Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

“The Parliament's Brexit spokesman, Guy Verhofstadt, said it was "sad to see a country leaving that has twice given its blood to liberate Europe".

We are leaving the European Union, not Europe you donut. 

It was a nice speech as well from him for once, I think sometimes stuff can get lost in translation but I think people like him generally don't differentiate between Europe and the EU which is a bit weird.

He did say one thing today that made me sit up, something along the lines of if he could veto Brexit he would advise it - many of us know that Guy and thats one of the reasons why we are so keen to leave.

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

“The Parliament's Brexit spokesman, Guy Verhofstadt, said it was "sad to see a country leaving that has twice given its blood to liberate Europe".

We are leaving the European Union, not Europe you donut. 

I'm no fan of the guy with the parting but I don't really see how he conflates the two in this quote. 

Also I think it is rather naive of Brexiters to defend themselves from accusations of attacking Europeans and Europe by always saying "we love Europe, but hate the EU". Of course the two things are different, and Euro-scepticism is a legitimate position, but we have press and politicians in the UK that have for many years spoken about European migrants as unskilled, leeching off the state, "queue jumpers" etc. And described MEPs as corrupt, fascist, anti-democratic. Likened the EU to the USSR. Some people in Europe do take this quite personally, rightly or wrongly. Brexit has unleashed a lot of feeling on both sides of the channel. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bovril said:

Also I think it is rather naive of Brexiters to defend themselves from accusations of attacking Europeans and Europe by always saying "we love Europe, but hate the EU". Of course the two things are different, and Euro-scepticism is a legitimate position, but we have press and politicians in the UK that have for many years spoken about European migrants as unskilled, leeching off the state, "queue jumpers" etc. And described MEPs as corrupt, fascist, anti-democratic. Likened the EU to the USSR. Some people in Europe do take this quite personally, rightly or wrongly. Brexit has unleashed a lot of feeling on both sides of the channel. 

personally i’m just noting the difference between the EU and Europe.

We won’t be the only European country that’s not in the EU.

1 hour ago, MPH said:

We're the only one that has little idea of what our relationship with the Single Market will be in 11 months time.

• Like 1

Another Momentum approved Labour candidate making a complete tool of themselves.

Select committees are allocated to parties.

How can you be elected to parliament and not have learnt this in 6 weeks?

On 27 January 2020 at 13:25, Sionnach gorm said:

Europe is clearly in trouble over Brexit.  Few in Britain are able to see that.  Europe need to keep Britain close for reasons that are obvious; economics, defence.   Right now there are two thoughts in Europe; be hard with Britain, so as to discourage others from considering it.  The other is not to be hard on Britain so as not to alienate it, hurt the European economy and possibly push it towards a more “Atlantic” solution.  

The issue of travel, trade, will most likely be taken in a lighter approach by Europe, as it does with non-European member countries like Switzerland.  It will, in due time, be Included in EFTA (European Free Trade Agreement).  

Your second sentence is a bit presumptious and infers majority of Brits are thick? Where is your evidence to support this comment? And here maybe more than two thoughts? 

7 hours ago, MPH said:

I'd be interested in hearing what the differences are in this case, then. As well as an opinion on people in the UK that clearly don't differentiate between the two in terms of their contempt.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

I'd be interested in hearing what the differences are in this case, then. As well as an opinion on people in the UK that clearly don't differentiate between the two in terms of their contempt.

oh come on, you’re not stupid. don’t act dumb.

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

oh come on, you’re not stupid. don’t act dumb.

I know I'm not, which is why I have my own viewpoint on the matter - that there are nations that are geographically part of Europe but not part of the EU (but as the UK is the first nation to be in this particular situation there are rather a lot of unknowns out there).

I am however at this time more interested in other peoples takes on the differences and how it affects the working relationship between the UK and EU henceforth. Without those, the sentiment that "We are leaving the European Union, not Europe" is a little hollow, especially as there are those on both sides of the debate that really don't seem to differentiate between the EU and Europe as a whole, as bovril above explained.

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I know I'm not, which is why I have my own viewpoint on the matter - that there are nations that are geographically part of Europe but not part of the EU (but as the UK is the first nation to be in this particular situation there are rather a lot of unknowns out there).

