Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Time to start spending

39 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Wow I came on here feeling of so hopeful but reading everyones vastly differing opinions I'm exhausted and feel no better or wiser for it. All we have is that are owners are incredibly smart business owners. They do read scenarios pretty well and I'm sure they had two earlier in the year.  A hopeful scenario 1 where we qualify for champions league and a backup plan if we don't. As to what that is we won't know anytime soon unless Brendan starts drip feeding us his cryptic messages again. I find it hard to believe Rogers didn't get some agreement on cash to spend on players in his 2nd season. Let's wait and see what happens but yes I too really want some quality additions to give our squad a much needed boost! They have all punched above their weight and unfortunately fizzled out towards the end. I hope they all feel the bitterness of disappointment like the fans do as that will be fuel to drive them on next season when times get tough again which they undoubtedly will. COYF! ps... all I want for Xmas is delafeu from Watford for a discount price :P

Covid is a deal breaker when it comes to agreements between ownership and management. No way to plan for that.

Rodgers and us will have to make due with what we have. Plan C here we come. :beer:

I agree that our squad lacks quality in any depth but I can't see us spending big money on top talent, even if we could attract it in the first place. Player development will continue to be our policy I suspect which obviously has higher risk of failure, but can still bear fruit.

On 26/07/2020 at 19:25, Les Philpot said:

Evening all

I am disappointed but proud of our team after that season. Unfortunately it seems that Covid came at the wrong time for us, we looked set for the CL before that. 

That said I would like to call something out that has been an issue I think since we won the league. We do not think like a top 4 club. 

We need to lose our small town provincial mindset if we really are going to become a regular CL team. I think we can do this in a two main ways:

- Start spending. You cannot get net outspent by Brighton and Bournemouth and expect to be in the top 4. This point has surprised me as our excellent owners have failed to make this transition to a buying club since we won the league. We have been great with the championship and lower league buys (not to mention the academy) but this isn’t the approach of other CL clubs. 

- Stop selling. This one is obvious, but needs to be said. We routinely sell our best players to top 4 clubs (Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City). This sends the wrong message and further cements our mindset as a smaller club. It means that when Man Utd come in for our top defender, he sees it as a move upwards, even if they are in disarray. We need to change this with some marquee signings and contract extensions. 

The figures do not lie. When you see who came on for us today in this vital winner takes all game, you know we are currently not a CL club. I just hope we can remedy this (starting over the summer) before the GOAT finally hangs up his golden boots. 

It seems like you want us to do a Portsmouth and put the future of the club on the line. Thank fuch you're not in charge.

This is a spectacularly well-run club and long may it continue. We're competing with the elite few, but with a fraction of the resources they have. Why anyone would want us to suddenly start blowing obscene amounts we don't have, I just cannot work out. In case you haven't noticed, we only just missed out on Champions League football the other day, despite a pretty dire half a season and rotten luck re: injuries. We only needed a few more points - one extra good signing or one key player staying fit would probably have been enough. You're suggesting we buy a new Rolls-Royce because our car needs new windscreen wipers.

We're not going to spend like the big clubs. Obviously, we don't generate anything like the income they do. We couldn't spend like them if we wanted to, and thankfully, we don't need to. What we lack in financial might, we make up for with a great backroom staff and thorough scouting. We do our homework, and generally buy and sell very sensibly. We try to make good investments and make our cash go as far as possible. We've also become very good at developing our own homegrown players.

We're not a selling club any more than any other club is, really. We've been selling one key player a year for a few seasons now. That's to be expected, and isn't a bad thing. We don't get pushed around, and only sell on our own terms since Kante left (Slabhead for £80m still makes me laugh. Had Man Utd over the barrel good and proper there). Besides, selling a player for a big fee every so often is necessary for a club our size to raise the funds we need to carry on progressing.

We've put together a good, young squad that is competing at the top end of the top table in one of the world's top footballing nations, and we've done it while spending a relative pittance on the playing squad. We've only been back in the PL for 6 years, and in that time we've had 4 top 10 finishes and got into Europe twice. Oh yeah, won the fucher, as well (still pinching myself). We're overachieving hugely, and this is while we are investing heavily in the clubs infrastructure. Let's not forget, as we go into a 2nd European campaign in 4 years, there's a state-of-the-art training ground that will be the envy of pretty much every other club about to open and a planned stadium expansion on the horizon to look forward to on top of that. I have to say, anyone asking for more from the club in times like these does seem more than a little spoilt to me. I think your expectations are totally unrealistic. There's absolutely no need for us to suddenly change what we're doing.

