Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BirminghamFox

RIP Frank Worthington :(

I saw him when he played briefly for Brighton, ridiculous skill and class.
I remember when my mate was in hospital with a broken leg from football, Gerry Ryan was in the same ward, also with a broken leg, my mate said he was just lying there, when Frank came walking past, cool as cool, then in his wake, his little girl on skates sliding by popping bubble gum.

cheers Frank!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

Wow! Now I REALLY get why people raved about Frank...

When you watch all footballers nowadays do fancy flicks and tricks with the ball and you realise that the reason that they all do it, and why Worthington is so revered, is because he's a pioneer of all what the kids these days refer to as 'Tekkers' 40-50 years ago.

I like pioneer! Ahead of his time. 

• Like 1

RIP Frank. One of all time greats. I was lucky enough to regularly see him play in the 70's including a few times for England. So many great performances, such a special player. I was only thinking about him on Sunday as I reminisced our cup run of 73/74 , I went to every game, the highs and lows of a Foxes fan. I feel really gutted today. Let's win that bloody Cup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoyJones said:

His warm up routine was legendary, keepie uppies and balancing the ball on the back of his neck in front of the Kop, can still see him doing it. Worth the admission fee alone.

Luckily I went to most games between 70-77, so saw him play a lot. Was at his debut at Old Trafford, but whilst I remember many games, that one I have no recollection, although it was my 20th birthday that weekend. I know Frankie scored early doors and Best equalised with a penalty!!

My mates and I all idolised him and each time he played for England at home we went down to watch him. However, we knew the writing was on the wall in the 1974 game against Czechoslovakia. Frank got subbed off midway through the second half with the score nil nil, England then preceded to score about three goals in five minutes and Frank never started for England again. Disgrace really, in his prime. 

A great, great player, I consider myself privileged to have seen him play. He brought so much joy and excitement to the game. Thank you Frank and Rest In Peace.

I remember a home game against arsenal when frank was doing his warm up routine ie. Keepie uppies and catching the ball on the back of his neck. Alan Ball thought he'd have a go and quickly wished he hadn't bothered when he was obviously never going to master it. Frank then stood and watched him, clapping his efforts with the kop taking the pish behind him, and then the whole ground started singing " hello hello frankie wortho" in unison. Shivers up the spine time. What a guy. RIP Frank

• Like 3

I remember seeing Frank Worthington playing for Huddersfield against City as a kid in the early 70s and he looked a great player then. We were very fortunate to get him with Liverpool wanting him at the time.

His partnership with Keith Weller kept City in the top division in the 1970s and at the time he had Vardy like importance as a striker. His skills were legendary and it was surprising that he was not more successful at International level.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Edingleyfox said:

I remember seeing Frank Worthington playing for Huddersfield against City as a kid in the early 70s and he looked a great player then. We were very fortunate to get him with Liverpool wanting him at the time.

His partnership with Keith Weller kept City in the top division in the 1970s and at the time he had Vardy like importance as a striker. His skills were legendary and it was surprising that he was not more successful at International level.

Apparently Don Revie refused to pick him for England again after he lit up a ciggie at half time in one match lol

When you look at that team coming out it made me shudder a bit, it really doesn't feel that long ago. The atmosphere was far better down at Filbert Street and that, as Worthington said, was certainly flowing football compared to today at times. Can even hear some of the songs. I certainly don't think for all the hype and money that we're any better off, or is that just nostalgia, rose tinted glasses and age?

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

For sins, I live and work not far from Stamford Bridge. I was often able to get tickets in the home end whenever we played Chelsea.

My favourite football memory is standing in the Chelsea crowd with my cousin unfurling a champions banner when we won the title.  Tbf their crowd were very generous.

The Chelsea fans often used to chant about Super, super Frank, I loved joining in and changing Lampard to Wortho at the end.

I got away with it and it was worth the risk....

What a man he was, what a player

16 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

:( My all-time favourite player.

Frank was too unconventional (not boring enough) to get the many England caps that his talent deserved.

Mind you, Joe Mercer could pick a decent England team:

image.png.51e6ebf7b6fbbf42173c73a4ff6a0b8b.png

My dad took me to that game on my 11th birthday. It was amazing to watch the Leicester lads playing for England at Wembley.

RIP Wortho, a City legend and a hero of mine from the Bloomfield days.

• Like 2

A pity we will never see the likes of Frank again. His talent was a joy to watch - he had a great partnership with the other brilliant W - Weller). As has been said, the City video tribute is very well done; it does bring back some great memories,. There is one interview he gave just after he had turned 30 when he said "I used to get about a bit, but I'm quieter these days. Instead of going out 7 nights a week I keep it to 6".  A showman on and off the pitch; RIP Frank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyN11 said:

Frank was too unconventional (not boring enough) to get the many England caps that his talent deserved.

How Mercer was an England fans favourite.!!...Unfortunately he said he was only going to be a short period fit,

that wont go further than a caretaker manager...

Also he and later Allison ( in a later interview)....Actually Quoted as saying that the Poverty of English football was seen in the proof

that neither Weller, Worthington were not regulars, and a traversity they wont see 50caps...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyN11 said:

I went to this game. Unbelievable having multiple players from Leicester. And a goal from Frank.

Seem to remember the referee was Argentine!  A few dodgy decisions and from 2-0 it was 2-2!

55 minutes ago, Halifax Fox said:

I went to this game. Unbelievable having multiple players from Leicester. And a goal from Frank.

Seem to remember the referee was Argentine!  A few dodgy decisions and from 2-0 it was 2-2!

Not sure about the referee (take that any which way) but I think Shilton was clobbered in the 2nd half and remained groggy for the rest of the game.

I think it was Birch who said when coming back from playing for Leicester at Old Trafford on a Saturday evening that they would go out on the town that night when they returned. But Frank couldn't go because he had promised to stay in with his missus with their new born. But Frank being Frank got Jimmy Bloomfield, the manager to babysit for him. Genius ! 

Loved the biography One Hump or Two