Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

It was inevitable that we would get to this point, we had 3 years of bitching and incompetence from the UK side and mild insouciance and schadenfreude from the EU.

Hopefully now a bit of progress can be made, although there's no chance it'll be done by the end of 2020. I still think it'll be bad for both the UK and Europe but sick of the insults on both sides. 

I can see this going down exceptionally well with some posters..... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/14/eu-brexit-transition-period-boris-johnson 

"EU looks at extending Brexit transition period beyond 2020

EU leaders would take the initiative and request an extension to the transition period, keeping the UK under Brussels regulations beyond 2020, under a plan mooted for getting around Boris Johnson’s stated refusal to seek a delay.

The European commission’s president said that negotiating a future relationship in such a short timeframe would be very challenging.Speaking on Friday, at the end of a leaders’ summit in Brussels, she said the negotiations would instead have to prioritise key EU issues, such as the trade in goods and fisheries, and leave others for after 2020. Such a “sequencing” could leave arrangements for the UK’s financial services sector and the landing rights of British air carriers, among other issues, out of an initial deal. Such a staged approach would be unwelcome in Downing Street and would, in itself, be difficult to complete given the clashes expected on both the UK’s future alignment with EU laws and the level of access to British waters given to European fishing fleets.

The withdrawal agreement stipulates that the transition can be extended by “one or two years” but that this must be agreed before 1 July next year. It is recognised in Brussels that Johnson will find it politically impossible to seek an extension to the transition to allow all the issues to be agreed.On breaking his word by asking for a delay, Johnson would have to open negotiations on how much extra the UK would pay into the EU budget. Free movement of people would also continue.

Instead, it is understood initial discussions have taken place in Brussels about the EU asking the British government for an extension, given the complexity of the talks. It is likely that the EU would also need to sweeten the offer of an extension by minimising the costs that the UK would face.Sources suggested that such a move might offer Johnson a better chance of gaining cabinet approval, and avoid a cliff-edge exit from the EU’s structures on 31 December 2020, including the imposition of tariffs.The development highlights the difficulties facing the negotiators as they prepare for talks. The Dutch prime minister, Mark Rutte, said on Friday that he believed the negotiations in the next year would be far tougher than those over the withdrawal agreement".

31 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

What a rollercoaster of a ride it has been to finally get to the point where we will be leaving the EU and hallelujah to that.

Never bought into the mantra that the EU want to punish us to prevent further absconders, why would they need to when the EU is such a wonderful club?

A large majority was needed for Boris and thankfully achieved and will be crucial in obtaining a good deal, one which keeps a good relationship with the EU but gives us a level of self regulation for our own trade deals also control with immigration, fishing, law and money.

We need to be tough with our negotiations , the EU are aware of the make up now of the Tories that there will be no blocking or fcukaboutery tactics anymore.

I am probably in the minority on here but  I have real optimism that a decent deal will be done by the end of 2020. 

Hear hear. 

Getting Brexit done will make Nicola Sturgeon even more desperate for Scottish independence. With Boris already having ruled out Inderef2, what will happen? Some of the possible scenarios are quite alarming, especially when one considers what has happened elsewhere, e.g. in Northern Ireland, Catalonia, and Rhodesia. 

23 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Getting Brexit done will make Nicola Sturgeon even more desperate for Scottish independence. With Boris already having ruled out Inderef2, what will happen? Some of the possible scenarios are quite alarming, especially when one considers what has happened elsewhere, e.g. in Northern Ireland, Catalonia, and Rhodesia. 

If I was Boris, I'd tell them they can have a referendum when polling consistently shows a majority for leaving for a year. Job done. You've promised them they can have one, and it would give us time to "get brexit done" (or further along). Simply saying "lol no" will not work imo. 

29 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Should just give it to them imo. Boris is too fragile to risk being the PM who is on watch when the union breaks but there's no reason not to let them decide.

Prediction: Boris will sign a deal with the EU which is a lot closer in trading terms for goods than anyone expects.  Not free movement but a lot of alignment.

Will everything be done in a year? No.  Will everyone like it? No again.  He’ll do it anyway because it’ll be the right thing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Prediction: Boris will sign a deal with the EU which is a lot closer in trading terms for goods than anyone expects.  Not free movement but a lot of alignment.

Will everything be done in a year? No.  Will everyone like it? No again.  He’ll do it anyway because it’ll be the right thing.

Sounds like BRINO to me.

Edited by ealingfox

54 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Should just give it to them imo. Boris is too fragile to risk being the PM who is on watch when the union breaks but there's no reason not to let them decide.

Why should he just give in to them? Nicola Sturgeon herself said, this is a once in a lifetime vote.

I cannot stand this global phenomenon of anti democracy, whereby people vote on something and if they don’t like the result they protest and demand a revote.

A lot of entitlement and people who believe their voice is more important than that of others.

Sorry Nicola, you’ve had your vote, now kindly move on.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Because since that vote there's been a huge change in Scotland's constitutional position which it showed very clearly that it didn't want. It has then effectively been completely sidelined in what happens next. It's only right that its people should get a say in whether they prefer to be part of the UK or the EU, it's not for England to drag Scotland somewhere it doesn't want to be.

I'll admit I'm not much of a unionist in its present form and I'd happily play fast and loose with the union. I'd be surprised if independence won, who could watch Brexit and think I want to do that all over again but about 10x worse, and it would genuinely settle the question for a long time. Plus I see a potential upside for parts of England and Wales to work with Scotland to change the UK's constitutional settlement and get away from the awful centralisation in Westminster, that opportunity was squandered last time.

:appl:

Sums a lot of my feelings up on the subject. Plenty of opportunity to prosper either way.

25 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

RIP the UK then, personally think losing the UK is a big mistake and don't see throughout history many nations becoming more prosperous by dividing into small states.

It depends on the individual state.

I think Hong Komg or Macau would be much more prosperous if they didn't still have to drain economically into China.

Think many of the Eastern block countries have massively benefited from not having their economy siphoned off towards Russia.

Czech Republic and Slovakia are also both much more prosperous since their split.

The argument I suppose is whether Scotland's North sea oil allows it to feel it would be the same.

At the moment, certainly to a lot of people in non-London England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland it feels like they work hard, pay their taxes and contribute to society but they never see any tangible benefit or investment to paying these taxes, because it feels like all their taxes just go to building infrastructure and skyscrapers in London which mean nothing to your average worker in Birmingham, Swansea or Glasgow. And London just feels like another world to the rest of the UK.

Edited by Sampson