Edited by Raw Dykes
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

It seems like you want us to do a Portsmouth and put the future of the club on the line. Thank fuch you're not in charge.

This is a spectacularly well-run club and long may it continue. We're competing with the elite few, but with a fraction of the resources they have. Why anyone would want us to suddenly start blowing obscene amounts we don't have, I just cannot work out. In case you haven't noticed, we only just missed out on Champions League football the other day, despite a pretty dire half a season and rotten luck re: injuries. We only needed a few more points - one extra good signing or one key player staying fit would probably have been enough. You're suggesting we buy a new Rolls-Royce because our car needs new windscreen wipers.

We're not going to spend like the big clubs. Obviously, we don't generate anything like the income they do. We couldn't spend like them if we wanted to, and thankfully, we don't need to. What we lack in financial might, we make up for with a great backroom staff and thorough scouting. We do our homework, and generally buy and sell very sensibly. We try to make good investments and make our cash go as far as possible. We've also become very good at developing our own homegrown players.

We're not a selling club any more than any other club is, really. We've been selling one key player a year for a few seasons now. That's to be expected, and isn't a bad thing. We don't get pushed around, and only sell on our own terms since Kante left (Slabhead for £80m still makes me laugh. Had Man Utd over the barrel good and proper there). Besides, selling a player for a big fee every so often is necessary for a club our size to raise the funds we need to carry on progressing.

We've put together a good, young squad that is competing at the top end of the top table in one of the world's top footballing nations, and we've done it while spending a relative pittance on the playing squad. We've only been back in the PL for 6 years, and in that time we've had 4 top 10 finishes and got into Europe twice. Oh yeah, won the fucher, as well (still pinching myself). We're overachieving hugely, and this is while we are investing heavily in the clubs infrastructure. Let's not forget, as we go into a 2nd European campaign in 4 years, there's a state-of-the-art training ground that will be the envy of pretty much every other club about to open and a planned stadium expansion on the horizon to look forward to on top of that. I have to say, anyone asking for more from the club in times like these does seem more than a little spoilt to me. I think your expectations are totally unrealistic. There's absolutely no need for us to suddenly change what we're doing.

I agree with loads of this. Almost all of it.

But still think there are 3 key positions which require a total of 100 million spending on them (Circa 3 x 33 million) if we are going to finish top 6 next year. 

And that’s not considering Vardy and say Ndidi being out for a half a season if they picked up serious injuries. 

Our wingers / wide forwards are to be honest at best should be squad players challenging for a starting mantle. Our CB’s in terms of depth of quality don’t allow us options if we pick up injuries between a back 3 and a 4. Our strikers (we should have a minimum of 3/4) is the same picture.

Now that said, how we spend that money whether it be marquee loan signings or new hot prospects will really define how we move forward. We need depth in quality but we already have depth in potential - we don’t have depth in starting 11 quality.

For me, now is the time to roll the dice and spend a bit. I’d like to see a gamble on a player like a Zaha or a Coutinho or a Jovic... I understand our model and the responses I’ll get from this - just my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick said:

I agree with loads of this. Almost all of it.

But still think there are 3 key positions which require a total of 100 million spending on them (Circa 3 x 33 million) if we are going to finish top 6 next year. 

And that’s not considering Vardy and say Ndidi being out for a half a season if they picked up serious injuries. 

Our wingers / wide forwards are to be honest at best should be squad players challenging for a starting mantle. Our CB’s in terms of depth of quality don’t allow us options if we pick up injuries between a back 3 and a 4. Our strikers (we should have a minimum of 3/4) is the same picture.

Now that said, how we spend that money whether it be marquee loan signings or new hot prospects will really define how we move forward. We need depth in quality but we already have depth in potential - we don’t have depth in starting 11 quality.

For me, now is the time to roll the dice and spend a bit. I’d like to see a gamble on a player like a Zaha or a Coutinho or a Jovic... I understand our model and the responses I’ll get from this - just my opinion.

