Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
PaulW

Brendan

2 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

That’s a good point, the danger is with many clubs going down the director of football route nowadays it’s not a manager in the traditional sense that’s required, more of a head coach and as far as coaches go Rodgers is one of the best about.

I pointed out in the summer that say we were to make the top six, he'd be probably prime candidate for the Tottenham job as it's likely to come up soon as well.

I'd be absolutely sick if he left us this soon but I'm also under no illusions that it could happen. Would be quite a big gamble to go right now though. Depends how much he truly believes in what he said when he joined us. I mean he left Celtic a bit unexpectedly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SO1 said:

If you don't trust my integrity then so be it. Life goes on.

Some our fans might be trigger happy, but to claim Rodgers head after a narrow defeat at OT, even to the worst MU team in decades, one must really be out of their mind. So I'm genuinely curious about that. You made the claim, the burden of proof is on you.

Nice dodge though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SO1 said:

Why would you be surprised when fans and mods on this forum speculated on his job after the United loss. This place is as fickle as they come.

Spurs were excellent on Saturday and came within fractions of beating us at home. This forum would have went into meltdown with Rodgers Out calls.

Fair play to a journalist who wants to pray on those knee jerk reactions from football masterminds like us.

I just hope the ownership and others who run this club have a bit more patience and understanding and a long view to the running of a football club.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason Rodgers came here. Not a few more zeros on his paycheck. Not to go duke it out for players or become a scapegoat for businessmen like Levy. Been there done that.

Not after Liverpool and Celtic. Rodgers is too smart for that. He's not here in order to spend six months managing Chelsea or Barcelona.

I've always had a gut feeling about Rodgers that when he took a job he was all in 100%. Kind of like me. I'd give you everything I had until you Fvcked me or the job stagnated and then I left.

Probably not much difference between him and I. Except for all those zeros :)

It definitely wouldn't.

There's a bit of revisionism on here about what actually goes on. People massively over-react to a couple of outlandish posts quite frequently. That above all actually lowers the content quality on here in my eyes.

I have no idea if this Spurs thing has any legs (I doubt it).  But as I’ve noted, we should have already started succession planning the day Rodgers was hired.  He’s vapor the moment one of the big six (as he sees them) come calling.  That’s just how it is - no point in being pissy about it, no excuse not to be ready for it.

He's been around quite a while, It's time he put down Roots and created a legacy. He's been very lucky to come into a Club with a very good first team and hugh potential for the future.

When you couple that with the new Training Ground being the best in the uk and the Ground expansion. I doubt he's going anywhere.

Besides Spurs don't pay as well as we do and he has a good Contract.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

He's been around quite a while, It's time he put down Roots and created a legacy. He's been very lucky to come into a Club with a very good first team and hugh potential for the future.

When you couple that with the new Training Ground being the best in the uk and the Ground expansion. I doubt he's going anywhere.

Besides Spurs don't pay as well as we do and he has a good Contract.

I thought this but having looked Pochettino is currently on around £165k a week - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/24/mauricio-pochettino-signs-new-five-year-tottenham-contract-worth/

We are paying Brendan £100k a week on his current contract - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/26/brendan-rodgers-appointed-new-leicester-city-manager/

16 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

He doesn't leave mid season after 8 months imo 

His stock will be higher if he achieves something with us this season, he'll know that. He'll also know there could be a number of big jobs available in the summer.

This 

the idea that rodgers  walks walks out of a job like ours after less than a season is nuts. Every decent man has a reputation to protect. how could he look any player in the face and ask for loyalty if he did something like that?

With the new training ground upcoming, he will find it hard to leave next summer in any case. I think the only job he could justify leaving here for within two years would be the Chelsea job because of his history. and that would be tough to do and hold his head up. 

if the club agree to sell their best young assets against his wishes then things may change .......... after all, he hasn’t really spent anything yet ......

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I pointed out in the summer that say we were to make the top six, he'd be probably prime candidate for the Tottenham job as it's likely to come up soon as well.

I'd be absolutely sick if he left us this soon but I'm also under no illusions that it could happen. Would be quite a big gamble to go right now though. Depends how much he truly believes in what he said when he joined us. I mean he left Celtic a bit unexpectedly.

I think you're right but as you also point out,  why would he want to?

At Leicester he's got some bright young established in the team happy young prospects. There's also the promise of a fantastic new training facility next year. Spurs have a terrific new ground but seemingly not a happy camp with a number of players open to a move. With an ageing defence and want away players you can envisage quite a big rebuild being required very soon with a chairman who at times, has been reluctant to put his hand in his pocket. Could become a great ground with a mediocre team in the not too distant future and I would fear that the man following Pochetino would be taking on a poisoned chalice. If Rodgers left us at this juncture for Spurs, for me it would smack more of inflated ego than a realistic stepping stone to success.

Whilst if Rodgers succeeds here he will understandably be courted by bigger clubs and want to perhaps test himself elsewhere, I don't see Spurs at this moment in time as a step up from us, in fact if I was a Spurs supporter I would be slightly apprehensive regarding the direction of my club.

