Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Intensive driving lessons

Double lessons are the way forward if you're gonna go for a normal instructor, the single hour ones are a bit pointless as half of it is driving to and from your house. Obviously depends how busy the instructor is but they'll often be able to do multiple lessons a week so it won't take too long to get the hours in and everything learnt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went down the route of an intensive course, and for me it was a much better way of doing it. Bear in mind however it is pretty much down to the individual on whether they are suited to you. You are in a car mostly all day, and you have to be able to maintain focus for that period of time. You also have to be able shrug off .mistakes and not them them bother you, as you get no recovery time between lessons

14 hours ago, Nalis said:

I'm in a similar boat but prob wont have to drive for another year at least so its reassuring to know the above.

I actually put P plates on for the first few weeks, just so people would be a bit gentler on me. I noticed a massive difference when I finally decided to take them off haha.

I was absolutely terrified to begin with, once I got out there and realised I wasn't going to cause a 20 car pile up I was fine :D

• Like 2

20 hours ago, filbertway said:

I passed 10 years ago, then went straight to uni.

November I got my first car and basically had to re-learn how to drive again.

I spent a week driving on local industrial estates in the evening to just used to the mechanics of driving, without the pressure of traffic around me. 

As that became more natural I'd go out late at night on the roads when there would be minimal traffic.

A week later I picked somewhere to drive to around 10-15 miles away, so I was actually driving somewhere with a purpose. That helped massively. A month or two later I'm just getting ready to tackle motorways :D 

Lots of good advice here.  It’s a long time since I learned but for his 16th birthday we bought our son a set of driving lessons that took place on private land which meant that when he was ready to hit the road he already had really good control of the car.  He only needed about half the number of formal lessons as his sister once he turned 17.

The tip about insurance is useful too.  We are on both of our kids insurance as named (not main) drivers which seems to cut it down by 20-30%.  Don’t be fooled by the cost as a learner though, it jumps up enormously when you pass your test.

Finally, plan to take your test in your own car, you will be much more confident that way but there are things you need to get such as a mirror for the examiner.

• Thanks 1

I did an intensive course 30 years ago.

It was supposed to be 2 drivers and one instructor, one hour driving one hour sitting in the back watching.  There wasnt a second person so I did it on my own.  4 hours solid driving with a tea break in the middle.

Did a week and passed on the friday.  I'd recommend it.  You dont spend the 1st 20 mins of each hour trying to remember what you did last time.  If you are already "road savvy" (I'm a cyclist) it was quite straightforward. I knew more about the side roads off Winstanley Drive and Catherine Street than I ever wanted to.

• Like 1

If you do your test in a diesel you’ll be sound as a pound - biggest thing for me when I learnt to drive was clutch control and biting point. Does come with practise in a petrol but in a diesel it almost gives you about 4 second chances to get the bite 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Manini said:

If you do your test in a diesel you’ll be sound as a pound - biggest thing for me when I learnt to drive was clutch control and biting point. Does come with practise in a petrol but in a diesel it almost gives you about 4 second chances to get the bite 

Yeah I've already discovered that. Petrol is a nightmare to find the bite

• Like 1

The only issue with doing the intensive courses is that you don't have as much time to process things. Sometimes you need to sleep on it and come back the next day to tackle that issue you had last week. I don't think i'd bother personally. You can usually find deals where the first five lessons are half price or whatever. Ask around. I did it with YTA and i think it was something like that. 

If you've driven a motorcyle/scooter on the road already then the intensive course likely be fine as you will have an idea of the clutch and rules of the road. But I think it could be quite difficult for a brand new driver who needs to learn the general rules of the road alongside the control of the car. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Followed some of the advice on here and purchased my very first car. Pick it up tomorrow, can't wait to get going! 

well done mate! Having bought my first car last year I can tell you it’s certainly a life saver!!!

Volkswagen are a good make for a first car imo

You won’t be on the whims of mum and dad you can be independent.

• Thanks 1

On 10/01/2020 at 13:31, foxfanazer said:

At the tender age of 30 I'm finally learning to drive. I've always put it off one lame reason or another but I feel like it's time to get it done. 

Having looked at the expense of learning I've decided that and intensive course or 'crash course' (terrible name) as its more commonly known is probably my best option. 

Does anybody have any experience of these or any pearls of wisdom? 

Thanks in advance

I've advised people for years to book the test then the lessons in that order, I had 4 one hour lessons a day for 5 days and by the end of this I was a pretty proficient driver- there was no time to forget what I'd learnt, this method (which as a guitarist I and many others use to learn difficult pieces) locks in the information, practice- repetition

I passed first time and put it down to the intensive training.... And of course luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Realjimbo said:

I've advised people for years to book the test then the lessons in that order, I had 4 one hour lessons a day for 5 days and by the end of this I was a pretty proficient driver- there was no time to forget what I'd learnt, this method (which as a guitarist I and many others use to learn difficult pieces) locks in the information, practice- repetition

I passed first time and put it down to the intensive training.... And of course luck!

That's really helpful thank you. Did my first bit of driving in my own car today. The biting point is basically non existent compared to the diesel I've been driving lol

So desperate to nail it this year 

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

That's really helpful thank you. Did my first bit of driving in my own car today. The biting point is basically non existent compared to the diesel I've been driving lol

Oh God.. Biting point! I'd forgotten about that 😅 but just like learning a new riff, your body not your mind takes over with practice (it's called muscle memory) and it gets to be easy peasy- in 3 months time you'll be amazed that you ever struggled at all.. Good luck buddy, when I passed my instructor mumbled "another maniac on the road" 🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 16/01/2020 at 15:50, foxfanazer said:

Honestly mate you'll definitely get it sussed pretty soon, once you get used to the car you'll soon just be able to pull away without even thinking about it. I've gotta say that was the bit that I hated the most, coming up to a roundabout on one of my 1st few lessons was so daunting cause I didn't want to stall it and end up being stuck in the middle of the roundabout lol but then after an hour or 2 of more driving later it was fine.

• Thanks 1