Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

13 hours ago, HappyHamza said:

C4 is an educated platform that gives proper time to the news and political debate. Because it does this it ends up in left wing positions.  The UK has one of the most extreme forms of capitalism on the planet, to our detriment, and honest scrutiny of facts causes one to recognise the right has lost the plot.

Can't wait for the brexiteers to lose their jobs and brexiteer pensioners lose the value of their pensions. 

They're mainly either old (so not working) or poorly educated (So working at the mercy of the markets). If there is an economic crisis at the end of 2020 (when transition ends) the cuts need to come from pensions. They voted for it, they can pay this time. 

I went a bit far with the bit in italics tbf. 

I do genuinally think that pensioners need to feel the same economic pain as everybody else if brexit goes badly though. I realise many won't agree but they are currently insulated from many of their own decisions.

Tbh I'm feeling like real world problems are being ignored in favour of a fictional brexit reality. 

The NHS for example - here in Leicestershire we are the only county in for a very long way with only one A&E. It's the busiest A&E in europe. Ambulances spend literally the bulk of their time parked outside A&E for 3/4/5+ hours at a time waiting for space for the patients they carry.  

Where is the Tory response to this? More nurses isnt going to made any difference.  Where is the capital funding? We know the 20 hospitals is a lie.

Even with nurses we know the 50,000 nurses is a lie. We know that their removal of the nurse bursaries exacerbated recruitment problems. We know that brexit has caused a huge drop off in recruitment and nurses actively leaving the country. 

Yet voters continue to vote for a party that don't even pretend to have any answers.  I just find it depressing.

And I'm not moose or toddy or anybody else, just for the record, not sure why I keep getting accused of being somebody else. 

38 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

Anyone seen the clip of Boris on LBC this morning gesturing to Nick Ferrari to change the topic, not realising he's being filmed.

The man is an actual dunce, how Eton keep churning out these floppy morons is beyond me.

Fake news.

So is Johnson indirectly admitting today that any form of Brexit will be economically damaging, and we will borrow to invest and keep those struggling industries on life support? How does this work with his commitment to get a trade deal with the EU in 12 months? And how can conservatives support this?

On 26/11/2019 at 13:49, MattP said:

With arguments like that you'll be sure to win hearts and minds to change it.

I'm not sure any diplomatic offensive could convince 20,000 coffin dodgers not to vote for whatever piece of sh*t happens to be wearing a blue rosette.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

But why was Boris doing it?

because he can also hear it ??

11 minutes ago, bovril said:

So is Johnson indirectly admitting today that any form of Brexit will be economically damaging, and we will borrow to invest and keep those struggling industries on life support? How does this work with his commitment to get a trade deal with the EU in 12 months? And how can conservatives support this?

does anyone think that it wont be economically damaging for a period ?? question has always been how long that period lasts for and given the mess of the past couple years, the economy may already have suffered a fair amount of the damage thats coming in the event of us actually leaving.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

because he can also hear it ??

does anyone think that it wont be economically damaging for a period ?? question has always been how long that period lasts for and given the mess of the past couple years, the economy may already have suffered a fair amount of the damage thats coming in the event of us actually leaving.

I’d actually expect a temporary economic boom of some sort as the uncertainty is to some extent lifted. The damage is likely to accrue in the medium and long term, particularly when (all right if) Johnson can’t agree an FTA with the EU before the end of next year. Markets and businesses won’t want to be threatened with no-deal again. I’m assuming here that the Tories have a working majority and implement the currently agreed WA.

Complicating matters is that an extension has to be agreed (as I understand) by the end of June, and Johnson has painted himself into a corner saying that he will definitely not extend.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

4 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I’d actually expect a temporary economic boom of some sort as the uncertainty is to some extent lifted. The damage is likely to accrue in the medium and long term, particularly when (all right if) Johnson can’t agree an FTA with the EU before the end of next year. Markets and businesses won’t want to be threatened with no-deal again. I’m assuming here that the Tories have a working majority and implement the currently agreed WA.

Complicating matters is that an extension has to be agreed (as I understand) by the end of June, and Johnson has painted himself into a corner saying that he will definitely not extend.

