Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

Anyone else receive a letter from Andrew Bridgen?

Apparently they are going to get Brexit done...after over 3 years of not getting it done - but what about all the years of trade negotiations? They want better hospitals but what about when you sold off nhs blood plasma? Abolishing bursaries and reducing funds?  They want safer streets - what about you cutting over 20,000 police, cutting youth services and pcso's...They want improved schools...but even with the promised funds 80% of schools will have less money per pupil than 2015.....Seems like they want to get us back to where we were (at best) since the Tories made all the cuts...and they want a biscuit for doing it.:D  No doubt it was labours fault though.:D

Not that it'll make any difference, Bridgen is a shoo-in.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

In the first few days of the campaign, he was out and about meeting the public. But, after a few negative interactions, for the last fortnight he mainly seems to have been at organised events in workplaces etc., where folk aren't likely to ask awkward questions or express negative views in front of management. But maybe I've missed coverage of him meeting the public in uncontrolled settings.

I didn't see the Corbyn interview but have seen him appear peevish, prissy & self-righteous on previous occasions. While I'm sure he's helped lots of people, I don't buy the idea that he's a nice man & see him as narcissistic & self-righteous.

Likewise for Boris, in different ways. His problem is more that Neil won't allow him to bluster or escape into sidetracks & entertaining, distracting flights of rhetoric. With poorer interviewers, he gets away with this. Neil is surgical & retains control.

Indeed it will be a test, but we have also seen Boris just say things very clearly and worry about the consequences afterwards - he is clever at knowing when he can give ground to save face without boxing himself in too much.  Still I fully expect and hope Neil hold him to account - the NHS and schools both need the funding he is promising, and obvs the NHS is not "for sale" whatever that actually means.

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Stepping away from the personality politics for a moment...

if im a 35 year old (avg age) living in Leicester and earning 30,000 pa (avg income).

Who should i vote for and why

You would only answer that question if you were voting purely on economics. 

I never have and never would.

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

So not a shred of evidence we are flogging the NHS to Trump then? Just talking about the price of certain pharma.

Of course the sale of something is going to be talked about during trade negotiation.

They are getting desperate now (and pretty angry) judging by this.

Edited by MattP

1 minute ago, EnderbyFox said:

What a shock lol

I mean... why wouldn't you film them all, get them in the can before you show them because it's a complete farce if they all do one and Johnson doesn't. That being said, he could spit in everyone's face and still get a working majority looking at the numbers, so why would he put himself through it?

2 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

What a shock lol

If he pulls a fast one here it's the most shameless piece of political cowardness since Hillary Clinton in 2016 when she wouldn't face her own supporters after losing.

Just do it Boris, surely the earlier the better as well?

Just now, Footballwipe said:

I mean... why wouldn't you film them all, get them in the can before you show them because it's a complete farce if they all do one and Johnson doesn't. That being said, he could spit in everyone's face and still get a working majority looking at the numbers, so why would he put himself through it?

I'd imagine he's trying to find a good date.

Even more so after Corbyn managed to book himself in a few hours after the chief Rabbi had butchered him.

Without meaning to go full tin-hat conspiracy theory, I am sick to death of maisntream media outlets continuing to peddle the character of 'Boris'. 

I get that it's just a little bit of light relief in the midst of the brown and smelly storm, but it's so tiresome and only benefits those who still think he is this lovable rogue character. He wouldn't have even made it this far were it not for the careful manipulation of the character too.

The man in the background is doing a very good impression of my work laugh too. 

• Like 1

https://news.sky.com/story/general-election-record-number-of-people-apply-to-register-to-vote-on-deadline-day-11871433

"Almost 660,000 people registered to vote on Tuesday - breaking the record for the most amount of applications in a single day. The huge surge in registrations came on the final day that applications were being accepted

The previous record was in 2017, when 622,398 registered in a single day ahead of that year's election. Overall, since the day that MPs voted to hold an election, some 3.85 million applications have been submitted. 

However, it is thought that about a million of those who have registered since the election was called were already on the electoral register.

Of the total number of applications submitted overall, 37% were people aged under 25, and 30% aged 25 to 34".

3 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

https://news.sky.com/story/general-election-record-number-of-people-apply-to-register-to-vote-on-deadline-day-11871433

"Almost 660,000 people registered to vote on Tuesday - breaking the record for the most amount of applications in a single day. The huge surge in registrations came on the final day that applications were being accepted

The previous record was in 2017, when 622,398 registered in a single day ahead of that year's election. Overall, since the day that MPs voted to hold an election, some 3.85 million applications have been submitted. 

However, it is thought that about a million of those who have registered since the election was called were already on the electoral register.

Of the total number of applications submitted overall, 37% were people aged under 25, and 30% aged 25 to 34".

