Bayern I guess. He's got a good thing going at Spurs and a couple of players pissing off isn't indicative of the wider positives he has there

33 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Eh, who does he leave them for? Real is the obvious answer, but it's my suspicion that Poch realises that under the trigger happy Perez it's not a place for a project manager, which is what he is really. 

Who else is an upgrade? Sure, there's options, but none are particularly obvious - Bayern I guess. He's got a good thing going at Spurs and a couple of players pissing off isn't indicative of the wider positives he has there

There or Manchester United might tempt him. I think he's a bit fed up of Spurs. It's all gone a bit stale there.

I do wonder if the best thing for both parties is for him to leave them. There's something not right with Spurs and hasn't been for a while.

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

There or Manchester United might tempt him. I think he's a bit fed up of Spurs. It's all gone a bit stale there.

I do wonder if the best thing for both parties is for him to leave them. There's something not right with Spurs and hasn't been for a while.

Yes and it may well be Poch. He is a bit of a media darling and can do no wrong in their eyes yet spurs constant failure to win anything, and their propensity to fade towards the ends of the season has, in some quarters been attributed to his training regimes and player burn out. Personally I think he is a quality manager, if a bit of a whinger at times (although credit for actually recognising his teams weaknesses and simply not blaming VAR on Saturday) but no smoke without fire perhaps?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think he's a bit fed up of Spurs.

Why though? Not trying to sound like a tosser, but is that just a vibe you've got? If it is fair enough, after all, I'm judging this situation on a bit of a vibe too, but also he's come really far and when he isn't baleful in his interviews, he's happy - it's just not picked up as much by the media as there's no story in "Manager is satisfied with job", but from what I've seen he's always been a hot and cold guy.

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

There's something not right with Spurs and hasn't been for a while.

Is that true? They've been cheapskating and scrounging and that meant their squad has grown stale and their 15/16 16/17 heights haven't been achieved again. But that was largely in order to get to the point where they have a new stadium. Now they're there, their cashflow and overall revenue is much boosted and since they've hooked up to one of those ridiculous multi-decade £20 million p/y repayment schemes, they don't really have a dent in their profits from the stadium. That was shown in their fairly sizeable investment this summer, plus their willingness to buy Dybala as well which would have greatly increased expenditure from what it already is.

My personal opinion is just like the media twists the public's view of us in unsavoury ways ("we're ungrateful and hold our players back from greatness"), the same is true of Spurs ("everything collapsing around their ears"). I reckon half a year from now they're in full form again and all this unease is forgotten by the media.

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

For what it's worth I reckon Poch is an absolute shoe-in for the Man Utd job when the inevitable happens to Ole.

Would suit both parties, Man Utd have had a long standing interest in him and he's the sort of manager they need at the moment, one who can build.  Tottenham in all honesty probably want rid of him as things have gone a bit stale and if Man Utd made that decision for them it would be the best possible deal for them as they wouldn't have to sack him and would get some nice compo.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

There is no doubt our job is a good one at the minute and it's really ideal for someone like him, but I still think if he looked at say the next five years you'd probably back Spurs to do better than us - maybe he sees it another way though.

I do think it's possible he'd go but it'd be a big gamble to take, and he really would be seen as a bit of a snake if he did, to walk out twice like that in six months.

But would he survive there 5 years? I fear the next incumbent has a big job on their hands. If Poch goes and Rodgers would really like to manage Spurs, it would perhaps be wise to wait one manager. He's been extremely lucky in what he has inherited here compared with what the full package is at Spurs at this particular point in time. As one Liverpool pointed out recently on here,  Rodgers may be a very good coach but the jury is still out regarding whether he can build his own team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Why though? Not trying to sound like a tosser, but is that just a vibe you've got? If it is fair enough, after all, I'm judging this situation on a bit of a vibe too, but also he's come really far and when he isn't baleful in his interviews, he's happy - it's just not picked up as much by the media as there's no story in "Manager is satisfied with job", but from what I've seen he's always been a hot and cold guy.

Is that true? They've been cheapskating and scrounging and that meant their squad has grown stale and their 15/16 16/17 heights haven't been achieved again. But that was largely in order to get to the point where they have a new stadium. Now they're there, their cashflow and overall revenue is much boosted and since they've hooked up to one of those ridiculous multi-decade £20 million p/y repayment schemes, they don't really have a dent in their profits from the stadium. That was shown in their fairly sizeable investment this summer, plus their willingness to buy Dybala as well which would have greatly increased expenditure from what it already is.