Edited by volpeazzurro

10 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yeah I get what you mean, that's the bit I found difficult when he left us in the main, all the waxing lyrical about being in his dream job, etc.  In hindsight he says far too much at times and best not getting attached to that as don't mean this with any bitterness but he's no different to any player/manager these days in that if he feels he can further his own career then he'll take the first chance to do it.  I'd be careful if I were him in jumping at the Spurs job though as I don't see him being able to take them further 3rd/4th, where they already are.

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

Yeah I get what you mean, that's the bit I found difficult when he left us in the main, all the waxing lyrical about being in his dream job, etc.  In hindsight he says far too much at times and best not getting attached to that as don't mean this with any bitterness but he's no different to any player/manager these days in that if he feels he can further his own career then he'll take the first chance to do it.  I'd be careful if I were him in jumping at the Spurs job though as I don't see him being able to take them further 3rd/4th, where they already are.

In fairness taking any team past 3rd is incredibly difficult as long as the two behemoths at the top are still managed by Klopp and Pep. With their dominance, we're basically the Scottish Premiership Mk. 2 these days!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

In fairness taking any team past 3rd is incredibly difficult as long as the two behemoths at the top are still managed by Klopp and Pep. With their dominance, we're basically the Scottish Premiership Mk. 2 these days!

Yeah definitely, but I think a club like Chelsea would be a more attractive proposition to him (his emotional attachment to them aside) as they are somewhat in transition with the transfer ban, relying on younger players and their ability to perhaps spend the money to properly challenge the top two clubs.  Spurs look to have hit their ceiling and won't spend the money to A: sign new players and B: keep their top players to allow them to push on to that next level.

4 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Yeah definitely, but I think a club like Chelsea would be a more attractive proposition to him (his emotional attachment to them aside) as they are somewhat in transition with the transfer ban, relying on younger players and their ability to perhaps spend the money to properly challenge the top two clubs.  Spurs look to have hit their ceiling and won't spend the money to A: sign new players and B: keep their top players to allow them to push on to that next level.

I think with the new Stadium's income plus several new sponsorships to sign, Spurs will continue to judiciously buy top quality like Ndombele in the seasons to come. Ironically, they've taken over Arsenal's mantle as "installments fc" to pay back their debt and although that's obviously a drain on their income, in reality it's actually already being paid for and more by the new stadium. 

I won't argue about keeping their top players, however. I'm honestly really impressed they've managed it so well thus far.

9 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I think with the new Stadium's income plus several new sponsorships to sign, Spurs will continue to judiciously buy top quality like Ndombele in the seasons to come. Ironically, they've taken over Arsenal's mantle as "installments fc" to pay back their debt and although that's obviously a drain on their income, in reality it's actually already being paid for and more by the new stadium. 

I won't argue about keeping their top players, however. I'm honestly really impressed they've managed it so well thus far.

I don't know if you can look at the NDombele purchase and view that as a signal of intent, they hadn't signed anyone in around 18 months when they signed him and they had to spend some money to appease the fans.  If they were serious they would have gone out and signed the 2-3 other players they really need to challenge the top 2.  They never done that and dragged out the whole summer trying to get Lo Celso on loan.

I can see paying for the new stadium being a further drain to the point it will make them as conservative as they have been in the transfer market the last couple of years for a while yet.  That will cause a problem when it comes the time they have to replace ageing/outgoing cornerstones of their side such as Vertonghen, Alderwereild, Eriksen, Rose, Lloris etc.

Spurs have hit a ceiling for me and wouldn't be surprised if they dropped off a bit in the next few years and had to rebuild.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 2

It's a bit of a catch-22 for us. If we do succeed at getting into the Top-6, that means one of the usual suspects will miss out. At which point they are likely to look to change manager and Rodgers obviously has the type of profile of someone they would look at. 

I personally can't see Rodgers going back to Liverpool and I don't think he would move to Spurs or Arsenal right now. I think Lampard will be given at least a season and a half at Chelsea unless he nosedives disastrously. OGS and United is a mild concern but that will likely happen too soon into his stint with us. I'd like to think Rodgers will do two full seasons or so with us and then reassess how we have progressed.

Spurs play in London, in a shiny new stadium.  They've been in the Champions League 4 seasons running, and just went to the final.  We can laugh at their empty trophy case all we want - they're still bigger than us and they have more money, and to a self-promoter like BR that's all that matters.

It sucks, but the truth is that the so-called big six all have allure - and money - that we don't.  It doesn't matter that they might be struggling this season, any of those teams is still going to win most of the time when they come sniffing around for players or managers from a club like ours.  In ten years, who knows - but for now, that's just how it is.  But the other side of it is that Rodgers may need to have a small run of sustained success here before those clubs get seriously interested.  The big six sides don't give a toss about their managers being British - they'll sign whoever they think the splashiest guy is.  And there are European coaches with better resumes than Rodgers who those clubs will probably go after first.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

... being at Celtic may have been something he wanted to achieve and for him was an essential part of his career. 

The only problem was that outside of the Scottish Prem. Exciting things were happening, first class coaches were at the top clubs and Celtic could not go any further than they had done. The forays into Europe only served to emphasise the gulf which existed and they lacked the finance and quality of players in order to compete. 

There was nothing else to achieve at Celtic and therefore coming to us was an opportunity which could not be missed.