Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BirminghamFox

RIP Frank Worthington :(

12 hours ago, dynamark said:

Didnt Mercer pick an England team with 4 city players probably Steve Whitworth being the 4th ?

Hey ho we have 3 Belgians and a couple of Nigerians

No, Whitworth's first cap was under Revie.

There was a line-up under Mercer that had Shilton, Weller, Worthington, and Nish (who was ex-Leicester).

Edited by Buce
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Midlands yellow said:

What a talent he was. Can you imagine how many hours of practice to get that good at juggling.

He's always been one of my favorite players of all time and synonymous with Leicester, He played for a great Manager jimmy Bloomfield in the 70s.

There was so many good players in that team and the Manager just let them express their talents with freedom.

I'm sure you are with many friends now. R.I.P. Frank.

• Like 2

Getting on a bit here. As a kid Worthington, Weller, Rofe, Whitworth were sellotaped to my wall. No blu tac then. Didn’t LCFC win a Footie skills programme? ( with Worthington ) A bit like Superstars but Footie. I may be wrong but remember thinking we were going to take on the world after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skirk said:

Getting on a bit here. As a kid Worthington, Weller, Rofe, Whitworth were sellotaped to my wall. No blu tac then. Didn’t LCFC win a Footie skills programme? ( with Worthington ) A bit like Superstars but Footie. I may be wrong but remember thinking we were going to take on the world after that.

Yes, was called 'All In The Game'. On ITV I think, mid/late 70's.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Yes, was called 'All In The Game'. On ITV I think, mid/late 70's.

I’m sure they were wearing the Admiral white away kit with the ‘rings’ around the arms. My first top was the home version. The badge was rubbish and peeled 🙄

Edited by skirk
  • Like 1

Nice little tribute to Frank on Footy Focus from Lineker and Dublin

Remembered yesterday last time I saw him was Carden Park golf club near Chester about 10 years ago one of these celebrity/am events and he was on good form did a little speech and was getting stuck into few beers as we all were.He seemed fit and well  but last time Birch had him on the pitch at the KP it was apparent all not well.

As the saying goes they do not make them like that any more. 

Going over 60years+   with areas of indescisive-choice these are my First choice players for my team, including subs (14) I would Chose from..

Shilton /Banks

Whitworth/ Rodrigues . **CBs ##(1960s-74/ ∆ Walsh/Elliot ) ... Rofe /Nish/Castagna

( Kante /Kember/ Mclintock)

Weller.                                                                               Mahrez

Gibson/Tielemans/Maddison/Parker

Vardy                    Worthington

Subs...Ricardo, Thompson ,Albrighton,Stringfellow ,Lynex, Schmeichel, Ulloa,Glover,Izzet,Rowley,Wallington,Lineker, Ndidi, ∆∆ Cambiasso,**

** Any CBs from that period Our Backline had over this period some Great Top Flight players ...∆ Including..These Two from Another era...

Morgan,Huth Legends no doubt, But IMO individually Not as good that pool of that period, ∆Nor as the other Two

## Fofana. &  Soyuncu still at the beginning of their careers..

∆∆ Too Short a career with LCFC, to Really judge..!! But he would be obviously up there...

Weller..Mahrez...Vardy...Worthington. Are IMO not debatable...They have created for me the ultimate Windows of my own memories/moments...

Those sharing the / :-  inseperable though somewhat descisive  Great players for those positions..

The subs, basically for similar reasons....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Going over 60years+   with areas of indescisive-choice these are my First choice players for my team, including subs (14) I would Chose from..

Shilton /Banks

Whitworth/ Rodrigues . **CBs ##(1960s-74/ ∆ Walsh/Elliot ) ... Rofe /Nish/Castagna

( Kante /Kember/ Mclintock)

Weller.                                                                               Mahrez

Gibson/Tielemans/Maddison/Parker

Vardy                    Worthington

Subs...Ricardo, Thompson ,Albrighton,Stringfellow ,Lynex, Schmeichel, Ulloa,Glover,Izzet,Rowley,Wallington,Lineker, Ndidi, ∆∆ Cambiasso,**

** Any CBs from that period Our Backline had over this period some Great Top Flight players ...∆ Including..These Two from Another era...

Morgan,Huth Legends no doubt, But IMO individually Not as good that pool of that period, ∆Nor as the other Two

## Fofana. &  Soyuncu still at the beginning of their careers..

∆∆ Too Short a career with LCFC, to Really judge..!! But he would be obviously up there...

Weller..Mahrez...Vardy...Worthington. Are IMO not debatable...They have created for me the ultimate Windows of my own memories/moments...

Those sharing the / :-  inseperable though somewhat descisive  Great players for those positions..

The subs, basically for similar reasons....

Ricardo, McCallister, Jackie Sinclair, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs? 

42 minutes ago, enmac said:

Ricardo, McCallister, Jackie Sinclair, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs? 

Jackie Sinclair was One of my favourites and I had him in my choices at first..But  I have Welller,Mahrez & Glover just clipping it on choice....

Damn hard descision....

The others IMHO, who I mentioned Top players, But I did say " My choice" so they were Not has Good as those Faces I prefer....

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Jackie Sinclair was One of my favourites and I had him in my choices at first..But  I have Welller,Mahrez & Glover just clipping it on choice....

Damn hard descision....

The others IMHO, who I mentioned Top players, But I did say " My choice" so they were Not has Good as those Faces I prefer....

Fair enough. Lenny was also one of my favourite players. 

However, wrt to Jackie Sinclair, he scored 50 goals in 103 games, Lenny scored 38 in 252. Love to have some numbers re assists. 

