Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

47 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

You'll be fine over in Perth then.

I really hope Boris gets a majoity, purely for the meltdown on herelol

I'm not much of a fan of Boris but the reaction he incites in some people is sensational. The histrionics on here were glorious when he was confirmed as leader. I've got a couple of friends that are far too into despising him than is healthy so the reaction is going to be glorious on the 13th if it happens.

And as if by magic, I've just seen we've got a document linked that claims referring to Africa as "that country" is racist or xenophobic. Now it's pretty ****ing moronic but racist and xenophobic? Jesus wept. 

24 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

C4 is an educated platform that gives proper time to the news and political debate. Because it does this it ends up in left wing positions.  The UK has one of the most extreme forms of capitalism on the planet, to our detriment, and honest scrutiny of facts causes one to recognise the right has lost the plot.

Can't wait for the brexiteers to lose their jobs and brexiteer pensioners lose the value of their pensions. 

They're mainly either old (so not working) or poorly educated (So working at the mercy of the markets). If there is an economic crisis at the end of 2020 (when transition ends) the cuts need to come from pensions. They voted for it, they can pay this time. 

We're all in this together my friend, so we'll all be going down togetherlollol

14 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

13 isn't what he hoped for but it's not the disaster it'll be made out to be. You can't underestimate the difficulty for a smaller party to make gains under FPTP. We are a Tory facing party and with Labour collapsing and the Tories doing well we would always struggle. All these defections in seats we would never hold are a double-edged sword. What looks good in the short term will make these election results appear worse than they are. Any increase in seats over 2017 is progress.

The Lib Dems were talking about gaining loads of seats a few weeks ago, now you're saying 13 seats isn't a disaster! Swinson was openly saying she would be the next PM at the start of the campaignlol

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

You'll be fine over in Perth then.

I really hope Boris gets a majority, purely for the meltdown on herelol

Partly true of course. However I still have stranded assets in the UK and who knows, I might want to come back before popping off. Might even be able to get a season ticket for my favourite football team.

5 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Can anybody confirm, deny, or further speculate as to if Hamza is Toddy? I've read back bits of this thread and it's mostly verbatim Toddy.

I'm pretty certain it's the old Moose/Frank to Be rather than Toddy - just whack him on ignore.

10 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Best way to sort Brexit is to cancel the project. Once out of the EU the UK will be in an appallingly weak position in its negotiations for FTAs with all the major trading parties, particularly the EU and US. Years or decades of misery, with economic and political decline to follow. Good luck.

You are welcome to your opinion, but it is only that.  In my opinion the EU is doomed, and we will be much better placed outside of it.

7 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Can anybody confirm, deny, or further speculate as to if Hamza is Toddy? I've read back bits of this thread and it's mostly verbatim Toddy.

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

He's 100% a past member or someone with another account on here, not sure who though, I don't pay enough attention to know.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I'm pretty certain it's the old Moose/Frank to Be rather than Toddy - just whack him on ignore.

When Matt said Hamza could be Moose, I thought he was right.

Moose's last guise after FTB was Rogstanley I think, and he was a nasty piece of work.

Hamza's style is much more like Toddy's was so I think that's a better shout from Kopfkino.

Toddy still posts in the football section and reps anything left wing on this thread, but stopped posting on here about the same time Hamza started :whistle:

9 hours ago, lgfualol said:

What a ****ing chickenshit. Good luck negotiating deals post Brexit with this coward leading the country if he is too scared to do an interview even with the BBC who will probably take it easy on him.

Andrew Neil has never taken it easy on anyone, ever.  The issue isn't Boris dodging it (although he should do it) it is the fact that Corbyn was apparently assured all the leaders would face the same.  That is unfair.  Mind you any semblance of fairness seems to have gone out of the window.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HappyHamza said:

C4 is an educated platform that gives proper time to the news and political debate. Because it does this it ends up in left wing positions.  The UK has one of the most extreme forms of capitalism on the planet, to our detriment, and honest scrutiny of facts causes one to recognise the right has lost the plot.

Can't wait for the brexiteers to lose their jobs and brexiteer pensioners lose the value of their pensions. 

They're mainly either old (so not working) or poorly educated (So working at the mercy of the markets). If there is an economic crisis at the end of 2020 (when transition ends) the cuts need to come from pensions. They voted for it, they can pay this time. 

My god you are still coming out with this shit?  At least I know I am Tory through and through, you seem to think you have some kind of independent view.  Hilarious.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Someone really does need to ask him the question of whether he believes Israel has a right to exist.

8 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Of course he doesn't.  Nasty man.

It looks as if he was asked this question by the audience at a Jewish community hustings during the 2016 leadership campaign.

