Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kitstats

Season 2007-08 images

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Unpopular opinion: 

A great guy / man manager and a decent championship manager who was let down HUGELY by the board and upper echelons of the club.

From what I’ve heard from a player whilst he was manager, Olly was brilliant- honest, genuine, hardworking and really gave a shit about the club and the players, just probably didn’t quite realise how much of a mess he was walking into. Right place wrong time perhaps.

Thank god he went and we got Pearson in though. I don’t think many other managers in England could’ve done a better job at clearing out the muck and rejuvenating the club. 

Olly does well when he's not at a big club under less pressure like when we as at Blackpool and Palace. Up at Grimsby now isn't he.

9 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Olly does well when he's not at a big club under less pressure like when we as at Blackpool and Palace. Up at Grimsby now isn't he.

Honestly I’m not so sure mate. His time with us was a complete anomaly in my opinion just because of how rotten our club was at the time. 

Didn't do brilliantly at QPR recently but again was a tricky gig having to sell best players and bring through youth. I’m gobsmacked he’s managing at league 2 level, but it does seem that he loves to buy into a project and maybe Grimsby was that next project. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Unpopular opinion: 

A great guy / man manager and a decent championship manager who was let down HUGELY by the board and upper echelons of the club.

From what I’ve heard from a player whilst he was manager, Olly was brilliant- honest, genuine, hardworking and really gave a shit about the club and the players, just probably didn’t quite realise how much of a mess he was walking into. Right place wrong time perhaps.

Thank god he went and we got Pearson in though. I don’t think many other managers in England could’ve done a better job at clearing out the muck and rejuvenating the club. 

I agree. The club had been staying up by the skin of its teeth for a number of years. On a downward spiral. 

We then had that strange season where we had Allen, Megson and Holloway. We signed some strange players for quite high wages. I couldn't really blame Holloway for that season. Defensively the team were ok, we were just absolutely crap up front apart from odd games, I think we scored 42 that year we beat norwich 4-0, WBA 4-1, watford 4-1. So only 34 goals over 43 other games. As usual I dont think the manager merry go round helped.

9 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I agree. The club had been staying up by the skin of its teeth for a number of years. On a downward spiral. 

We then had that strange season where we had Allen, Megson and Holloway. We signed some strange players for quite high wages. I couldn't really blame Holloway for that season. Defensively the team were ok, we were just absolutely crap up front apart from odd games, I think we scored 42 that year we beat norwich 4-0, WBA 4-1, watford 4-1. So only 34 goals over 43 other games. As usual I dont think the manager merry go round helped.

Martin Allen was only here for a short period of time but was far more culpable than any manager we had that year off the pitch. How that man got a job at Leicester is beyond me and why he was allowed so much control by Mandaric is even more baffling. Honestly it’s no surprise to see the demise of some good football league clubs when they allow muppets to run them. 

17 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Even worse than that. 30 goals in the other 43 games. That's about 2 in 3, or a goal every 1.5 games/135 mins. Pretty shite.

Defence was very good. 2nd best in the league, I think. Goes to show how bad the attack was.

Edited by Raw Dykes

I've largely put that season to the back of my mind, so I've had a quick read through the Wikipedia page.

We had some pretty turd players back then coming through the revolving door at the Walkers... Who on earth is Jonny Hayes?! And how did Elvis Hammond manage three years at the club? 

But on paper the core squad wasn't that bad, was it? We just couldn't score goals and the chairman was playing real life Football Manager.

Having said that, when Stearman was the season's best player, something's gone a bit awry.

Jonny Hayes had a decent  left foot on him. 

Elvis Hammond (ankle) was a treasure. My peak frustration with Elvis was when we were about to celebrate a certain goal, only for Elvis to clear it off the line. 

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

I've largely put that season to the back of my mind, so I've had a quick read through the Wikipedia page.

We had some pretty turd players back then coming through the revolving door at the Walkers... Who on earth is Jonny Hayes?! And how did Elvis Hammond manage three years at the club? 

But on paper the core squad wasn't that bad, was it? We just couldn't score goals and the chairman was playing real life Football Manager.

Having said that, when Stearman was the season's best player, something's gone a bit awry.

Out of all the crap we had that season you pull out Jonny Hayes as an example? lol

Went on to win a few cups and titles with Celtic and a decent career with Aberdeen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Out of all the crap we had that season you pull out Jonny Hayes as an example? lol

Went on to win a few cups and titles with Celtic and a decent career with Aberdeen.

Yeah, I read his Wikipedia page. Doesn't mean to say I'd ever heard of the bloke or recalled him ever playing for us.

The worst thing about all of it was that there was real optimism before the season- a new owner with money and promises, a manager who was straight talking and had done well in the lower leagues. We ended it an absolute basket case and at a level never seen before.

The whole campaign was a complete mess.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

The season tickets raining onto the pitch towards the end of that game. :facepalm:

I remember getting attacked at the end of the game over some tit smoking in the family stand. Toxic game with a toxic ending. After a hitting him with a couple of punches I legged it down the stairwell with dozens of riot police heading in the opposite direction. A horrible day all around.

