Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Stabbings in Birmingham

Just now, Facecloth said:

There should be one reason a person is walking the street with a knife, and that's they've just purchased it. Other than that they belong in the kitchen. Anyone found with one should receive a custodial sentence, as there's no reason the carry one other than to harm someone.

There are reasons, just very very few. My granny used to carry around a special knife for eating since she has arthritis and can't use normal ones in restaurants. :D

Anyone carry one around for violent purposes is indeed a twat though. Imo, current punishments just don't go far enough.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

There should be one reason a person is walking the street with a knife, and that's they've just purchased it. Other than that they belong in the kitchen. Anyone found with one should receive a custodial sentence, as there's no reason the carry one other than to harm someone.

56 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Apart from carpet fitters.

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

There are reasons, just very very few. My granny used to carry around a special knife for eating since she has arthritis and can't use normal ones in restaurants. :D

Anyone carry one around for violent purposes is indeed a twat though. Imo, current punishments just don't go far enough.

Alright, so apart from kitchen knives for food prep, carpet fitters, grannies with special knives for eating, or any reason other than violent purposes....

Anyone who carries a knife for any other reason is an absolute ****.

20 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Alright, so apart from kitchen knives for food prep, carpet fitters, grannies with special knives for eating, or any reason other than violent purposes....

Any tradesman really, as a soldier we all carried either a Gerber or Leatherman, I should imagine many trades find them useful.

As such it would be a difficult law to enforce, maybe limit to size and type? But there should be tough penalties if carrying with intent to harm.

28 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I have a Stanley knife for paper hanging. 

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Should be a minimum 5 jail sentence for anyone caught carrying  a knife.

We need this sort of deterrent to help put a stop to these shocking incidents.

4 hours ago, rachhere said:

As someone living in Birmingham, i am very sad to hear the news today. It all sounds very confused at the moment.

Re. knife crime. Obviously I agree with these sentiments when it comes to people who set out to cause terror. However there's also a huge link between knife crime and gangs, which in turn is linked to deprivation (and exploitation by those involved in organised crime). I hate the thought that anyone walks around with a knife, but I am also conscious that many of those young people who do have a story of how they ended up in that place. We have a social responsibility to help provide them with a better path, rather than just rely on a custodial response. 

Top comment, couldn't agree more. It's just the thought of a small incision that ends your life. My close neighbour was stabbed and murdered in the heart few years ago. carjacking gone wrong despite him handing the keys over. Criminals dumped the car a few miles down the road too. His dad's never been the same as they worked together as a father-son mechanic for a long time. He's now turned to alcohol and devastated understandably.  

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

We should also ban hammers, lead pipes, candlesticks, and lengths of rope as these can be used to harm people and we mustn't be too careful. 

Knife crime is the trend though. What you've mentioned is what seasoned gangsters use to extract information from their rivals!

5 minutes ago, newfox1 said:

Top comment, couldn't agree more. It's just the thought of a small incision that ends your life. My close neighbour was stabbed and murdered in the heart few years ago. carjacking gone wrong despite him handing the keys over. Criminals dumped the car a few miles down the road too. His dad's never been the same as they worked together as a father-son mechanic for a long time. He's now turned to alcohol and devastated understandably.  

Yeah it’s just awful. A friend of mine works in schools in areas where there’s a lot of gang troubles and apparently the police openly admit they have lost a grip on it now - they just don’t have the resource. I remember watching a documentary of some kids in Manchester who are in gangs and regularly carry knives. They just saw no hope in life - all they had were their gang family, and if they ended up in jail then at least they would have a roof over their heads. We have so much damage to repair in society, it’s just heartbreaking. 

Edited by rachhere

21 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

We should also ban hammers, lead pipes, candlesticks, and lengths of rope as these can be used to harm people and we mustn't be too careful. 

Those people who used to go on about banning video nasties and X-rated computer games were barking up the wrong tree.

It's Cluedo that can have a disturbing impact on young minds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1