Reported in the Times of Israel: https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-first-corbyn-says-israel-has-a-right-to-exist-under-1948-agreement/

"In his first such comments, Corbyn said that he supports Israel’s right to exist, based on Israel’s “original border,” a reference that presumably meant without Israeli control over the West Bank, East Jerusalem, the Golan Heights and Gaza. “Yes,” he said in response to an audience question, “Israel has the right to exist. I support the right of the State of Israel to exist, under the agreement of the original borders of 1948.”

Also from Times of Israel article....

"Asked by a Jewish News reporter at the Wednesday debate what he most admired about Israel and its achievements, Corbyn expressed rare praise, saying, “I admire the verve and spirit of the towns and cities in Israel. I admire the separation of legal and political powers in the system of democratic government that’s there.

Plenty of scope for justifiably criticising Corbyn for not criticising some Hamas/Hezbollah actions & beliefs, for taking a black-and-white view of Israel/Palestine & for his party not dealing firmly enough with members who express anti-semitism, without resorting to misinformation & mud-slinging. Though both Labour & the SNP have deselected general election candidates in Scotland for just that, leaving them each without a candidate in Kirkcaldy & Falkirk, respectively:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/28/snp-suspends-neale-hanvey-election-candidate-over-alleged-antisemitism

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/28/scottish-labour-drops-falkirk-candidate-safia-ali-antisemitism-claims

(Plus Chris Williamson & the bloke in East Anglia.....anticipating the inevitable "Yeah, but that's Scottish Labour!" retort :rolleyes:)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Nick Ferrari asking Boris how many children he has 

Whilst I’m not sure that this is a valid question I’m not convinced that he actually knows the answer 

I'd suggest there's a fair number of blokes that don't.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

How can you be 100% sure?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/parenting/one-in-50-british-fathers-unknowingly-raise-another-mans-child/

"Up to two per cent of UK fathers may be the victims of paternity fraud after being tricked into raising another man's biological child, according to new DNA research. While the figure may seem scarily high, [...] researchers expected the rate to be almost five times higher". :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/parenting/one-in-50-british-fathers-unknowingly-raise-another-mans-child/

"Up to two per cent of UK fathers may be the victims of paternity fraud after being tricked into raising another man's biological child, according to new DNA research. While the figure may seem scarily high, [...] researchers expected the rate to be almost five times higher". :ph34r:

Bloody women :ph34r:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Davie "Wild Oats" G? :whistle:

Nah! Not me I must have walked blindfolded through the so called 60's sexual revolution never met any 'liberated' women.lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

It looks as if he was asked this question by the audience at a Jewish community hustings during the 2016 leadership campaign.

Reported in the Times of Israel: https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-first-corbyn-says-israel-has-a-right-to-exist-under-1948-agreement/

"In his first such comments, Corbyn said that he supports Israel’s right to exist, based on Israel’s “original border,” a reference that presumably meant without Israeli control over the West Bank, East Jerusalem, the Golan Heights and Gaza. “Yes,” he said in response to an audience question, “Israel has the right to exist. I support the right of the State of Israel to exist, under the agreement of the original borders of 1948.”

Also from Times of Israel article....

"Asked by a Jewish News reporter at the Wednesday debate what he most admired about Israel and its achievements, Corbyn expressed rare praise, saying, “I admire the verve and spirit of the towns and cities in Israel. I admire the separation of legal and political powers in the system of democratic government that’s there.

Plenty of scope for justifiably criticising Corbyn for not criticising some Hamas/Hezbollah actions & beliefs, for taking a black-and-white view of Israel/Palestine & for his party not dealing firmly enough with members who express anti-semitism, without resorting to misinformation & mud-slinging. Though both Labour & the SNP have deselected general election candidates in Scotland for just that, leaving them each without a candidate in Kirkcaldy & Falkirk, respectively:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/28/snp-suspends-neale-hanvey-election-candidate-over-alleged-antisemitism

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/28/scottish-labour-drops-falkirk-candidate-safia-ali-antisemitism-claims

(Plus Chris Williamson & the bloke in East Anglia.....anticipating the inevitable "Yeah, but that's Scottish Labour!" retort :rolleyes:)

I think both in Scotland will still stand for SNP and Labour as it happened after the cut of point, but both parties have refused to back them.

Just now, Facecloth said:

I think both in Scotland will still stand for SNP and Labour as it happened after the cut of point, but both parties have refused to back them.

Yes, you're right. Once the candidate registration deadline has passed, a candidacy presented cannot be withdrawn under any circumstances, I think?

Just publicly disowned, in effect.

There are practical reasons, apart from anything else - printing of ballot papers & other docs, I suppose.

Presumably the system would be open to manipulation, too, if candidates could be withdrawn: e.g. tactical withdrawals as jiggerypokery to help other candidates.

I think this even applies if someone dies after they've been registered as a candidate. I'm sure that I read of candidates who had died being elected!