By the way George Best scored 137 in 361 games for Man U, which is not as good as Sinclair's goal to game ratio. Both played in the same era and I'd argue that Man U had a better midfield than City's in terms of assist capability with Crerand and Charlton. 

I know it's all a matter of opinion, but on this objective measure it must be Sinclair. 

n.b. Mahrez scored 42 in 158.

27 minutes ago, enmac said:

Fair enough. Lenny was also one of my favourite players. 

However, wrt to Jackie Sinclair, he scored 50 goals in 103 games, Lenny scored 38 in 252. Love to have some numbers re assists. 

By the way George Best scored 137 in 361 games for Man U, which is not as good as Sinclair's goal to game ratio. Both played in the same era and I'd argue that Man U had a better midfield than City's in terms of assist capability with Crerand and Charlton. 

I know it's all a matter of opinion, but on this objective measure it must be Sinclair. 

n.b. Mahrez scored 42 in 158.

Sometimes or more often, its about other memories than stats...

Jackie played in that period where we felt safe, Probably Gillies peak-period But  '69' relegation was not yet in sight...!

That said..with Borderline-favourites One can easily be re-persuaded....

He was for many years with Gibson my favourite player...Another moment Another day he walks into my " best ever" selection..!

There is Not One argument against him..except The memories I have of others & the situations they played in...

Ahhggh shit...Add him to the list..!!! :cheers:....:banana:

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Jackie played in that period where we felt safe, Probably Gillies peak-period But  '69' relegation was not yet in sight...!

He was for many years with Gibson my favourite player...Another moment Another day he walks into my " best ever" selection..!

There is Not One argument against him..except The memories I have of others & the situations they played in...

Nice one. I have happy memories of Sinclair. I was standing in line behind him and the goal and he just produced a  shot well to the left of the penalty area a` la Lorimer, which went in the top right corner like a rocket. 

Mind you, when I looked at the stats I was astonished. Better goal to game ratio than Best! Incredible. 

No idea why we sold him. Maybe he was homesick. Him being Scottish and moving to Newcastle. 

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Looked high and low for any footage of Jackie Sinclair. 

Virtually none, but found this. Playing for Dunfermline in 1962, second and third goals. Begins after 1 minute. Great atmosphere. 

L

• Like 1

Sinclair was a great player and like many players in the 60's I do not know why we sold them, maybe this was down to Shipman, who was not a forward thinking owner or did he just want the money.

A Rowley 1958 and he was the best goal scorer ever.

Derek Dougan 1967

G Banks 1967

J Goodfellow 1968

J Sinclair 1968

Len Chalmers 1966

Frank McLintock 1964

Was probably worse in the 70's, Why did we sell players like Shilton, Nish, Whitworth, Weller, Worthington?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dorkingfox said:

Sinclair was a great player and like many players in the 60's I do not know why we sold them, maybe this was down to Shipman, who was not a forward thinking owner or did he just want the money.

A Rowley 1958 and he was the best goal scorer ever.

Derek Dougan 1967

G Banks 1967

J Goodfellow 1968

J Sinclair 1968

Len Chalmers 1966

Frank McLintock 1964

Was probably worse in the 70's, Why did we sell players like Shilton, Nish, Whitworth, Weller, Worthington?

ON Shipman....there was a 2 Way split, Plus the Dont knows...

Under his tenure , we also developed & bought in & invested in some cracking players....& with Gillies we had our First successful years...

owners always Take stick...Dont forget without owners willing to invest or Run the club......You Dont have a club,

it was Simply Another time...and then there was no Player-Power or organisation...

With...Shilton,  Whitworth, Weller, Worthington?  Unfortunately, unfortunately the  Bloomfield Bubble had burst...

Nish departure, was Simply Football business, manager & owners Fought hard to Keep him...

The others...well just Nature of the Football beast, when Mclintock and Dougan at different times Moved on there was

a period around Filbert street where the atmosphere, fans side were At a low ebb...

With Banks though a small Shockwave & ripple around the terraces, but also to be fair....Many also understood & accepted there

was a Top Pupil (Shilton) Knocking hard on the door, so a sort of marmite descision...

Now then...when both Goodfellow and Sinclair went within a short Time of each other many young tears of  Frustration would flow.

Our wizards ,Tekkie- department & Soul seemed to be ripped out... One Year later Relegation became a formallity, even with some Good Youth

& Now experienced players, the Engine Room started to misfire and seemed to have totally lost their belief....

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

Does anyone else remember frank’s trick where he charged down the keeper or centre half’s clearance with his arm raised (the ball generally came back off his elbow) and then fell to the floor clutching his face ......the result was that the opposition got a throw in or goal kick (or the game was stopped) and frank wasted a few minutes getting treatment (and in those days you didn’t need to leave the pitch) 

he did it so many times and it was strangely never picked up on by refs .......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Does anyone else remember frank’s trick where he charged down the keeper or centre half’s clearance with his arm raised (the ball generally came back off his elbow) and then fell to the floor clutching his face ......the result was that the opposition got a throw in or goal kick (or the game was stopped) and frank wasted a few minutes getting treatment (and in those days you didn’t need to leave the pitch) 

he did it so many times and it was strangely never picked up on by refs .......

Just Sweet revenge, for all the times he was Kicked and Bungled all around the place....and refs did nothing & ignored even for  those Days the obvious...

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Hope the club have arranged a suitable pre-match tribute (I'm absolutely sure they will have). 

A minute's keepy-ups would be the best tribute. By everyone. Five minutes before kick off.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...