18 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

I remember feeling so low I went out and got hammered in Loughborough that night, only to later see half the squad, including Hulme who’d missed the penalty that day, out in a club.

Now some get upset if they so much as smile after a game.

The overly-sensitive, non-perspective society we have sadly now become.

Any reasonable perspective people shown these days is often met with "YOU HAVE LOSER MENTALITY" and other such nonsense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

There was plenty of things out of Holloway’s hands that season but he took over with us out of the relegation zone and took us into the 3rd tier for the first time in our then 124 year history. Unforgivable.

Yeah I dont like this revisionist history on Ollie, we had 3 but context is needed when discussing them, Ollie had the most time and had a window where he was backed and it went tits up.

When he became Manager we were hovering around 15th - 17th at the end of the season we were 22nd

He signed all these players for in excess of £2m 

Steve Howard England.png Derby County £1,500,000 01.01.2008
Barry Hayles Jamaica.png Plymouth Argyle £150,000 02.01.2008
Zsolt Laczkó Hungary.png Olympiacos On loan 04.01.2008
Ben Alnwick England.png Tottenham Hotspur On loan 07.01.2008
Gábor Bori Hungary.png MTK On loan 08.01.2008
Matt Oakley England.png Derby County £500,000 11.01.2008
Jamie Clapham England.png Wolverhampton Wanderers Free 31.01.2008
Lee Hendrie England.png Sheffield United On loan 28.02.2008
Kelvin Etuhu Nigeria.png Manchester City On loan 04.03.2008
Harry Worley England.png Chelsea On loan 07.03.2008
David Bell Ireland.png Luton Town On loan 28.03.2008
Harry Worley England.png Chelsea Free 05.05.2008

He got rid of all these players.

Eric Odhiambo England.png Dundee United On loan 01.01.2008
Alex Cisak Australia.png Tamworth On loan 10.01.2008
Jonathan Hayes Ireland.png Northampton Town On loan 11.01.2008
Carl Cort England.png Released Free 11.01.2008
Max Gradel Ivory.png Bournemouth On loan 11.01.2008
Shaun Newton England.png Released Free 14.01.2008
Jimmy Nielsen Denmark.png Vejle Boldklub Free 23.01.2008
Mark De Vries Netherlands.png Released Free 25.01.2008
Carl Pentney England.png Ilkeston Town On loan 29.01.2008
Alan Sheehan Ireland.png Leeds United On loan 31.01.2008
Alan Maybury Ireland.png Aberdeen On loan 31.01.2008
Darren Kenton England.png Leeds United Free 31.01.2008
Hossein Kaebi Iran.png Released Free 04.02.2008
Robert Douglas Scotland.png Plymouth Argyle On loan 14.03.2008
Carl Pentney England.png Fisher Athletic On loan April 2008
Jamie Clapham England.png Released Free May 2008
Elvis Hammond Ghana.png Released Free May 2008
Alan Maybury Ireland.png Released Free 15.05.2008
Robert Douglas Scotland.png Released Free 15.05.2008

He had plenty of opportunity and £sss to keep the club in the Championship.

But what really bugged me about him was his general attitude as he never seemed to take the prospect of being relegated seriously and it came across like he thought it was a big joke.

Calm down and have a sandwich as were slowly but surely sinking into the abyss.

Hollowinboat.gif

PS By comparison Pearson in his 1st season in the Championship spent £2.2m on players and sold one for £1m and got us to 5th.

If only we'd got him instead of Holloway

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

There was plenty of things out of Holloway’s hands that season but he took over with us out of the relegation zone and took us into the 3rd tier for the first time in our then 124 year history. Unforgivable.

Quoting your own post, who does that.

But it was losing that status of being one of the nine clubs that had never been in the third tier that bothered me more than relegation at the time. At the time we didn’t have much to cling onto so maybe I’d attached myself to it but it definitely stung, what’s happened since has lessened the blow and indirectly lead to all we’ve achieved but Holloway sickens me in a way most of the villains associated with club don’t (Wise, aside)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Quoting your own post, who does that.

But it was losing that status of being one of the nine clubs that had never been in the third tier that bothered me more than relegation at the time. At the time we didn’t have much to cling onto so maybe I’d attached myself to it but it definitely stung, what’s happened since has lessened the blow and indirectly lead to all we’ve achieved but Holloway sickens me in a way most of the villains associated with club don’t (Wise, aside)

Just had a look- we've spent 13 seasons in the bottom half of the second tier (including League One in that) since 1925.

It's not as though we've been that close to the third tier either on lots of occasions.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Corky said:

Just had a look- we've spent 13 seasons in the bottom half of the second tier (including League One in that) since 1925.

It's not as though we've been that close to the third tier either on lots of occasions.

I’m not really one to be bothered about the media favouring the big 6, it’s pretty obvious the broadcasters are going to pander to the biggest audiences but I do resent being called a small club. We’ve consistently been in the top flight or at worst challenging for promotion for most of our existence. We’ve always been a medium sized club.