My personal opinion is just like the media twists the public's view of us in unsavoury ways ("we're ungrateful and hold our players back from greatness"), the same is true of Spurs ("everything collapsing around their ears"). I reckon half a year from now they're in full form again and all this unease is forgotten by the media.

I wouldn't say a circa £50m net spend is a fairly sizeable investment for a top 4 side, who just reached the champions league final and who had spent zero on transfer fees in the 18 months prior.  If anything it smacks of a lack of ambition to me.

Edited by henrik_62

4 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

But would he survive there 5 years? I fear the next incumbent has a big job on their hands. If Poch goes and Rodgers would really like to manage Spurs, it would perhaps be wise to wait one manager. He's been extremely lucky in what he has inherited here compared with what the full package is at Spurs at this particular point in time. As one Liverpool pointed out recently on here,  Rodgers may be a very good coach but the jury is still out regarding whether he can build his own team.

He's a fantastic coach, great at developing players but like you say his record in the transfer market, pretty much everywhere he's been is poor to say the least so I see where your coming from.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I wouldn't say a circa £50m net spend is a fairly sizeable investment for a top 4 side, who just reached the champions league final and who had spent zero on transfer fees in the 18 months prior.  If anything it smacks of a lack of ambition to me.

For them it's a lot more than usual.  And fwiw their net spend was roughly £75m, £115m if you count the rest of the fee for Lo Celso on the loan obligation (which I wouldn't, some would though).

If you consider the fact that they almost signed Dybala, it would have been well over £100m.

42 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

For what it's worth I reckon Poch is an absolute shoe-in for the Man Utd job when the inevitable happens to Ole.

Would suit both parties, Man Utd have had a long standing interest in him and he's the sort of manager they need at the moment, one who can build.  Tottenham in all honesty probably want rid of him as things have gone a bit stale and if Man Utd made that decision for them it would be the best possible deal for them as they wouldn't have to sack him and would get some nice compo.

Isn't Man Utd a downgrade for Pochettino though? He's going from a club notorious for its stingy transfer policies that don't fully back the manager... to a club notorious for its bad transfer policies that don't fully back the manager.  Not to mention United's squad is light years behind Spurs and they're probably going to lose Pogba next summer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Isn't Man Utd a downgrade for Pochettino though? He's going from a club notorious for its stingy transfer policies that don't fully back the manager... to a club notorious for its bad transfer policies that don't fully back the manager.  Not to mention United's squad is light years behind Spurs and they're probably going to lose Pogba next summer. 

Man Utd despite their current predicament and as much as I don’t like them are one of the biggest clubs in the world so it would most definitely be an upgrade. They are ten times the club Spurs are and despite how poor they’ve been Man Utd will win the league again before Spurs ever do.

He’d be properly backed in the transfer market there and having to build the club again from the ground up would suit what he does best.

Man Utd have spent over £900m in the last 7 or 8 years so I can’t see how that can be interpreted as not backing managers, it’s how they spend the money that’s the problem. If the plan is to sell Pogba and use some of that to reinvest then that’s probably one of the smartest moves they’ll have made in the transfer market in recent years.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1

He isnt going to spurs.  They dont spend enough to be top 6 and i suspect Kane will be bought by United or Real next season if poch gets canned.

If im rodgers, his best option is to try and get city in top 6 and if a big club (chelsea, manure, man city, not spurs) has an opening then he will go to them for sure.

IMHO Spurs will never be a liverpool, united, chelsea, man city type club.   Just like we wont unless Rodgers becomes our Sir Alex lol.

Least we won the league!

Edited by Jattdogg

6 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I think that Poch will leave Spurs at the right time, like Sir Alex did at United. 

The defence is ageing, there going to need some serious investment at centre half soon - the Man United and Maguire saga proving that there isn’t many options in the market either right now. They don’t have an outstanding full back in the squad either, so think they will need someone there. 

Holding midfield is another problem area, Winks is a decent player but not a holding midfielder, and Wanyama’s days are done due to injury. Alli injury prone & blowing hot/cold and Eriksen’s head elsewhere - Lo Celso and Ndombele will need to be stars for them. 