I agree. We have been generally pretty lucky with injuries since returning to the PL, and this injury crisis has exposed our lack of depth. Being in Europe again is certainly not going to help that, and we do need to address this in this window. I'm with you - I think 3 extra senior players would do it. Certainly a centre-half and a striker. I think the other should probably be an attack-minded midfielder/winger. Ideally, at least one of the forward or midfielder would be a versatile player who can cover more than one position.

With everyone fit, I think the starting XI is good. It would be great if we could sign a player or two to go straight into the 1st XI, but I won't be gutted if we can only find 3 squad players. Depth is the key problem.

It will be interesting to see how the pandemic affects this transfer window for all clubs. I doubt we'll see many fees as huge as we've become used to. I think most clubs will want to reign it in a bit. However, I won't be surprised if there are some bargains going. There will be clubs who want or need to sell, and may have to lower their demands more than usual in order to do so.

I was a bit concerned we'd lose one of Maddison, Ricardo or Chilwell, but that looks unlikely now with the new contract and injuries, respectively. Not sure whether we will lose any key players this summer. Can't really imagine us selling anyone else.

I think it will be a tough transfer window, but I'll be content with a new centre-half and a forward. I'll be ecstatic if we land a playmaker or winger, as well.

I'd aim for something like this:

Kasper/Ward

Ricardo/Justin   Evans/New CB   Soyuncu/Benko/Wes   Chilwell/Fuchs/Thomas

Ndidi/Hamza

Tielemans/New versatile mid    Maddison/Praet       

New versatile mid/Perez/Gray                            Barnes/Kevin

Vardy/Nacho/New ST

• Like 2

On 26/07/2020 at 21:26, jeffschlupp said:

This is not possible.

The club operates within its means. King Power do not invest significantly in the club, that's the model. We have a £91m training ground which is financed by a loan which will be repaid to KP.

We don't 'routinely' sell players to these big clubs. It's one a season. Kante had a release clause, so the club have only voluntarily sold Drinkwater, Mahrez and Maguire. Drinkwater and Maguire in particular were great value deals for the club and haven't exactly improved those clubs massively either.

Contract extensions is hilarious. Does everyone forget the amount of money the club spent tying all of its key players down in the second half of 2018? Vardy, Schmeichel, Chilwell, Ndidi, Maguire, Amartey all got new contracts, along with the signings of Soyuncu, Ricardo, Maddison and Evans. We gave Barnes one last summer. Choudhury had one recently. Maddison is about to sign another, and Soyuncu will surely follow.

The club will sell Chilwell for good money if it is available because it gives them an opportunity to spend big in multiple areas. Maguire going bought us Perez and Tielemans who have contributed well this season to our success, and we haven't lost much defensively either.

We are a smaller club, until we manage to break the mould year after year, which is a very difficult but not impossible job. Only then will we see commercial revenue rise on a par with clubs like Spurs and even Everton, so we can spend more. It's nonsense to think we can get away with spending big money without selling for now.

I agree with every word of this, Finally some sense!

• Like 1

No one seems to be mentioning a new Goalie, Kasper is a club legend  but his decision making and Kicking are awful. He needs real competition in my view, he is also knocking on so a natural successor will be needed at some point. I’d add that to the list.

1 minute ago, MattTheOldFox said:

No one seems to be mentioning a new Goalie, Kasper is a club legend  but his decision making and Kicking are awful. He needs real competition in my view, he is also knocking on so a natural successor will be needed at some point. I’d add that to the list.

He may be 'knocking on' but he is contracted until 2023, and for a keeper 33 is probably more like 30 for an outfielder. 

And if he doesn't boot the ball at Ndidis arse at Dean Court, he has a perfectly reasonable shout for player of the season. He kept us in the fight in the first half a dozen games post lockdown.

Granted, maybe some real competition could be useful, but Rodgers has worked with Ward for years, and trusts Stowell's judgement on both him and Jakupovic. Any GK 'competition' is highly unlikely to play anyway.

But more than that, the only player at LCFC contracted beyond 2024 to our knowledge is Daniel Iversen, who will be on loan in the Championship next season after progressing up the leagues. The club think massively of him, as do the Denmark national setup.

They won't be after a keeper for a while yet.

2 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I agree. We have been generally pretty lucky with injuries since returning to the PL, and this injury crisis has exposed our lack of depth. Being in Europe again is certainly not going to help that, and we do need to address this in this window. I'm with you - I think 3 extra senior players would do it. Certainly a centre-half and a striker. I think the other should probably be an attack-minded midfielder/winger. Ideally, at least one of the forward or midfielder would be a versatile player who can cover more than one position.

