Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

17 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

DARPA, Strokesy. DARPA.

Tim Berners-Lee just added the spit and polish that we see today. :D

Stop using our spit then lol

In all seriousness, we had imports from Europe before we joined the common market, it seems weird that people jump on a leaver using or consuming  anything that’s from the EU.

17 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Stop using our spit then lol

In all seriousness, we had imports from Europe before we joined the common market, it seems weird that people jump on a leaver using or consuming  anything that’s from the EU.

I think it comes a lot down to the idea that a fair few Brexiteers viewpoints were that they voted to be through with Europe and everything it stands for (products included) and so continuing to consume those products is hypocritical. Personally, I think that idea can be dismissed as a strawman - but only most of the time.

As per the recent discussion, so many people have different ideas about what the EU means in terms of how it represents Europe and its relationship with the UK, which is probably a big reason this path that has been taken has resulted in so much acrimony - and sadly will likely result in more in the future.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Both are ridiculous 

Exactly.

I try and imagine it's like us football fans who get passionate about the game.

To these people it must be the same comparison. I however find it very very hard to collate the two but each to their own I suppose.as long as I still get 3-4 meals a day and a soapy tit w@nk off the Mrs on my birthday I ain't fussed!!!

Edited by Raj

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Can't believe people were crying and having candlelit vigils either

Post Diana we live in a world where we have to show our emotions and how we feel so deeply when something massive happens. we have to be seen to be emotional otherwise we fear we will be called uncaring, or not bothered.

• Like 2

I think celebrations and vigils were slightly ridiculous considering we are still basically in the EU. But the fact that so many people are so bored and blase' about it now is stranger to me than people who are passionate one way or the other, and more worrying. 

28 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Post Diana we live in a world where we have to show our emotions and how we feel so deeply when something massive happens. we have to be seen to be emotional otherwise we fear we will be called uncaring, or not bothered.

True, although Diana's death didn't effect anyone's lives. Brexit does. 

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

Agreed, though maybe fewer imports than we realise. As a kid (late 60s?), I can remember my Dad coming back from a channel crossing with fruit yoghurts, which seemed exotic as they weren't widely available in the UK.

We could soon be returning to a diet of spam, mashed swede and jam sponge & custard! :whistle:

More seriously, this article is worth a read (might need to register for 4 free articles per month): https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/11/how-britain-was-sold

It highlights how surprisingly self-sufficient the UK became between 1945 and the 1980s - in everything from food via energy to manufacturing. It argues the case for this being a period of "national capitalism" after Britain had been globally-oriented in the pre-WW2 days of empire - and before it internationalised again under Thatcher and subsequent govts.....leaving us with much more of our industry foreign-owned than in other developed countries, the City oriented to international finance, not national investment & much greater dependence on foreign food imports. Ironically, Brexit could be seen as a national revolt against the neo-liberal global capitalism begun by Thatcher & continued by Blair & the rest.

I've even bought the history book by the geezer who wrote that article, though I've not got round to reading it yet (about £10-£12 on Amazon, not £30 as stated in review - I'm not that keen!)

Here's a review for anyone interested: https://reviews.history.ac.uk/review/2307

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

To be honest, aside from the 5% of hysterical leavers and 5% of hysterical remainers, who are both as embarrassing as each other, I don't think the majority have an emotional attachment to Brexit. I'm a young remainer, I wanted to keep free movement, the opportunity to live and work in Europe at the drop of a hat, I like the idea of being part of a power bloc with France and Germany. However the majority don't and Brexit had to happen.

It's now up to the leavers to own it now, as everything points to us being worse off. No more blaming the EU, no more blaming remoaners. It's your Brexit. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think celebrations and vigils were slightly ridiculous considering we are still basically in the EU. But the fact that so many people are so bored and blase' about it now is stranger to me than people who are passionate one way or the other, and more worrying. 

Some people might be "bored and blase", as you suggest. Others might just be fatalistic, knowing that there's little they can do to influence whatever happens next. I'd put myself in that category.

Like you, I'm pessimistic about where this all leads (though none of us can be 100% certain). But nothing much will change until the end of the year. I'm assuming that bad stuff will start to happen after that, but that could happen gradually or to varying degrees - and there's very little people like us can do about that, except keep an eye on what's happening and react to whatever does happen.

Certainly, the whole "get Brexit done" thing is total bollocks. Fair enough if people want to celebrate or mourn yesterday as an important formal landmark, but most of the real action ain't happened yet....Brexit has only just begun.

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Some people might be "bored and blase", as you suggest. Others might just be fatalistic, knowing that there's little they can do to influence whatever happens next. I'd put myself in that category.

I think some people take certain things for granted. You're right we don't know what will happen 100%, but we can reasonably guess how non-alignment with the EU will impact some areas. Some people don't want to think about it. Brits have a tendency to avoid things - keep calm and carry on and all that.

Also, without getting too tinfoil-hatty, I think the government has a certain interest in people getting bored of Brexit and the negotiations.

28 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I do wonder, when there's little everyday perceptible difference to most ordinary people, will Remainers consider that a win because well what was the point or a loss because the doomsaying won't have come true in many minds? 

As a remainer I am not that bothered about wins, I want as little disruption as possible. A little bit of 'I told you so' is infinitely preferable.

Also I am a long way from being a hashtag proud European and those people do my head in anyway. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bovril said:

As a remainer I am not that bothered about wins, I want as little disruption as possible. A little bit of 'I told you so' is infinitely preferable.

Also I am a long way from being a hashtag proud European and those people do my head in anyway. 

Win or lose was just lazy prhasing, more just how does it get viewed. Is it a well it was all just unnecessary and pointless or do they reflect that they went a bit overboard with it or do they double down on counterfactual and technicals to make the point there is a difference even if most people can't really notice. 

Likewise I wonder what the reaction will be when the EU embarks on its next wave of ever closer union in the next couple of years. As long as the difference is in counterfactual rather than perceived reality, it'll be hard to argue that Brexit was a bad choice at that moment.