Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BirminghamFox

RIP Frank Worthington :(

I remember seeing Frank in 1986/7 up at Tranmere Rovers when I lived near there. By that time he was a journeyman but it was brilliant to see that he still had those skills and wrong footed defenders, kept close control, flicks and a rocket left foot. Great watching him and Well down at Filbert Street in the 1970s and the first game I saw live at Leicester, he scored a hat-trick against Ipswich 5-0. I think that was 1973/4. Should have won more England caps, but in those days they didn't like the mavericks and the skilled players. 

I can remember being about 7 years old and sitting on the wall at the front of the Kop for a midweek game at home to Leeds. The atmosphere under the lights was unbelievable especially at that age. I haven't looked it up but my memory is we won 2-1 having been 1 down with Wortho getting the winner with a thumping left foot shot in front of the Kop. The song of the evening was " what's it like to be outclassed Leeds United." 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, enmac said:

Wow! Now I REALLY get why people raved about Frank...

When you watch all footballers nowadays do fancy flicks and tricks with the ball and you realise that the reason that they all do it, and why Worthington is so revered, is because he's a pioneer of all what the kids these days refer to as 'Tekkers' 40-50 years ago.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dynamark said:

Does anyone else remember that trick he did when running out he would let the ball drop behind and flick it onto his heel with the trailing leg up and over his head and carry on running with the ball.I spent hours and occasionally managed it 

Lets win the cup in memory of Frank

Glad someone has mentioned this trick of his.

I saw him do it in front of me in a game at Highfield Road - leaving one defender on the floor and another looking confused as he sped away to the goal.  There was an audible gulp from all around before a small ripple of applause from those Cov fans around me.

May he rest in peace - legend.