With everyone fit, I think the starting XI is good. It would be great if we could sign a player or two to go straight into the 1st XI, but I won't be gutted if we can only find 3 squad players. Depth is the key problem.

It will be interesting to see how the pandemic affects this transfer window for all clubs. I doubt we'll see many fees as huge as we've become used to. I think most clubs will want to reign it in a bit. However, I won't be surprised if there are some bargains going. There will be clubs who want or need to sell, and may have to lower their demands more than usual in order to do so.

I was a bit concerned we'd lose one of Maddison, Ricardo or Chilwell, but that looks unlikely now with the new contract and injuries, respectively. Not sure whether we will lose any key players this summer. Can't really imagine us selling anyone else.

I think it will be a tough transfer window, but I'll be content with a new centre-half and a forward. I'll be ecstatic if we land a playmaker or winger, as well.

Kasper/Ward

Ndidi/Hamza

Vardy/Nacho/New ST

Kevin 😆 

5 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Generally agree with this, but I also think we need to spend whatever money is possibly available this summer And all of it, because we are weak. We want to continue to push on, to do that we have to invest in the playing squad. We really do need the owners to get back to their aim in the championship in having 2 quality players in every position. We haven’t even got 1 quality player in every position. Our wide players are shocking - barnes is a talent and I like him but He’s not ready to be a key player, and the others are straight up garbage.

im happy with us finding bargains and good value players. I don’t urge or expect the club to make a ton of high profile signings. But we need to bring in quality in numbers this summer equal to the quality we already have or better in many cases.

personally I don’t see what Difference a state of the art training facility makes unless it comes fully equipped with the best coaches in the world and I’d rather have spent that money on playing staff, but that’s just my own personal opinion which is irrelevant because the training ground black hole is done now and I don’t expect people to agree and I’m tangenting here. 

On 28/07/2020 at 22:02, Raw Dykes said:

Kasper/Ward

Ndidi/Hamza

Vardy/Nacho/New ST

That is also my take...Plus U21 players,who should start to get Bench time...giving us the 25...Plus Development U21..

• Like 1

For what it's worth...

Lcfc transfer spend on incoming players:
2016/17 £82.44 million
2017/18 £79.38 million
2018/19 £103.14 million
2019/20 £93.87 million

Can see us spending over £100 million this window...

CF Odsonne Edouard £30 million
CB Merih Demiral £30 million
CM Weston Mckennie £25 million

RW David Brooks £20 million
LB Kostas Tsimikas  £15 million

Sorted!👍

Edited by foxpleasure
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, foxpleasure said:

For what it's worth...

2016/17 £82.44 million
2017/18 £79.38 million
2018/19 £103.14 million
2019/20 £93.87 million

Can see us spending over £100 million this window...

CF Odsonne Edouard £30 million
CB Merih Demiral £30 million
CM Weston Mckennie £25 million

RW David Brooks £20 million
LB Kostas Tsimikas  £15 million

Sorted!👍

For the previous totals, can you provide the net spend too please?

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

For the previous totals, can you provide the net spend too please?

Sorry but I'm sitting here in the sun with a cold drink and can't be arsed but someone probably knows it or it could be worked out from transfermarkt.co.uk. I would add that we are fairly sure that they were trying to sign another CB that would have added to that total.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 00:11, dooflip said:

Generally agree with this, but I also think we need to spend whatever money is possibly available this summer And all of it, because we are weak. We want to continue to push on, to do that we have to invest in the playing squad. We really do need the owners to get back to their aim in the championship in having 2 quality players in every position. We haven’t even got 1 quality player in every position. Our wide players are shocking - barnes is a talent and I like him but He’s not ready to be a key player, and the others are straight up garbage.

im happy with us finding bargains and good value players. I don’t urge or expect the club to make a ton of high profile signings. But we need to bring in quality in numbers this summer equal to the quality we already have or better in many cases.

personally I don’t see what Difference a state of the art training facility makes unless it comes fully equipped with the best coaches in the world and I’d rather have spent that money on playing staff, but that’s just my own personal opinion which is irrelevant because the training ground black hole is done now and I don’t expect people to agree and I’m tangenting here. 