If he has a decent majority then Johnson is free to move the goalposts ..... his party’s problem over the past few years is a lack of a working majority ...... he is not minded to leave without a deal and he believes the eu will give ground to get a trade deal done and dusted to avoid a no deal outcome ....... again 

I'm astounded at the appalling strategists at both labour and liberal hq. All NHS. Even the public aren't  that daft.

Attack lines on Boris that would reasonate with public

1. His two articles, pro and anti Brexit, written for the telegraph ....Brexit is a career move for Boris. He's a shyster who will say and do anything for power; lie to the queen etc

2. His lack of marital values; affairs; unknown amount of kids. Such morals would appall the average daily mail reader.

3. 'Briton Trump' - even Tories dislike Trump. Association with that fool is toxic.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The media are bound to corner jezza on the shooting of the terrorist yesterday .... will he stay loyal to his beliefs or will he do what his advisors tell him to ??????

To be fair his position has always been that if possible terrorists should be fought and put through the courts, in line with international law. 

I'm sure he would repeat the same again but the fact that the attacker still posed a risk to both the police and the members of the public who had tackled him would mean that the use of force was justified. 

That seems sensible to me and I'd hope that's what Corbyns position would be based on what he's said in the past. 

Never quite know with Corbyn though so will be interesting to see.

3 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

To be fair his position has always been that if possible terrorists should be fought and put through the courts, in line with international law. 

I'm sure he would repeat the same again but the fact that the attacker still posed a risk to both the police and the members of the public who had tackled him would mean that the use of force was justified. 

That seems sensible to me and I'd hope that's what Corbyns position would be based on what he's said in the past. 

Never quite know with Corbyn though so will be interesting to see.

Yes, but it's the way he gets his message across, rather than the message itself which is perplexing.

He should just say "the police thought he had a suicide vest, and so to keep the public and themselves safe, they shot him", but I don't think he will.

If he squirms on the topic, it won't go down well.

5 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Yes, but it's the way he gets his message across, rather than the message itself which is perplexing.

He should just say "the police thought he had a suicide vest, and so to keep the public and themselves safe, they shot him", but I don't think he will.

If he squirms on the topic, it won't go down well.

I don't like Corbyn much myself, although he's better than Boris imo.

But let's be honest it's another stick that people (especially the media) have used to beat him with despite it being a sensible position to take.

14 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

I don't like Corbyn much myself, although he's better than Boris imo.

But let's be honest it's another stick that people (especially the media) have used to beat him with despite it being a sensible position to take.

May be true, but it would be entirely self inflicted. What he needs to say is obvious and clear, I just don't know whether he will.

3 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

A corporation of bottlers through cowardice agree to interview a bottler through cynicism?

I hope that Andrew Marr's professional pride has been hurt by the apparent Tory belief that he's a soft option compared to Neil.

He's not as brutally/surgically effective an interviewer as Neil, but he's also capable of being pretty good. He needs to be on his game for this.

If Johnson is allowed to use the terrorist attack to "look prime-ministerial" and then to avoid questions, distract with other issues, entertain with rhetoric & charmingly quaint phrases.....it will be a democratic scandal that will seriously damage the reputation of both the BBC and our democracy.

Marr needs to be ready to repeatedly intervene when he starts his diversionary rhetoric, to pin him down to answering questions, not least about his avoidance of the Neil interview.

Alternatively, as someone else suggested, maybe the BBC should have Andrew Neil walk into Marr's studio to conduct the interview?

The statement does say that Johnson will be "interviewed on Andrew Marr's programme", not "interviewed by Marr"? 

Nah! I'm sure the BBC aren't brave enough to stand up to a governing party that looks set to stay in power....

Our democracy & public scrutiny are being downgraded - and this could just be the start, if Johnson ends up with a majority to use and abuse for 5 years.

18 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Genuine question to the conservatives in this thread. Do you think successive Tory governments have done a good job running the country in the last 9 or so years?

And if so what particular changes or policy have you been especially pleased with?

It has been okay Brexit has sent them mad like everyone.

They're better than the alternative and the reason they're likely to win is because the alternative is a bunch of loons. Normally it would be a change in government because the opposition would be credible.