Attack isn’t an issue, unless Poch goes to, say, Man United and Kane follows, although I don’t know how likely that will be. Depends how long both have left on their contracts. 

I think Spurs are approaching a stage where they need to start to rebuild again in a couple of years, and I don’t know whether or not Poch will fancy it to be honest. He’s going to want to win things soon and rebuilding a squad he already has built up might not be his ideal job when he knows he has suitors all across Europe. 

This, and the notoriously tight Levy isn’t going to invest when he knows the manager is on his way out. They’ll wait until a new man comes in before they rebuild the ageing squad.

Can't see Brendan ever being employed by Man City. I can't decide about Manure although I'd agree that  Poch would be a good manager for them. 

I could see Chelsea looking at him if Lampard doesn't work. Arsenal, I don't think so. 

That leaves a dangerous opportunity for Spurs to possibly step in. They're my biggest fear. 

I know what people are saying about Spurs having to rebuild and I totally agree. I personally wouldn't fancy that job right now. Not with Eriksen looking elsewhere, players running down contracts etc. 

Maybe I'm  biased thinking Brendan’s on a good thing here, I don't know. But the niggling part of me knows that managers or players nearly always have full confidence in their ability and are always looking for the next step/bigger stage etc. 

We can carry on laughing at Spurs but it may just come back and bite us on the arse. 

I for one want them to sort out some of their problems but I fear it's too late for Poch. I reckon he's on the brink. 

Edited by Mickey O'Neil

On 24/09/2019 at 02:13, urban.spaceman said:

If he waits a couple of weeks they'll be trying to get him the Man Utd job too. 

In the meantime they're going to be linking Maddison, Chilwell, Ricardo, Soyuncu, Barnes, Hamza, Vardy and Filbert Fox with moves to big clubs because that's what the media does and according to them, we're the step below to that level. 

Which for me is why it's imperative that we achieve our goals this season.

Maguire will be living proof that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere; him, Mahrez and Drinkwater are also living proof that we won't be bullied into losing more than one per summer window for anything below our valuation. 

For Brendan - yeah, they're big clubs. But we have a better combination of players with the right attitude, a winning mentality, and a better spirit. 

So I can't see him leaving us for any team other than Celtic reserves. 

The media only want to talk about the percieved big 6, manly because they are in big markets and that is where their readership and sponsors are.  They will say anything about those teams at the cost of the others. We need not worry about as Trump would say, "Fake News"

Edited by Hack

23 hours ago, Yush96 said:

Liverpool fan here. My 2 cents on this is that I don't see him leaving you guys this season. He has done a tremendous job since he came in and right now despite the "allure of a big club like spurs" (which honestly they are not), I think he can see that all these clubs have been failing for a few seasons now and no matter whether he goes to Spurs or United or Chelsea, he will have a huge rebuilding task ahead of him, something he already knows how tough it is from his time at Liverpool. His strong point is in taking over teams which already have most of the players he needs, thats why he was successful at Swansea, Celtic and now with you guys after Puel basically assembled his squad for him. But when it came to a complete overhaul at Liverpool, he was a little out of depth and that showed. 

I think he will take his chance with Leicester and see how far he can take them. And if he makes it to CL with you guys then he is staying. The only scenario I see him leaving Leicester is if any of the european clubs came in for him. He has always said that he wants to coach abroad, and a club from Germany or Spain, would probably be more appealing for him. After his experience with us, I doubt he wants to see as much criticism levelled at him, and playing in those countries would be a safer option as it will be away from the english media. He will probably take over Leipzig/Dortmund/Sevilla/Valencia before he takes over at spurs. 

Also dont like this talk of Spurs being a big club when they have repeatedly failed to win the league despite having being given good chances. Leicester on the other hand can be considered a big club since you guys actually went and won a title. And another title might be far off, but I still see this squad as having the potential to break the top 4-6. This team has become my second team of sorts since the title win (I love an underdog story), and I am really hoping come next summer you guys are third. This could be your chance to do what City and Spurs did with the top 4 and I would love nothing more than to see it happen, and I think that might be on Rodgers's mind too. 

They are a big club in the eyes of the papers due to being in an affluent part of London and a big supporter base, not based on achieving anything.