Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Time to start spending

Evening all

I am disappointed but proud of our team after that season. Unfortunately it seems that Covid came at the wrong time for us, we looked set for the CL before that. 

That said I would like to call something out that has been an issue I think since we won the league. We do not think like a top 4 club. 

We need to lose our small town provincial mindset if we really are going to become a regular CL team. I think we can do this in a two main ways:

- Start spending. You cannot get net outspent by Brighton and Bournemouth and expect to be in the top 4. This point has surprised me as our excellent owners have failed to make this transition to a buying club since we won the league. We have been great with the championship and lower league buys (not to mention the academy) but this isn’t the approach of other CL clubs. 

- Stop selling. This one is obvious, but needs to be said. We routinely sell our best players to top 4 clubs (Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City). This sends the wrong message and further cements our mindset as a smaller club. It means that when Man Utd come in for our top defender, he sees it as a move upwards, even if they are in disarray. We need to change this with some marquee signings and contract extensions. 

The figures do not lie. When you see who came on for us today in this vital winner takes all game, you know we are currently not a CL club. I just hope we can remedy this (starting over the summer) before the GOAT finally hangs up his golden boots. 

Every summer there is a reason why our nett spend is on the low side.  This summer it’s covid. 

so we never get to see how committed the owners are over and behind what the club generates itself.  with FFP suspended for the summer there is an opportunity to build some depth to the squad with some quality.  

I suspect the strategy is to carry on as we are re player recruitment/ selling whilst we set the infrastructure up with the Training Centre and the Stadium Expansion. 

Keep as close as we can to the top 6 until that is complete and then drive on to a higher level. 

Even then a big part of our progress will be player development and that’s where the bigger challenge is we’re only now coming out a phase when our academy was stocked  with Championship potential we now and hopefully are managing to bring in potential PL talent players that at the least have a 1st touch and a good passing ability on which to build.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dooflip said:

Would love us to go balls to the wall and bring in loads of quality, but it won’t happen. I’d put money on us all being massively underwhelmed and frustrated come September. I really hope

im wrong.

Well at least the football has acclimatised us to those emotions

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

I suspect the strategy is to carry on as we are re player recruitment/ selling whilst we set the infrastructure up with the Training Centre and the Stadium Expansion. 

Keep as close as we can to the top 6 until that is complete and then drive on to a higher level. 

Even then a big part of our progress will be player development and that’s where the bigger challenge is we’re only now coming out a phase when our academy was stocked  with Championship potential we now and hopefully are managing to bring in potential PL talent players that at the least have a 1st touch and a good passing ability on which to build.

That is definitely the strategy.

I think a big reason why people are so upset is that this season it looked like just like in 15/16 we were going to take a shortcut and move several years ahead of the current plan. But the long term strategy is just as you say and it's going to take a while to see fruition. Teams like Everton and Spurs who we finished above have much better commercial revenues, yet alone the 4 teams that finished above us!

• Like 2

We spent the Maguire money fairly wisely (Justin, Perez & Tielemans). All 3 have contributed positively  

I'd gladly sell Chilwell if we can buy 2 high quality players, a,winger and a defender.

• Like 1

there’s not many teams outside of ‘the established‘ who can spend MILLIONS on a new training ground, MILLIONS on a stadium expansion and 100 million on new players after no gate income for half a season.

If we pull off anything close to that figure i want a statue of every person in Thailand outside the stadium.

Here's what I expect to happen:

CB - younger guy, at least under the age of 27, tall, decent on the ball, maybe a bit rough around the edges. Club will spend no more than £20m here. Will be helped by the promise to start the season alongside Söyüncü in the absence of Evans through suspension.

AM - Cover for Maddison. Rodgers wants more creativity, so expect someone with decent key chance/assist numbers. Not sure on age but don't expect it to be a big fee, could look for a free (Lusamba at Nice?) or a player from a smaller league like Holland. Needs to be capable of playing as an attacking no.8 more than a traditional no.10. Perhaps a bit quicker than our current options.

RW - Someone to take the responsibility for take-ons/dribbles away from Ricardo. Quick, ideally has power in terms of upper body strength too. Decent finisher. I'm talking the Zaha mould. If they're reasonably secure financially, we could see £30-40m spent here if the right player is available.

CF - Something different to Vardy and Iheanacho. Mobile with decent link-up play, perhaps a more Kramaric type player. Strikers are a premium but I'd be surprised to see the club spend more than £30m here.

With those four there you're looking at probably £100m of signings. Can the club afford that? I would think no.

So you then sell Chilwell for £60-70m, and perhaps get lucky and take in £10-15m for one or several of Gray, Amartey, James, Slimani, Silva, Ghezzal or Diabate (the rest go on loan). You're then at £15-30m net spend, which is a typical summer for us.

The difference then will be if EL qualification can afford for us to spend another £20-30m to replace Chilwell with an external buy. Nobody really knows whether COVID has hit the club's plans that badly - matchday profits for five home games are not that significant, and the TV rebates aren't due until next season. I'd still expect the club to dip into the market to take the pressure off Thomas if he starts the season shakily.

That would be a good summer for us. In a fully fit team with 9 subs, you've got a bench of Ward, Justin, CB, Mendy, Praet, AM, Pérez, CF, Iheanacho. And that's a matchday squad that leaves out solid pros like Morgan, Albrighton, Fuchs, and then good young players like Choudhury and Thomas.

• Like 3

I can see us selling Chilwell for 55million and using that money to sign a fee half decent players. Other than that we have just a splashed on a New training ground, airports have closed so KP profits will be down, we won’t be spending big, especially not now we haven’t qualified for the UCL

I would expect 8/9’to leave...

Mendy, Hamza, Gray, James , Albrighton And Morgan are not good enough..

I doubt Perez also.
then we have the dregs of Slimani, Silva Diabate still on our books.

europa league will take an awful lot out of a small squad.. Potentially 50/60 games with a decent run.

we need 7/8 in and have to be good enough for the first team not just to make up the squad..

The above players have had plenty opportunities this season to help arrest the slide but have contributed very little.

you can not surely think Wes is still good enough ?

Albrighton offers work rare but no creativity.
Gray, what does he do except the odd cameo ?

we need players good enough to start regular or at least challenge the starting 11....

• Haha 1