I don't think we're weak. There's certainly room for improvement, but any club is going to suffer without their best player, their best left back and best playmaker. I know the rot started with them available, but we had a much better chance of recovery with them involved.

Re: wide players. It's certainly our weakest area. I'd be looking to add a wide player to the squad if we intend to use them this season. I think Barnes has huge potential, and I'd keep him starting as much as possible. He'll improve quicker that way. Ayoze's alright, but he's much better playing centrally. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. I think Gray and Sharky are fine as backup.

The training ground is a long-term investment, and a valuable one. It's these sorts of things that will set us apart from other clubs, especially if we one day find ourselves back in the Championship. It could easily be the clincher when a player, manager, coach, etc. has to decide between us and someone else. The players and staff will go into work each day and see tangible evidence that this is a serious club wherever they look. It will give the club a lift, I'm sure. I don't know if you can really put a price on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxpleasure said:

For what it's worth...

2016/17 £82.44 million
2017/18 £79.38 million
2018/19 £103.14 million
2019/20 £93.87 million

Go on then clearly I’m sad enough :thumbup:

Out: 

16/17 - £59.45 mil = £22 million net

17/18 - £45.09 mil = £34 million net

18/19 - £86.22 mil = £17 million net

19/20 - £79.65 mil = £14 million net

So net spend of roughly £20 million per season so if we don’t sell Chilwell can see it being a relatively quiet window with a few loans/ free transfers, and maybe 1 big signing (RW plz).

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Out: 

So net spend of roughly £20 million per season so if we don’t sell Chilwell can see it being a relatively quiet window with a few loans/ free transfers, and maybe 1 big signing (RW plz).

Obviously if we sell Chilwell for ~ £60 million + £20million net spend + whatever we can get for other players surplus to requirements ~ £90 million. 

• RW - Brooks £25 mill

• CB - Demiral £30 mill

• LB - Tagliafico/Telles/Grimaldo £25 mill

• ST - Watkins £18 mill

Edit: Obviously depends if any of those want to come here.

Edited by Foxes96

29 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Out: 

Good work👍two things that makes me think it might be more than 20; a. They wanted to purchase a centre back so there was clearly more money available b. They know that there is a substantial sum coming in from Europe league 

On 30/07/2020 at 20:08, ronnup said:

I'm hearing Villa are wanting to second upwards of 100 million quid on 3 players. Chelsea are about tj spend half a ****ing trillion. Why can't we get a bit lairy eh? Come on. Live a little 

Here here! There’s a big gap between being ambitious and ‘doing a Portsmouth’.

It’s been a tough year all round I feel more gloomy having read some of these posts🦊🦊

1 hour ago, Les Philpot said:

Here here! There’s a big gap between being ambitious and ‘doing a Portsmouth’.

It’s been a tough year all round I feel more gloomy having read some of these posts🦊🦊

Is there a big gap between being ambitious and ‘doing a Portsmouth?' Our wages to turnover ratio was 84% for the 2018-19 season. That was second only to Everton (85%). Granted, we do still have a couple of big-earners in the bomb squad, but I think you have to allow for this. Until our profile grows enough to significantly increase our commercial income, I don't think there's much scope for unnecessarily adding to the wage bill.

Does spending above your means ever end well? Sure, it may be nice for some fans to see their club spunk obsene amounts up the wall. The Mad Dog Allen supermarket sweep was exciting, but we all know how that played out. It may even bring some short-term success, but it's inevitably going to catch up with you sooner or later (see Leeds, Portsmouth, etc.). With the club in its current position, it's risk that is simply not worth taking.

It has been a year to forget, and missing out on CL still stings, but I'm optimistic. I don't know how long you've been a City supporter, but if you can cast your mind back 11 years, you just need to look at the bigger picture. If you could go back in time to tell your past self where we'd be now, what do you think they'd say? I know if I could say to 2009 Raw Dykes, "Don't worry, we'll blitz League One, win the Championship title with ease in a few years, enjoy a spectacular great escape after being bottom all year in our first season back in the PL, win a PL title the very next season, yes, I said win a PL title, reach the CL quarter-finals - furthest of all British clubs that year, and then get 3 more top 10 finishes including 5th." he would probably be terrified about early onset dementia.

We've got the greatest owners any football club could ever wish to have. I trust them with the club wholeheartedly. I just want them to carry on as they are.

• Like 3