Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Intensive driving lessons

At the tender age of 30 I'm finally learning to drive. I've always put it off one lame reason or another but I feel like it's time to get it done. 

Having looked at the expense of learning I've decided that and intensive course or 'crash course' (terrible name) as its more commonly known is probably my best option. 

Does anybody have any experience of these or any pearls of wisdom? 

Thanks in advance

No tip for them, but learning in general I found the best thing I ever did was buy a car before my test and get out on the Road WITHOUT the backup of the driving instructor. It was that which gave me the confidence in the test. 

I literally got pulled over on my first trip out without them by the police. I'd forgotten to turn my lights on (I'd turned them on, but then turned them off again as I waited for the mrs to get in the car). :D

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

No tip for them, but learning in general I found the best thing I ever did was buy a car before my test and get out on the Road WITHOUT the backup of the driving instructor. It was that which gave me the confidence in the test. 

I literally got pulled over on my first trip out without them by the police. I'd forgotten to turn my lights on (I'd turned them on, but then turned them off again as I waited for the mrs to get in the car). :D

Cheers for that. I'm guessing you need learner insurance for that? 

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Cheers for that. I'm guessing you need learner insurance for that? 

When I filled it out, I think it just gives the option of whether your driving license is full or provisional. Wasn't a special type of insurance. Only cost £400 once I put the mrs on it as well, that seemed to bring it down in price. 

Just now, Babylon said:

When I filled it out, I think it just gives the option of whether your driving license is full or provisional. Wasn't a special type of insurance. Only cost £400 once I put the mrs on it as well, that seemed to bring it down in price. 

I was 35, so obviously being old helps with the price as well. 

• Thanks 1

What Babs says, either get yourself a car or get on your partner, family or friends insurance who won't mind going out with you at least a few times a week. It's incredibly daunting at first but as you go out more and more you start losing the nerves and everything becomes natural.

I suppose this is the equivalent of intensive lessons. Never had them myself, but when learning, I was out almost every night so was driving 10-20 hours a week

You'll want someone who makes sure you keep up good habits though, if you start developing bad habits like not checking all your mirrors and blind spots correctly then you'll be in for a bad time when it comes to the test haha.

• Thanks 1

Just now, filbertway said:

It's incredibly daunting at first but as you go out more and more you start losing the nerves and everything becomes natural.

I suppose this is the equivalent of intensive lessons. Never had them myself, but when learning, I was out almost every night so was driving 10-20 hours a week

Yeah spot on... once or twice a week was never enough for me. I found I was so focused on what I was doing in the car, gears, clutch etc I wasn't taking in everything on the road. Going out all the time meant my focus stopped being in the car and started being what's going on in front of me, as it started to become more natural. 

• Like 3

Just now, Babylon said:

Yeah spot on... once or twice a week was never enough for me. I found I was so focused on what I was doing in the car, gears, clutch etc I wasn't taking in everything on the road. Going out all the time meant my focus stopped being in the car and started being what's going on in front of me, as it started to become more natural. 

Yeah I don't feel like a lesson a week would be beneficial at all

I passed 10 years ago, then went straight to uni.

November I got my first car and basically had to re-learn how to drive again.

I spent a week driving on local industrial estates in the evening to just used to the mechanics of driving, without the pressure of traffic around me. 

As that became more natural I'd go out late at night on the roads when there would be minimal traffic.

A week later I picked somewhere to drive to around 10-15 miles away, so I was actually driving somewhere with a purpose. That helped massively. A month or two later I'm just getting ready to tackle motorways :D 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

You done no driving at all before?

I have been out with the girlfriend a few times (including today) just don't secluded roads. I feel like I'm the sort of person that will pick it up but it's tye expense more than anything that I find daunting

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

I have been out with the girlfriend a few times (including today) just don't secluded roads. I feel like I'm the sort of person that will pick it up but it's tye expense more than anything that I find daunting

Just keep doing that, could be an Asda car park. But the more you're in the car before you start paying, the quicker and cheaper it will be.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I spent a week driving on local industrial estates in the evening to just used to the mechanics of driving, without the pressure of traffic around me. 

As that became more natural I'd go out late at night on the roads when there would be minimal traffic.

A week later I picked somewhere to drive to around 10-15 miles away, so I was actually driving somewhere with a purpose. That helped massively. A month or two later I'm just getting ready to tackle motorways :D 

Is that your excuse for being spotted cruising round Highfields?

I'm the same as everyone else it seems, the lessons were fine, taught me what I needed to know but it wasn't until I drove my mum's car before my test that I really became confident. I'd failed my first test but the extra time being able to drive my own routes in my own time made a big difference. 

I'm sure a lot of companies now are beginning to do car insurance for daily cover which could be worth a look at if going on the policy full time is too costly?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

I'm in a similar boat but prob wont have to drive for another year at least so its reassuring to know the above.

• Like 1