Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kitstats

Season 2007-08 images

7 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I've largely put that season to the back of my mind, so I've had a quick read through the Wikipedia page.

We had some pretty turd players back then coming through the revolving door at the Walkers... Who on earth is Jonny Hayes?! And how did Elvis Hammond manage three years at the club? 

But on paper the core squad wasn't that bad, was it? We just couldn't score goals and the chairman was playing real life Football Manager.

Having said that, when Stearman was the season's best player, something's gone a bit awry.

We just didn't have any quality widemen whatsoever, it killed us. I remember being genuinely pleased we'd signed David Bell and Kelvin Etuhu on loans for ****s sake.

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I’m not really one to be bothered about the media favouring the big 6, it’s pretty obvious the broadcasters are going to pander to the biggest audiences but I do resent being called a small club. We’ve consistently been in the top flight or at worst challenging for promotion for most of our existence. We’ve always been a medium sized club.

Yeah, in the top flight/ challenging for promotion is where the majority of our existence has been. We're certainly not a lower league club having our time in the sun, haven't we finished in every position in the top division now?

Clubs with 50+ seasons in the top flight have had an impact of sorts.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Corky said:

Yeah, in the top flight/ challenging for promotion is where the majority of our existence has been. We're certainly not a lower league club having our time in the sun, haven't we finished in every position in the top division now?

Clubs with 50+ seasons in the top flight have had an impact of sorts.

I wonder how differently we’d be seen if we’d won the double in the Ice Kings season.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2020 at 20:35, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

We just didn't have any quality widemen whatsoever, it killed us. I remember being genuinely pleased we'd signed David Bell and Kelvin Etuhu on loans for ****s sake.

David Bell was alright to be fair, one of our better players say the end of the season.

On 02/08/2020 at 11:38, norwichfox said:

tried the same thing myself to prove to my mates I wasn't a plastic fan, there's nothing like having the programmes for proving this this. :P

I have a Radio smashed to pieces to prove i used to listen to John Barber

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Who wants more newspaper clippings?

image.thumb.png.c703d9124344bc7ab52ed44aac50133d.png

image.png.195843f7cc55e97d2339591613858fe2.png

image.png.43b3e5409eb5d869d7d746495c053253.png

image.png.cc6126a2c757337b33ca70faa8eb2066.png

John Gregory and Nigel Worthington have the experience to keep us up. The last guy in unproven and not worth the risk at a club like ours.

22 hours ago, Stadt said:

I wonder how differently we’d be seen if we’d won the double in the Ice Kings season.

Thought this myself recently, there’s a few nearly seasons throughout our history that would’ve changed everyone’s perspective on the club, even since 2016 there’s still people who say we’ve got no history before that. People are too quick to just judge clubs based on major honours and nothing else. 

On 03/08/2020 at 14:10, Footballwipe said:

Some Sky Sports News clips from that season here

Plenty of press clippings from that season here, including this horrifying one from May 2008 just after we went down:

image.png.e34e4d8c315a8f11f3f36fd9cbcd2aac.png

Oh God, the never ending Billy Davies saga. Three times in a year he was "set to take charge".

Strange to think now that his stock was high after Preston and Derby- so grateful we went nowhere near him in the end.

• Like 1

I know this was 06/07 but in the theme of this thread. Sheffield Wednesday, who weren't exactly a top team, came to our place and scored 3 World class goals.

Note how after their 3rd goal we kicked off and gave away possession immediately and Tudgay went up and scored another worldie lol

Edited by Koke

7 minutes ago, Koke said:

I know this was 06/07 but in the theme of this thread. Sheffield Wednesday, who weren't exactly a top team, came to our place and scored 3 World class goals.

Note how after their 3rd goal we kicked off and gave away possession immediately and Tudgay went up and scored another worldie lol

That whole Leveine era & hangover from it was absoletely revolting. We should've gone down before we did really.

Southampton in the FA Cup right after they'd sold Walcott, 0-0 all game my mates both had new PSP's and were barely watching, they leave three minutes before the end and I'm like nahh I'll be a proper fan and see this out . . . they're gone 2 minutes we conceed and I'm flying out down the stairs.

Also that game a glued together Michael Bridges scored for Hull or someone in a night game, another screamer in a match where nothing else happened, just terrible football.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The whole transfer policy around that time can be summed up from when we were relegated in 2004:

Adams: Fill the squad with overaged crap

Levein: Fill the squad with crap from Scotland

Kelly: Fill the squad with mediocre crap

Allen: Fill the squad with random (and expensive) crap

Holloway: Continue what Allen did

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Yes said:

Thought this myself recently, there’s a few nearly seasons throughout our history that would’ve changed everyone’s perspective on the club, even since 2016 there’s still people who say we’ve got no history before that. People are too quick to just judge clubs based on major honours and nothing else

....and footballers. 

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

The whole transfer policy around that time can be summed up from when we were relegated in 2004:

Adams: Fill the squad with overaged crap

Levein: Fill the squad with crap from Scotland

Kelly: Fill the squad with mediocre crap

Allen: Fill the squad with random (and expensive) crap

Holloway: Continue what Allen did

To be fair they didn't have much of a choice Adams had no budget and Levein was under orders to cut the existing budget. I doubt those that followed were much better off.

Mandaric came in with all sorts of promises of promotion but ended with relegation but wanted to do everything on the cheap, I'd guess that on balance he never put that much into the club certainly not enough to get us promoted.

He bought  us on the cheap with his scaremongering publicity and sold us for a profit. But then he was a business man first, second and last. 

Fortunately he stumble on a fantastic buyer.