I’ve had to register because I moved to different district makes me one in a million.

:whistle::D

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Doesn't look like anything is "up for sale" in those sentences, just some bits about buying US drugs (instead of European ones presumably), and then a sentence that says a no deal exit would be bad (which we all pretty much know anyway). 

Is there anything else? 

26 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Without meaning to go full tin-hat conspiracy theory, I am sick to death of maisntream media outlets continuing to peddle the character of 'Boris'. 

I get that it's just a little bit of light relief in the midst of the brown and smelly storm, but it's so tiresome and only benefits those who still think he is this lovable rogue character. He wouldn't have even made it this far were it not for the careful manipulation of the character too.

The man in the background is doing a very good impression of my work laugh too. 

You have pretty much written here what Peter Hitchins has in the past quite a few times.

He calls him "Alexander Johnson" in the same way he always referred to Blair as "Anthony Charles Lynton" instead of Tony.

There is a serious point behind it, I don't think he'd get away with half the stuff he does if it was his Christian name instead of "Boris"

Edited by MattP

23 minutes ago, MattP said:

You have pretty much written here what Peter Hitchins has in the past quite a few times.

He calls him "Alexander Johnson" in the same way he always referred to Blair as "Anthony Charles Lynton" instead of Tony.

There is a serious point behind it, I don't think he'd get away with half the stuff he does if it was his Christian name instead of "Boris"

It's just tiresome for those who can see through the facade. It would be equally frustrating were 'Corbo' (or Bernie, probably not a great nickname for a politician who follows Leicester City) able to baffle his way of situations by talking about jam or some other nonsense. 

I've seen a few people say over time that HIGNFY gave Boris the platform to progress and I think there's certainly some truth there. As much as I enjoy the programme, though it's been a while since I watched an episode, they certainly added fuel to that particular fire. 

As you mention, Blair was the same in carefully adapting a persona and it happens outside of politics too. Just exhausting that some of the press continue to feed the beast. 

Totally agree on him not getting away with half the nonsense if he were Alex(ander).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Doesn't look like anything is "up for sale" in those sentences, just some bits about buying US drugs (instead of European ones presumably), and then a sentence that says a no deal exit would be bad (which we all pretty much know anyway). 

Is there anything else? 

They havn't found it yet, so I suggest not.  Desperate nonsense peddling to the Labour fans.  I doubt it changed many opinions.

I on the other hand was amused by Boris being asked by NHS nurses if he has a magic nurses tree as well as his magic money tree :)

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

3 millionish again @Alf Bentley

Sorry to have missed it. Always entertaining to watch a master butcher at work. :D

I hope to catch Neil slicing up Johnson, providing he doesn't chicken out.

I hope he doesn't as I see it as contempt for the democratic process when politicians do that. It's as if football teams were able to just refuse to turn up for any difficult fixtures and still pick up a point.

Obviously, I don't want the Tories to win anyway. But, purely for the sake of democracy, if he does swerve it, I hope that it harms their ratings. Didn't do May much good when she sent Rudd as a substitute in 2017.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

They havn't found it yet, so I suggest not.  Desperate nonsense peddling to the Labour fans.  I doubt it changed many opinions.

I on the other hand was amused by Boris being asked by NHS nurses if he has a magic nurses tree as well as his magic money tree :)

If the files actually say that then I'm all ears but I don't think they do at all. 

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Not selling the NHS then?  I should also point out that the UK is also a major player in Pharma, and their might be correspoding benefits for our economy where Patent extensions to be agreed.

Radio 5 this evening pretty much stating this word for word (please podcast from around 4-4.30pm to hear):

1) The US Officials are being deliberately ambitious, pushing all the relevant boundaries with their demands.

2) Our own civil servants involved, highlighted this was likely not achievable, but also a number of areas likely to be US red lines. Plenty to work on.

3) Whoever (and they said this), is in power as the UK Government, could concede ground and agree to a number of things, or not. 

4) The US did this fairly recently with the trade deal with Canada and indeed Canada pushed a fair chunk of it back, to I quote "middle ground".

So in conclusion, this is a document from 12 months ago, relevant to T May as PM, the Civil Servants involved indicated not achievable and NOTHING has been agreed or finalised.

Its basically the opening salvo by the US on a future trade agreement. Yes the subject areas will be haggled over, yes its related to the NHS, but its just a wish list.  For example certain contractual agreements are for 10 years in length (normal), this documents shows the US wanting 12 (not normal).  This is the sort of thing Canada pushed back on.

Labour are getting desperate and this is just lies to say its a done deal and the yanks are buying up the NHS.  Most are, pardon the pun, sick of this NHS used as a political football, from both side I might add.

Finally can I just remind everyone LABOUR PRIVATISED THE NHS with PFI's (Costing the NHS about 2% a year to pay off and increasing).