Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Slimani - Get him back in

Who’s out of contract this summer? Could finally be the time we have quality and depth and when we get rid of the next batch of dead wood. It could be the biggest release of deadwood next summer ie Slimani,Morgan,Fuchs,James ??, and ideally ward, Gray, albrighton,iheanacho! Then go for players like Cantwell,Buendia,Brooks,Edouard! 

Edited by Heymister2015

19 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Thought Slimani looked good when he came on. Looked strong, fit and his first touch was great. Will be banging in the goals on thursday mark my words, the Europa was made for him. 

You know its comments like these that really make me question if i need to take a trip to Specsavers.

Edited by Simoken

Can we get him back out now the wet dream of him being a quality striker is spent having seen him back on our hallowed turf? He ran round enthusiastically I’ll give him that and he may look alright in early stages of UEFA league but anybody who thinks Nacho Slimani or even Pérez or Barnes can deputise for an injured  Vardy with anything like the goal return in the PL is, for me, simply dreaming.

Whatever we do with our cash in the next couple of windows, purchasing a lone striker is beyond paramount! BR knew it but we either couldn’t afford our targets or couldn’t land them.

Edited by Nick

1 minute ago, Nick said:

Can we get him back out now the wet dream of him being a quality striker is spent having seen him back on our hallowed turf? He ran round enthusiastically I’ll give him that and he may look alright in early stages of UEFA league but anybody who thinks Nacho Slimani or evening Pérez or Barnes can deputise for an injured  Vardy With anything like the goal return in the PL is, for me, simply dreaming.

Whatever we do with our cash in the next couple of windows, purchasing a lone striker is beyond paramount! BR knew it but we either couldn’t afford our targets or couldn’t land them.

Ollie Watkins would have been decent!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

Can we get him back out now the wet dream of him being a quality striker is spent having seen him back on our hallowed turf? He ran round enthusiastically I’ll give him that and he may look alright in early stages of UEFA league but anybody who thinks Nacho Slimani or even Pérez or Barnes can deputise for an injured  Vardy with anything like the goal return in the PL is, for me, simply dreaming.

Whoever we sign to replace Vardy is pretty much a certainty to not be anywhere close to his ability. The only way you make up for his loss is by improving several areas. ie. Rather than a striker scoring 24 goals and wingers scoring 6 or 7 each. We need the wingers to pick up the slack, as the replacement striker will probably do well to get 15 goals. 

• Like 1

If we could have got rid of him in the last window, I'm sure we would have, but we didn't. While we have the current injury epidemic it makes sense to use him.

He might also enable us to play a little bit more direct when necessary.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Whoever we sign to replace Vardy is pretty much a certainty to not be anywhere close to his ability. The only way you make up for his loss is by improving several areas. ie. Rather than a striker scoring 24 goals and wingers scoring 6 or 7 each. We need the wingers to pick up the slack, as the replacement striker will probably do well to get 15 goals. 

Absolutely but those 15 goals are not coming from anything we have right now.

14 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If we could have got rid of him in the last window, I'm sure we would have, but we didn't. While we have the current injury epidemic it makes sense to use him.

He might also enable us to play a little bit more direct when necessary.

It does make sense to utilise him in games that he can do a job in... I just don’t think the PL is that place - cup and early UEFA for me. There’s a few pairs of jeans I put on eBay I didn’t sell. If I do wear them again it’ll only be for decorating if you know what I mean!

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

It does make sense to utilise him in games that he can do a job in... I just don’t think the PL is that place - cup and early UEFA for me. There’s a few pairs of jeans I put on eBay I didn’t sell. If I do wear them again it’ll only be for decorating if you know what I mean!

He isn't registered for the Europa and he might be gone in Jan before the cup starts. Imo he's no worse than Ihenacho but obviously when Vardy's fit, Vardy starts.

Just now, Webbo said:

He isn't registered for the Europa and he might be gone in Jan before the cup starts. Imo he's no worse than Ihenacho but obviously when Vardy's fit, Vardy starts.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that. I do think he’s worse than Nacho by a margin but they are hard to compare as they have differing styles and functions but hopefully he’ll be gone in January yes but I’d rather have Pérez in the middle and Under the right until then. Period.

Lastly, that’s the last especially written decorating analogy you’re ever getting, you ungrateful bastard - not even a mention, I worked hard to reach out there.

1 minute ago, Nick said:

Yeah, I keep forgetting that. I do think he’s worse than Nacho by a margin but they are hard to compare as they have differing styles and functions but hopefully he’ll be gone in January yes but I’d rather have Pérez in the middle and Under the right until then. Period.

Lastly, that’s the last especially written decorating analogy you’re ever getting, you ungrateful bastard - not even a mention, I worked hard to reach out there.

I've not seen enough of Under to know whether  he's going improve us, fingers crossed. Maybe Perez could take the number 9 role but Rodgers has never played him there and he signed him so he probably doesn't fancy him there. 

BTW I wear jog pants under my overalls :sleep:

21 minutes ago, Nick said:

Absolutely but those 15 goals are not coming from anything we have right now.

I think if you play to their strengths they are capable of getting close, Nacho 5 league goals in a third of the minutes Vardy got. Perez knocked in 12 goals for a shit Newcastle and when Slim first signed his contribution wasn't too shabby. 

A replacement for Vardy though, no. He's a leader with the desire and effort he shows on the pitch. I wouldn't want to watch their half hearted efforts up top too often.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think if you play to their strengths they are capable of getting close, Nacho 5 league goals in a third of the minutes Vardy got. Perez knocked in 12 goals for a shit Newcastle and when Slim first signed his contribution wasn't too shabby. 

A replacement for Vardy though, no. He's a leader with the desire and effort he shows on the pitch. I wouldn't want to watch their half hearted efforts up top too often.

Yep, if you play to their strengths maybe, but there’s a cost to that, like changing the way we play, the formation and potentially regressing as a team as a result. The only one I’d put up top in a 4-1-4-1 is Pérez - all the rest for me are second strikers.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I've not seen enough of Under to know whether  he's going improve us, fingers crossed. Maybe Perez could take the number 9 role but Rodgers has never played him there and he signed him so he probably doesn't fancy him there. 

BTW I wear jog pants under my overalls :sleep:

Chav.

On 19/10/2020 at 12:36, City1884 said:

Slimani really isn’t what we need.

When he came on, we seemed more willing to cross into the box rather than play through, but as our only target, he won’t get much joy.

His passing and link up play was poor, but to be fair to him, he hasn’t played with our team, and some of it can be put down to him being rusty.

However, the glaring problem for me was just how immobile he is.

I was watching him off the ball, and he rarely even broke into a light jog. He seems lazy and sluggish.

He still has strength, but unless the ball goes pretty much straight to him, he just doesn’t get there.

Most Premier League defenders will gobble up anything before he even touches it

Playing balls in behind will be a complete waste of time, he won’t keep up with play if we break quickly, he won’t pressure defenders into losing the ball, and he won’t track back.

Bringing him on for iheanacho, and Choudhury for Mendy cost us the game last night. We may not have won it, but we wouldn’t have lost it.

...exactly what I had said before, he is very selective in the balls he chooses to receive!!!

People forget exactly why the players were so annoyed with him on the pitch.

On 19/10/2020 at 22:07, Col city fan said:

Aye, shame then we spunked 55 million on this pair isn’t it.

What a striker that could have gotten us.....

...the problem always comes back to Vardy!!!

What ever price we chose to pay for a striker, it will always have to be addressed that playing with one up top meant that they will be playing second fiddle to Vardy.