I am however at this time more interested in other peoples takes on the differences and how it affects the working relationship between the UK and EU henceforth. Without those, the sentiment that "We are leaving the European Union, not Europe" is a little hollow, especially as there are those on both sides of the debate that really don't seem to differentiate between the EU and Europe as a whole, as bovril above explained.

Surely it’s best to ask the people that cannot differentiate, than those that clearly can. Also I imagine that those people in what ever number they exist, (surely it’s too low to even be worth discussing) do exist on both sides of the argument.

I remember very soon after the referendum result a remain supporter/voter (also a noncy Man U fan from Leicester) said.......”well done then you twats, non of us will be able to play in Europe now. So enjoy the champions League, if it even goes ahead because it’ll be your last”. Or something very similar to that.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Surely it’s best to ask the people that cannot differentiate, than those that clearly can. Also I imagine that those people in what ever number they exist, (surely it’s too low to even be worth discussing) do exist on both sides of the argument.

I remember very soon after the referendum result a remain supporter/voter (also a noncy Man U fan from Leicester) said.......”well done then you twats, non of us will be able to play in Europe now. So enjoy the champions League, if it even goes ahead because it’ll be your last”. Or something very similar to that.

I agree, so this question is open to anyone really.

I'm honestly interested in people's specific takes on the similarities and differences between the EU and Europe as a bloc and how it affected their views on the UK leaving the EU, if at all.

12 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I agree, so this question is open to anyone really.

I'm honestly interested in people's specific takes on the similarities and differences between the EU and Europe as a bloc and how it affected their views on the UK leaving the EU, if at all.

Europe is a physical place, that has multiple cultures and languages, the EU is a political machine designed to control without consent.

Edited by Strokes

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Europe is a physical place, that has multiple cultures and languages, the EU is a political machine designed to control without consent.

...as opposed to the control without consent from so many other political areas? Two wrongs not making a right, of course (and my own viewpoints on such power, control and the role of the nation state in it are abundantly clear).

It's interesting to hear the viewpoints though.

18 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...as opposed to the control without consent from so many other political areas? Two wrongs not making a right, of course (and my own viewpoints on such power, control and the role of the nation state in it are abundantly clear).

It's interesting to hear the viewpoints though.

What?

Are we bringing in other political areas now or still discussing what people see as the difference between the EU and Europe?

11 hours ago, MattP said:

Another Momentum approved Labour candidate making a complete tool of themselves.

Select committees are allocated to parties.

How can you be elected to parliament and not have learnt this in 6 weeks?

Of course she knows how it works but preening and posturing to her crowd on social media is far more important than being a decent, respectable politician. 

You see PM on AN last night, or when you see Blair or Brown or Johnson or even Ed Balls and you can be impressed by them, now ****ing Kier Starmer is the great white hope. How the mighty fall. 

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

What?

Are we bringing in other political areas now or still discussing what people see as the difference between the EU and Europe?

Guarantee we get to something to do with the environment and fundamentalists in the US. Its vitally to important to consider it when thinking about the distinction between the EU and Europe

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Your second sentence is a bit presumptious and infers majority of Brits are thick? Where is your evidence to support this comment? And here maybe more than two thoughts? 

Not at all.  I merely have to read posts here and in other publications regarding this matter.  Not thick, natural pessimists though.

Just a quick one lads, but if you're expecting the whole country to get behind this brave new world we're a little over 24 hours away from entering, it's probably best to ditch folks like him as cheerleaders. If not, don't get all whingey when you find you're still living somewhere as divided as it has been since 2016.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Just a quick one lads, but if you're expecting the whole country to get behind this brave new world we're a little over 24 hours away from entering, it's probably best to ditch folks like him as cheerleaders. If not, don't get all whingey when you find you're still living somewhere as divided as it has been since 2016.

You know he's out of a job in a day and his brexit party has exactly zero MP's right? Hard to ditch a person more than that I feel. 

Also, if you want unity, probably best to ditch the embarrassing half and half scarves. Unity works both ways eh. :thumbup: