Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

3 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

The democratic decision to Leave/Remain was indeed passed onto the people. That's why, despite not liking the outcome, I felt that it had to be implemented - unless another democratic decision somehow reversed it (didn't happen).

But the referendum didn't decide when or how we should leave. The "how" was left to our govt to decide & negotiate and our parliament to approve/disapprove. Likewise, the "when" (approval/timing of Article 50 notification).

It would have been ridiculous if the referendum had somehow automatically triggered Article 50, as the govt wouldn't have been ready for the 2-year clock to start ticking.

It would also have been ridiculous to have called a referendum to allow "our sovereign, democratic parliament to take back control from unelected Brussels bureaucrats" - and then prevented parliament from having a say over how/when it was done!

But most Brexiteers were up in arms about "our sovereign parliament" having a say & then lambasted the courts as "traitors" for upholding our democratic system. Utterly shameful!

Pleased to hear that you disagreed with prorogation. I always knew you were one of the cuddlier Brexiteers. I'd come round and give you a cuddle if I didn't have so much on. :D

As for Boris not citing his anti-democratic reasons for prorogation, as Mandy Rice-Davies said: "He would say that, wouldn't he?" (In passing, I enjoyed that "Trial of Christine Keeler" series - only partly because they'd employed a couple of suitably fruity actresses to play Keeler & Rice-Davies). 

Don't you see the difference between:

- Trying to prevent parliamentary debate & legal rulings on democracy, then trying to suspend parliament (anti-democratic abuse); and

- Trying to campaign & lobby democratic representatives to have a democratic vote put up for reconsideration by a 2nd referendum?

I can understand you disagreeing with the "People's Vote" campaign - indeed, I disagreed with it myself until the latter stages - but it was a democratic campaign, unlike the attempts to shut down parliament & courts....

Anyway, water under the bridge as they all failed anyway, democratic/undemocratic & Remainer/Brexiteer alike........and democracy prevailed in the form of that stupid election & the stupid outcome it produced. :dry:

I take important issues like democracy and Brexit seriously.....but only up to a point. After all, each of us has all the impact of a grain of sand on a beach - and we all have to get on with real life & personal issues, whatever decisions are taken.

If you thought that I was irate about your comment ("you seem to have taken it all so serious"), you're mistaken. I just enjoy arguing the toss as I'm an argumentative tosser! 

Anyway, I'll have to be on here a bit less in coming days. After a quiet week, I've just got an urgent job to do for tomorrow, plus a large 2-week job to be done within 15 days.

Must be the Brexit boom.....everything's coming up roses! ;)

I didn’t think you were irate Alf, I just felt you and others took the comment more serious than its original intent. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mabrah said:

Alf's been able to reclaim his British sense of humour.

I'm mainly looking forward to buying @Jon the Hat's 50-bed Surrey mansion at a 30% discount after the post-Brexit crash in house prices.

He won't mind as he's jilting good old Blighty, anyway, and has money to burn (presumably why he's emigrating to live in a bush fire). :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm mainly looking forward to buying @Jon the Hat's 50-bed Surrey mansion at a 30% discount after the post-Brexit crash in house prices.

He won't mind as he's jilting good old Blighty, anyway, and has money to burn (presumably why he's emigrating to live in a bush fire). :ph34r:

Hah I wish.  It's 5 and West Sussex these days, still trying to sell the blooding thing for what we paid 4 years ago.  House prices are in fact slightly on the up, with deman rising now people know what is happening.

30 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Hah I wish.  It's 5 and West Sussex these days, still trying to sell the blooding thing for what we paid 4 years ago.  House prices are in fact slightly on the up, with deman rising now people know what is happening.

I thought you already had a buyer.....though I know it's wise to make no assumptions until completion. Hopefully there should be plenty of buyers wanting to get on with things as we move into spring, before any uncertainty kicks in over Brexit and/or the economy in the autumn. Hope you get it sold soon so as to get the Aussie move sorted.

Ironically, I'm one of the people who might benefit individually if there's a bad Brexit outcome that causes a slump in house prices. I'll probably be looking to buy a 1 or 2-bed flat within a year.....Shan't be needing 5 rooms, though, and couldn't afford most places in West Sussex. :D

6 hours ago, MattP said:

One more day until we queue for flights we shouldnt even be getting on due to climate change.

(Stolen from Jarvis Dupont)

It already takes ages to go through all the queues to get on a plane!

If the comment is related to 23.00 on 31st Jan, I am puzzled (forgetting the climate change bit which is a different argument). The transition period until 31.12.20 effectively means nothing changes.

1 hour ago, oxford blue said:

It already takes ages to go through all the queues to get on a plane!

If the comment is related to 23.00 on 31st Jan, I am puzzled (forgetting the climate change bit which is a different argument). The transition period until 31.12.20 effectively means nothing changes.

Jarvis Dupont is a parody account from the same people who do Titania McGrath.  He ain't real. 

So, the great day arrives...

The more fanatical Brexiteers will be wetting their Union Flag Y fronts in anticipation. But like someone passing through the event horizon of a large black hole, nothing much will change immediately, though there is no way to get back and the end is certain destruction. Outside observers will see you frozen in time and gradually fading away.

Haha no, not really like that. Actually no one, neither remainers nor Brexiteers really know how this will turn out. Who knows, perhaps by some miracle it will all work out to Britain’s advantage, I for one certainly hope so. The only thing for certain at this point is that it is a huge and dangerous experiment, gambling the future prosperity of the nation.

I don’t think even the staunchest remainer would claim that the EU is perfect, far from it. But in my opinion it would have been better to stay and campaign for change.

Anyway I wish you all a happy Brexit day and good luck for the future.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I’m dressing up as Winston Churchill, assembling a flagpole on my lawn and spending the afternoon watching ‘Carry On’ films before going to ‘Independence Day’ celebrations at my local pub.

So proud today.

Wow that sounds like an awesome day, got room for one more? :D

Happy brexit day everyone. :jump:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I’m dressing up as Winston Churchill, assembling a flagpole on my lawn and spending the afternoon watching ‘Carry On’ films before going to ‘Independence Day’ celebrations at my local pub.

So proud today.

Lucky you, I have to go too work today. Hopefully the mood down the pub still good when I get down.

Looking forward to it, drinks with friends and then a bit of a gathering later for the address and the countdown.

I do agree with Baker here, despite some of the more fanatical remainers deserving it, celebrations should be discreet and we should think about those people who are extremely worried about the next chapter in British history.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Happy Independence Day everyone, should become a public holiday from next year :trumpet::punk::banana::englandsmile4wf:

? We aren't "independent" from anything. Still part of the continent aren't we.

Other countries literally have Independence day from us because we went around owning and killing everyone.

However, I'm all for a public holiday but only when it includes Nigel Farage fvcking off forever.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

? We aren't "independent" from anything. Still part of the continent aren't we.

Other countries literally have Independence day from us because we went around owning and killing everyone.

However, I'm all for a public holiday but only when it includes Nigel Farage fvcking off forever.

Every country is part of a continent. Today marks the day where it is agreed that our laws rule supreme on our shores (following a small period of transition). Political independence.

You might not be a fan of it but it’s independence.

4 hours ago, MattP said:

Looking forward to it, drinks with friends and then a bit of a gathering later for the address and the countdown.

I do agree with Baker here, despite some of the more fanatical remainers deserving it, celebrations should be discreet and we should think about those people who are extremely worried about the next chapter in British history.

...shame almost no one agrees with him in the replies, though.

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

Every country is part of a continent. Today marks the day where it is agreed that our laws rule supreme on our shores (following a small period of transition). Political independence.

You might not be a fan of it but it’s independence.

Tbf I'm not really bothered man. What has happened has happened, that's it.

I just don't agree with the independance shite and Nigel Farage being all over the news. He's a moron.

As a Country there's bigger things to be done but you see some bloke trying to raise money so that Big Ben can chime. Jesus. Same people probably wouldn't donate to a fund for more important social matters.

Edited by Fox92